Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Welcome to the Glenn Miller Research board  (Read 48799 times)

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Welcome to the Glenn Miller Research board
« on: December 26, 2017, 03:12:21 PM »

From the TIGHAR home page, "Digging Into The Glenn Miller Disappearance":

"December 15, 2017, marks the 73rd anniversary of the disappearance of iconic Big Band leader Major Alton G. “Glenn” Miller on a 1944 flight from England to Paris. In terms of public familiarity, it’s an aviation mystery second only to the Earhart disappearance and, like the AE enigma, proposed answers to the riddle range from the ridiculous to the rational. The most credible research suggests that the UC-64 Noorduyn Norseman carrying Miller came down in the English Channel due to either weather or friendly fire.

"We’ll take this a step at a time. We are raising funds to be used to cover Phase One. The purpose of Phase One will be to determine whether what appeared to be the wreck of a C-64 Noordyun Norseman snagged, and briefly raised, by a fisherman trawling in the English Channel could possibly be the aircraft in which Miller was lost on December 15, 1944."
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 12:29:26 AM by Martin X. Moleski, SJ »

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: Welcome to the Glenn Miller Research board
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 05:34:10 PM »

"The Mysterious Disappearance of Glenn Miller" discusses a number of competing theories.

• Theory One: Miller had survived and later died in a bordello
  • Theory Two: Miller had died of medical conditions in a hospital
  • Theory Three: Miller's crashed due to bad weather
  • Theory Four: Miller's plane was downed by friendly fire
  • Miscellaneous Crackpot Theories:
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 08:14:59 AM »

"The Mysterious Disappearance of Glenn Miller" discusses a number of competing theories.

Articles like that are useless because they cite no sources.  That one has numerous errors.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 09:29:06 AM »

Articles like that are useless because they cite no sources.  That one has numerous errors.

I concede that the article is not as useful as it might be.

I certainly approve of citing sources.

I do find this summary of competing theories helpful:

• Theory One: Miller had survived and later died in a bordello
  • Theory Two: Miller had died of medical conditions in a hospital
  • Theory Three: Miller's crashed due to bad weather
  • Theory Four: Miller's plane was downed by friendly fire
  • Miscellaneous Crackpot Theories

That seems to me to be a fairly accurate taxonomy.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 09:32:45 AM »

That seems to me to be a fairly accurate taxonomy.

Agreed, except I think the various versions of bordello theory should included among the Misc. Crackpot Theories.

Pat Fontaine

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 01:36:26 PM »

Hey folks -
Pat here and yes, I’m a new guy to TIGHAR (FNG, working on amateur 3d Class).  I have some questions about the Glenn Miller project, and perhaps how things are done in general.
I’ve read above that, ‘We are raising funds to be used to cover Phase One. The purpose of Phase One will be to determine whether what appeared to be the wreck of a C-64 Noordyun Norseman snagged, and briefly raised, by a fisherman trawling in the English Channel could possibly be the aircraft in which Miller was lost on December 15, 1944’.
Who is doing the planning, and how is the planning accomplished? Is there a place where members can read and more importantly participate in the planning for this project? 
What, if anything, can a member do to help with the planning?  Is there a draft task list of things we’d like to accomplish in order to determine if the fisherman’s aircraft was/wasn’t GM’s plane?
I read that we’re raising funds - do we have a working estimate of how much is needed (realizing that funds would most likely be a function of the number, complexity, and location/duration of tasks we would like to accomplish)?  I’m working my circle of friends to see if I can get some to join TIGHAR or donate, but does the organization have any fund raising activities working?
Think that’s it for now - just wanted to see how all this works.
Thanks,
Pat
Pat
TIGHAR #5095P

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 02:14:03 PM »

Pat, these are great questions that I'll be happy to answer as soon as Earhart Bones media tsunami subsides a bit.

Pat Fontaine

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 02:50:16 PM »

Thanks, Ric.  Certainly no rush; just trying to come up to speed on how things are done.
In the meanwhile, I’ll see what I can dig up on characteristics of the English Channel: bottom characteristics, depth, tidal currents, etc.

Pat
Pat
TIGHAR #5095P

Alfred Hendrickson

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 06:07:44 PM »

Received the TIGHAR Tracks with the Glenn Miller story. Fascinating read. Very interesting.

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2018, 11:25:10 AM »

Curious as to how the research trip concerning Glenn Miller went. Will there be a report forthcoming that we can review and discuss?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 11:46:29 AM »

It was a very successful trip. TIGHAR members received daily email updates during the expedition.  Didn't you get them?
Mark Smith and I are now working on putting together the mini-documentary that will go to everyone who contributes to the Glenn Miller Project.

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2018, 08:27:15 AM »

Unfortunately, I must have been inadvertently left off the list of those receiving daily email updates. Will have to try to catch up on the details.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2018, 08:36:21 AM »

We checked.   You unsubscribed to the TIGHARNews emails in May 2014.  Once you unsubscribe we cannot legally opt you back in.  Pat has now sent you an email with a link you can use to re-subscribe.  Let me know when you have done that. Once you are back on the list, Pat will re-send all of the England expedition updates to you.

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2018, 08:41:20 AM »

Thanks,.....will do.

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2018, 05:30:24 AM »

Success in a very similar search for a lost American plane in the channel

https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-46624382
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org