Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Science Channel "Finding Amelia Earhart"  (Read 9020 times)

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
Re: Science Channel "Finding Amelia Earhart"
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2021, 03:57:32 AM »

I don't think coral has DNA but Penn State might be able to date the coral on the artifact by looking for elements that weren't present in the environment before 1945.
[/quote]

I would guess then that they are looking for elements/isotopes put in the atmosphere from the atomic bombs, if the coral on the artifact is free of them then it was washing around the reef prior to mid 1945.

Randy Jacobson

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2021, 06:39:06 AM »

Dating of coral is done via radioactive dating, usually C-14, and if fairly recent, by the uptake of man-made radioactive particles. 

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2021, 12:00:18 PM »

Every living thing on the face of the earth has DNA and RNA.  We are all made out of the same nucleotides.  That's what enables us to have breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  Not everything that has DNA or RNA is a living thing, depending on how people define life.  Viruses have one or the other, but they prey on fully-nucleated cells in order to reproduce themselves.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/09/200914112205.htm

DNA unlocks a new understanding of coral[/color][/color][/font][/size]
Date:[/i][/color][/font][/size]
September 14, 2020
Source:[/i][/color]
ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies
[/color]Summary:[/font][/size]
A new study challenges more than 200 years of coral classification. Researchers say the 'traditional' method does not accurately capture the differences between species or their evolutionary relationships. They developed a new genetic tool to help better understand and ultimately work to save coral reefs.

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org