Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: New show on history channel about Amelia Earhart  (Read 69186 times)

Gary Vance

• TIGHAR member
  • "Virtual" member #4847
New show on history channel about Amelia Earhart
« on: June 15, 2017, 03:00:56 PM »

I just saw a quick promo on the History Channel, I think it was called "Amelia Earhart, the Lost Evidence".  It start in July, has anyone heard about this? I wasn't using my DVR so I couldn't back up and take a good look.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: New show on history channel about Amelia Earhart
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 04:46:21 PM »

Somebody else saw that too.  Googling it gets nothing but try https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_Evidence

Apparently the History Channel has a series by that name about WWII.  I smell a Japanese Capture show.

Margaret Sanders

• T1
  • Just a regular girl here!
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 09:55:52 PM »

Watched Amelia: A Tale of Two Sisters last night on Netflix. The show was well-balanced in that TIGHAR's theory was explained succinctly, and then Ric was given time for rebuttal after others voiced conflicting views. I recommend it!
I'm no expert; just happy to be here.👀
#4777A

Gary Vance

• TIGHAR member
  • "Virtual" member #4847
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 03:20:09 PM »

Just caught the end of the new promo. It's on July 9th, I didn't catch the time though.

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 07:10:56 PM »

According to the web blog "Chasing Earhart" this new show involves Dick Spink, who is one of the folks that is promoting the ditched at Milli Atoll hypothesis.  This is the same guy who claimed to have found parts of an Electra back in 2015(?) including the cover to the external power port and dust covers for the wheel brakes, neither of which existed.

https://www.facebook.com/chasingearhart/

amck

Gary Vance

• TIGHAR member
  • "Virtual" member #4847
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 09:22:09 PM »

Just saw the promo again.  July 9th at 9pm.

Bill Mangus

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 07:30:37 AM »

NBC's Today Show splashed a big story on the History Channel's upcoming special this morning, including a "never before seen" picture of people they say are AE and FN.

Go to NBC News site for complete story and video of this morning's story.

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 11:39:02 AM »

This is so intriguing! According to the author of this "news" story, Amelia and Noonan left New Guinea at midnight on July 2, 1937, taking off "into the dark, muggy night." <snort> I guess the film of the takeoff was shot through Japanese night-vision lenses!  :D

And I am so relieved to see that the crouching figure on the dock in Jaluit wearing a white shirt clearly shows the humanity of her captors, who let her change out of the dark colored shirt she was wearing when she departed Lae.   ::)
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Bill Mangus

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 12:45:00 PM »

. . . and "Fred" is wearing a white shirt (t-shirt?) and white pants ::)

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 12:47:37 PM »

. . . and "Fred" is wearing a white shirt (t-shirt?) and white pants ::)

Yep, I was thinking the same thing. I’m so happy Fred finally got a new shirt.
That lady in the Muumuu dress is part of a Japanese guard?
Seriously though:
No date on photo.
The whole scene looks very casual. 
The person suggested to be Earhart is not facing the camera and has longer and darker hair than the B&W photo of Earhart
Bottom line you can’t see her, or more likely his, face.
Noonan’s looks were kind of generic and that photo is too blurry to discern any detailed or distinctive features.
What is supposed to be “barge with plane” looks more like a sailboat with a mast and the mainsheet furled on the boom, much like the sailboat to the left.
3971R

« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 12:28:35 PM by Greg Daspit »

James Champion

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 06:15:23 PM »

I've seen a few internet stories, and caught ABC evening news.
Where are the Japanese holding them captive? Where are the Japanese navy ships? This photo is more like that of a trading harbor with no military presence at all. If the person behind the camera was trying to get a picture of rescued aviators, then the photo is a total failure.

With film you did not just randomly snap pictures. Film was expensive, could be hard to buy away from major civilization, cost to develop, and you wouldn't see the results for weeks. I'm just trying to figure out from the composition of the picture what the photographer was trying to capture and why. If the sailboat and the people next to it was the purpose, why not take a few steps forward and frame just those parts. Seems to me he/she was trying to capture a harbor where he/she just arrived with a group of people in a sailboat compared to a ship like he/she would soon depart in as a step of a journey.

If this is Fred and Amelia, then they are only a few yards from finding a custom agent, port authority, shipping company desk, harbor radio station, or somewhere else to send a message or telegram saying they've been rescued, wire money for a ticket. It is not time for sitting on the pier watching the tide come in.

Diane James

• T2
  • TIGHAR #4821A
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 07:27:02 PM »

Just for the heck of it I went to Bing Images and searched for pics of "receding hairline."   I suppose the hairline on the guy in this picture on the dock could be Fred's...  or a few hundred thousand other guys.

Stories about this pic are all over the network news tonight.  Oh well, there is no such thing as bad publicity. It helps keep Fred and Amelia in the public consciousness, even if it isn't likely so. 

Diane
Diane James
TIGHAR #4821A

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 07:53:08 PM by Diane James »

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 11:26:54 PM »

I was sitting in my living room having a conversation with someone when the news came across that History Channel had new shining information as to exactly what happened to Amelia and Fred in this newly examined photo in the National Archives. You're kidding me right!!! As I was thinking about that... I distinctfully remember sitting in a room with at least 40-50 tighar members during the 75th Anniversary conference 5 years ago and the topic got brought up about having enough fuel to reach the island. Exactly how much fuel she had left in the tank when she landed! Now, if I recall what the director of the Smithsonian Institution comments were and what Gary LaPook mentioned...there is no way remotely possible that Amelia could have reached the area of the Jaluitt Atoll or anywhere possible in the Marshall Islands. This thing too with pictures strummed from the National Archives..is something else. You're gonna tell me that the Japanese government back in 1937 is gonna sit by and allow prisoners of war to sit on a shipping dock and act like nothing is going on. Plus, if this picture is remotely possibly true...then what else is the government hiding from us! Overall, I think its not even close to being true...

David Williams

• TIGHAR member
  • Retd. Airline & Brit Military Pilot
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 02:10:55 AM »

author=Randy Conrad - You're gonna tell me that the Japanese government back in 1937 is gonna sit by and allow prisoners of war to sit on a shipping dock and act like nothing is going on.

A point of order, you got to remember that there were no POW's in 1937.  WWII did not kick off until September 1939 and America sat on the fence until the Pearl Harbour attack by the Japs in 1942! Japan & US were not at war nor enemies until 5 years after the duo went missing.  IF the photo can be proven to be AE and FN in Jaluit then maybe there could be some merit to them being on a civil 'US Spy Mission' for FDR's administration but I doubt this.

Wherever this photo was found I'm thinking there probably is information in the same file or folder regarding the circumstances of the scene, maybe even some info on the back of the photo. Maybe the people digging this photo up do not want any such info to be published if they have an agenda!!! :o
Dave W
in the frozen north

« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 03:10:49 AM by David Williams »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org