Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Schmidt Ocean Institute ROV live video -- 27 October 2017  (Read 57889 times)

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
Re: Volunteers Needed
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2017, 08:32:20 PM »

Krystal...hate to miss any new things..but if you go back to about 104-105 about now , you may catch that cable image..right about after one of the fellows states who is that little guy here?.

Krystal McGinty-Carter

• TIGHAR member
  • Kilo Mike
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2017, 08:51:26 PM »

Anyone else intrigued by these "sediment chutes?"

Bill Mangus

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2017, 07:10:04 AM »

It's too bad nothing Tighar-related was observed during yesterday's ROV dive at Niku.  It seems the areas the scientists were interested in didn't correspond wiith areas where airplane or shipwreck parts would most likely end up.  Too steep a gradient to stop.  It was worth seeing, though, a high-powered, patient, persistent team using a state-of-the-art ROV to it's full extent.

Better luck next time!

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2017, 09:24:57 AM »

Good Morning...I just wanted to point out that it was an awesome advantage to our team for this expedition to have taken place. I did see some things late last night Bill that caught my eye and I know their team thought things were out of the ordinary. One thing that was mentioned was the change of terrain so much around Nikumaurro. As they were ascending from 1000 meters last night they came across the lava features with the grooves in between them. Kinda like looking at erosion in the mountains per say. My analogy of this ...and looking for three hours last night tells me that if this plane went over the reefs edge...I wouldn't wanna be in it. With the rolls and the slits and rocks and the steep slopes tells me that this plane got torn up pretty bad...so much to the point was there anything left? Anyway, it was neat to see a close in depth look at the features of Nikumaurro and the surrounding terrain. A big thank you to the expedition team for going and doing this....

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2017, 09:25:55 AM »

Forgot to mention the coconut they found at 1000 meters. Very well preserved!!!

Bill Mangus

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2017, 09:57:03 AM »

Yeah, I saw that.  I thought for a minute they were going to recover it.  That would have been cool!

Ben Howe

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2017, 11:11:52 AM »

I'm sure someone has already thought of this but: Any chance we can get the data from their multi beam sonar scan? They scanned the entire west end of the island.

video ROV SuBastian Dive 081- Deep Sea Corals of PIPA, 4:29:19

pilotart

• T3
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2017, 11:20:22 AM »

@Leon R White
Just return to their site https://schmidtocean.org/technology/live-from-rv-falkor/ and click "[Watch Live]" and you can see a rerun of all 10:28:47.

Watch videos from previous dives as well here: https://schmidtocean.org/education/rov-faqs/
Art Johnson

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2017, 11:44:32 AM »

I'm sure someone has already thought of this but: Any chance we can get the data from their multi beam sonar scan? They scanned the entire west end of the island.

Yes, we'll be able to see the multi-beam, probably some time after they get home.  Should be very useful.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2017, 08:51:45 AM »

Does Tighar want any one to point out verifiable images of gauges and such?

Verifiable images of gauges and such??  Absolutely!

Camels in the clouds - I know.  Would Tighar prefer NOT to have a mysterious shapes thread on this?

The trouble is, none of us is qualified to define what is and is not a "mysterious" shape in that environment.  The scientific team aboard Falkor had the expertise needed to spot anything unusual, and when the did they closely investigated it.  I don't think think there's any point in us engaging in a festival of pareidolia.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org