Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hard Facts and Sound Science  (Read 13689 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Hard Facts and Sound Science
« on: August 13, 2016, 12:30:19 PM »

On the TIGHAR website homepage you'll find a video of the Powerpoint presentation I gave in Asheville, NC on August 5.

Joy Diane Forster

• TIGHAR member
Re: Hard Facts and Sound Science
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 05:16:12 AM »

Thanks for sharing this, Rick.  The presentation was very well organized and very well done.  I really hope it generates some interest and donations!
TIGHAR Member #4239

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 09:22:36 AM »

Response to the video has been phenomenal.  So far, the TIGHAR Facebook posting featuring the video has reached over 14,000 people and generated 83 "shares" - the largest response of any TIGHAR Facebook posting ever. Comments are universally positive.  As of this morning, 1,373 people had viewed the video on Youtube.  Donations, new members, and orders for signed copies of Finding Amelia are coming in.  Very encouraging.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 08:36:28 AM »

Current tally 

Facebook - 20,788 people reached, 121 shares
Youtube - 2,022 views

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 12:43:39 PM »

This video presentation seems to be spinning off its own PR machine.  See

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3782724/Amelia-Earhart-died-castaway-Nikumaroro-island-eerie-evidence-suggests.html

I can't think of any other reason the Daily Mail would rehash this story right now other than someone watched your presentation and thought it was a good time to update their story.  There is a link at the bottom to the presentation.

Cheers

AMCK

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 05:06:30 PM »

This video presentation seems to be spinning off its own PR machine.

It's crazy.  Here's what happened as best I can reconstruct it.

Way back in April 2010, a journalist with the Melbourne, Australia "Herald Sun" newspaper interviewed me for an article he wrote about our then-upcoming Niku VI expedition.  He did a great job.

Late last month, he got in touch with me again.  He had seen the video of the Asheville presentation and noticed that one of the credible post-loss signals was from a ham in Melbourne.  That gave him a local angle and he wanted to write another article.  His story ran on September 8 and was headlined "Amelia Earhart mystery: New evidence shows pioneering aviator survived landing on remote Pacific Island".  It was well-written but the on-line version could only be read by subscribers, so it didn't get much international traction.

Possibly due to the Herald Sun story, on September 10 the New Zealand Herald (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11707328) wrote their own story headlined "Amelia Earhart made contact with radio operators for days after her plane went down." I had nothing to do with this story. The lead sentence in the article was "Did Amelia Earhart survive her plane crash? This is the most likely theory, with evidence emerging that she was making contact for days after her plane disappeared."  Nothing about "according to TIGHAR" or "Gillespie claims."  Just a flat statement that this is the most likely theory.

The New Zealand article was picked up by news.com.au who put it out on their wire.  It was picked up by the New York Post who ran it under the sexier headline "Eerie Evidence Amelia Earhart Died a Castaway."(http://nypost.com/2016/09/09/amelia-earhart-survived-her-plane-crash-new-evidence-suggests/)
The Daily Mail in the UK then picked up the story but wrote their own version headlined "Pioneering aviator Amelia Earhart 'died a castaway after crashing on a Pacific island' - despite making more than 100 chilling radio distress calls that were heard around the world." (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3782724/Amelia-Earhart-died-castaway-Nikumaroro-island-eerie-evidence-suggests.html#ixzz4JzRwsj9C)
James Wilkinson, the Daily Mail journalist who authored the story, wrote that "Earhart disappeared from radar on July 2, 1937."
Fox News picked up the story combining the New Zealand assertion that "This is the most likely theory" and the Daily Mail statement that "Earhart disappeared from radar on July 2, 1937."
Yahoo and other media outlets have also picked up the story.
Of course, I'm getting bombarded by people who think I'm an idiot for saying Earhart disappeared from radar but I gently tell them that their beef is with the media, not TIGHAR.

Although it was totally unplanned, I'm hoping this blast of media attention will help attract funding for Niku IX.

Jeff Lange

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 05:46:17 AM »

Kinda like the old circle game where you whisper a story to the person next to you and it is passed around the circle. When it gets back to the person who started it, the story doesn't resemble what it started out as.

But we have faith in you, Ric, to politely straighten them out while kindly directing them to the TIGHAR website. "Feel free to join, or make a donation while you are visiting!"
Jeff Lange

# 0748CR

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator

Harbert William Davenport

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 12:17:14 PM »

Another news article that quotes Ric and links his Youtube video and other sources:
http://www.seeker.com/amelia-earharts-last-picture-and-messages-resurface-2006922285.html
H. Wm. (Bill) Davenport
3555R Prof of Philos, ret.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 12:19:08 PM »

Another news article that quotes Ric and links his Youtube video and other sources:
http://www.seeker.com/amelia-earharts-last-picture-and-messages-resurface-2006922285.html

Yeah, that's our old friend Rossella Lorenzi at DiscoveryNews.com.  She does good work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org