Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Noonan letters auctioned  (Read 8578 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Noonan letters auctioned
« on: June 10, 2016, 08:44:57 AM »

http://www.paulfrasercollectibles.com/news/space-and-aviation/amelia-earhart-navigator-archive-sells-for-19-000/21269.page

On Wednesday, June 8, some important Noonan archival material, including letters he wrote during the world fllght, were auctioned and purchased by someone for almost $19,000.  We've know for along time that there are letters out there we haven't seen. The owner wouldn't release them, hoping to eventually sell them. Now they've apparently been sold and the new owner may have a more responsible attitude toward sharing historical information. We don't need the actual letters but their content could be extremely revealing.

I've queried the auction house to see if they will release the name of the buyer.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: Noonan letters auctioned
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 08:55:04 AM »

We don't need the actual letters but their content could be extremely revealing.

It never ceases to amaze me that new primary sources keep turning up after all these years!
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 09:08:05 AM »

It never ceases to amaze me that new primary sources keep turning up after all these years!

These are not necessarily new sources. I have a hunch that this is the material that was held by the Pasadori family.  Noonan's second wife was born Mary Bea Pasadori.   When she died she left her memorabilia from her marriage to Noonan with her birth family.  The family released a couple of the letters to us several years ago but wouldn't let us see the others.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 10:56:24 AM »

Good news.  Bonhams is willing to forward an email from me to the buyer. 

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 01:05:14 PM »

The letters to Helen Day are out there available and were from the world flight. 
What are these letters your refer to suspected to be...and how are they suspected to be different? 
Thanks!
TIGHAR Member #4154

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 01:33:25 PM »

The letters to Helen Day are out there available and were from the world flight. 
What are these letters your refer to suspected to be...and how are they suspected to be different? 
Thanks!

If these are letters I think they are, they are letters Fred wrote to his wife Mary Bea during the world flight and may also include correspondence with Hollywood actor Eugene Pallette.  Mary Bea's birth name was Passadori and, before she died (or as part of her estate), the Passadori family ended up with the letters. In 1998, former TIGHAR member Don Jordan convinced the Passadori family to let him photograph one of the letters Fred Wrote to Mary Bea (attached)and a letter Fred wrote to Gene Pallette but they would not release several other letters.

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 01:58:30 PM »

Got ya! 
Thanks! 
TIGHAR Member #4154

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 02:03:11 PM »

Interesting on June 9th "radio out of order". 
Seems to be a pattern...upcoming anyway.
TIGHAR Member #4154

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org