Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Coast Guard History-Loran  (Read 5311 times)

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
Coast Guard History-Loran
« on: July 30, 2020, 03:17:10 PM »

I could not find this link anywhere previously on the forum
https://www.loran-history.info/Library/Loran-A/References/The-Coast-Guard-at-War-Vol-II.pdf

Pages 89 to 95 describes the establishment of the LORAN station on the south end of the island in more detail (still brief) than I have seen before.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 04:47:26 AM by Matt Revington »

Jeff Lange

• TIGHAR member
Re: Coast Guard History-Loran
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 04:20:16 PM »

A very interesting read. Quite a task those men performed in erecting those stations.
Jeff Lange

# 0748CR

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 05:52:43 AM »

One thing I had never known before is that they brought the materials ashore "three and one half miles from the (loran station) site on the south side of the island" which I think would be near the Tatiman Passage and the village and then moved everything to the southern tip of the island using a bulldozer and Athey wagon.  The landing place would have put them pretty much in direct contact with the villagers  and that move along the south beach of the island with Lt Mcguire and 14 enlisted men would likely (but not necessarily) have spotted any large pieces of aircraft if they had washed down that far.  The landing was done on July 18 1944 and the report details how young soldiers " who are picked for their physical stamina" become exhausted working in the July heat after only few hours.

Bill Mangus

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 06:58:12 AM »

I know Tighar has contacted and interviewed at least one of the CG members who operated the Gardner/Niku Loran station.  I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile, in terms of the Earhart investigation, to try and track down any surviving members (or immediate family) of the construction detachments (Condets). 

Matt's point about them potentially spotting aircraft debris is well made.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 07:53:41 AM »

One thing I had never known before is that they brought the materials ashore "three and one half miles from the (loran station) site on the south side of the island" which I think would be near the Tatiman Passage and the village and then moved everything to the southern tip of the island using a bulldozer and Athey wagon.

Landings of supplies for the settlement were traditionally made at the site of the present landing channel.  That's where the distance from reef edge to beach is shortest.  The remains of the road they bulldozed down the southern shore is visible in later aerial photos and was used by the Coasties for visits to the village (see attached from 1953).
Later resupply of the Loran station was done over the reef down near the station.  Landing craft were driven as close to shore as possible at high tide and, after being unloaded, were pushed back out to sea with the bulldozer.  That worked well until somebody drove the dozer over the edge of a big crevasse in the reef.

The landing was done on July 18 1944 and the report details how young soldiers " who are picked for their physical stamina" become exhausted working in the July heat after only few hours.

Tell me about it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org