Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amelia Earhart and the Nikumaroro Bones - Richard Jantz  (Read 42574 times)

Steve Oster

• TIGHAR member
Re: Amelia Earhart and the Nikumaroro Bones - Richard Jantz
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2018, 08:25:08 PM »

Other interesting items contained in personal belongings section of Purdue Collection; also on p. 41 of the pdf file (http://collections.lib.purdue.edu/fa/pdf/earhart.pdf):

Compact, leather with mirror and makeup inside; stamped Mondame [or Mondaine?], New York, NY, ca. 1930s

Smelling salts, probably used by Earhart to stay awake during her 1932 solo flight across the Atlantic, green glass bottle, The Crown Perfumery Company, London

Suitcase, leather engraved with initials “DBP” [Dorothy Binney Putnam? David Binney Putnam?], ca. 1930s [Poster's comment: Might this be "the suitcase in the closet" recorded in Betty's notebook?]

Steve Oster

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2018, 09:07:59 PM »

Sorry, Jerry.  Totally missed your earlier links to the Purdue Collection.  I do think that helmet is an actual artifact in the collection rather than just a photo.  Also, see my link to profile photo of Amelia in a similar (same?) helmet; also available in the Purdue Collection.

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2018, 11:20:03 AM »

That's ok, I often do the same.

That is a nice link;
http://earchives.lib.purdue.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/earhart/id/533/rec/6

I believe it is what is needed, however, I believe it is a view of her in 1928 and the skull cap is a bit different than the 1932 version that Purdue has in it's collection,...still, could anything be gleaned from the way she wears that 1928 cap and how it fits her head?
It seems Earhart had this little habit of grabbing a small tuft of hair and pulling on it to allow it to reside outside of the front of her cap.
 http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675063651_Amelia-Earhart-Putnam_Wilmer-Stultz_transatlantic-flight_Louis-Gordon
Several other sources, photos and the like show same result after cap placement.

Still looking for some good 1932 stuff.

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2018, 01:57:20 PM »

Will keep looking for items in the states,....but wonder what is over on the other side of the pond in Derry or elsewhere;

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/04/P2270017.JPG

Any members close by?

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2018, 03:01:46 PM »

It seems several items were taken out of storage and displayed during Women's History Month about a year ago,...and we see our skull cap there; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsyWkKLVh3g&t=2s 
Hoping results will be forthcoming, but we do have one more feature to study, should the cap study prove inadequate to help provide proof or non-proof.
The one feature Hoodless measured on the skull, that may help indicate sex was the orbits. It seems male and female differ a bit,....but one thing at a time is already a lot.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 03:05:25 PM by Jerry Germann »

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2018, 09:42:35 PM »

« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 12:02:57 PM by Jerry Germann »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2018, 09:12:04 AM »

Photos show that in the course of her flying career Earhart, not surprisingly, had several flying helmets (heck, so do I). The helmet we're interested in is the one now in the Purdue collection.  That helmet has several features that distinguish it from others AE wore.
•  The chin strap fastens on the right side and is adjustable by means of two metal loops.
•  The fit of the helmet is adjustable by means of leather straps anchored above leather patches over the ears. The straps extend forward and are tightened over the forehead by means of the same type of two-loop fastener on the chin strap.
•  There is no loop for a goggles headband.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2018, 09:18:32 AM »

Earhart wore this helmet for some, but not all, of her autogyro flights in 1931 and on her 1932 solo transatlantic flight.  I'll ask Richard Jantz if these photos are adequate for his purposes.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2018, 09:20:47 AM »

In this autogyro photo, note that there are no forehead straps, the chin strap fastens on the left with a buckle, and there is a loop in the back for the goggles head band.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 09:22:24 AM by Ric Gillespie »

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2018, 12:34:32 PM »

I've often wondered if any pairs of glasses she may have worn could be of any additional help in determining Earhart's skull features.

This pair in the Purdue collection; http://earchives.lib.purdue.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/earhart/id/32/rec/1803

Could they be of help in any way, in Dr Jantz's studies? They are a bit broken it seems,however; I think the most important part of these glasses may be the bow lengths.  Earhart may have bent the metal bows to create her most personal comfortable fit behind the ears, as most folks do. Any other glasses available anywhere, if this item could be of help?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 01:32:01 PM by Jerry Germann »

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2018, 06:33:31 PM »

Was wondering if the bones data base used by Dr. Jantz is available to download.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2018, 08:53:06 AM »

Was wondering if the bones data base used by Dr. Jantz is available to download.

What would you do with it if you had it?

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2018, 09:12:15 PM »

I assume that examples of her hats exist?

Not that I know of.

This ;  Women and Museums: A Comprehensive Guide - Page 33

https://books.google.com/books?isbn=0759108552
Victor J. Danilov - 2005 - ‎Preview - ‎More editions
The Amelia Earhart Birthplace Museum is owned and operated by the Ninety-Nines, Inc., an international organization of women pilots founded by Earhart and 98 other women. It contains period furnishings, memorabilia, and exhibits on Earhart and other women pilots. Life-size statues of Earhart are also located in downtown Atchison and a memorial park (see Memorials to Women). ... A glass case also displays her valise, hat, purse, and a hatchet pin she sold to help pay her fines.

I can't say what type of hat her birthplace museum houses,....looking through some photos, I see what looks like another flying helmet, but hard to see everything within the cases. I don't know if the skull cap is a gift shop item or???
http://www.ameliaearhartmuseum.org/
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 09:15:12 PM by Jerry Germann »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org