Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 296 members  (Read 40626 times)

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
Re: 296 members
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 07:26:22 AM »

... most of the historical Niku team members don't seem to participant in the forums at all. Doesn't that seem odd?  ...

I suppose they don't find the Forum in its present incarnation to be to their tastes.

I don't have any data to back up this supposition.  I'm just guessin'.

You could be right!
If you think of a Forum as having a life cycle then this Forum is in its infancy.  Asking questions that the ‘old’ Forum had already answered.  New members are going over the process of understanding the whole AE final flight and how TIGHAR reached its hypothesis.  Hardly essential reading for older hands.
To be fair a number of expedition stalwarts have contributed to the forum and given insights into what happens and how things are.
Marty, Ric and others are always happy to put us newbie’s right and point us in the right direction.  Often to the very resources that the web site has to offer.
I’m sure that once the paying members have been privy to the findings of Niku VI and the available bulletins posted on the web then the forum will heat up as help is required from the general public.  A good example is the research that was carried out to find out the truth about an artefact that on first inspection appeared to be a knob, see http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Research/Bulletins/38_SecretsKnob/knob1.html
If I’m not mistaken its actual identity was discovered by a non member in the UK.

After a quick search I came up with the gentlemans name.  He was called Angus Murray from sheffield, England
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 03:46:00 AM by Chris Johnson »

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 06:35:55 PM »

... Father Moleski, perhaps you could encourage more input from these experienced and knowledgeable individuals.  Of course you have already invited one and all to join so I guess that is all you can do.

I hate being nagged and I hate to nag others.

Folks from Niku VI have to file their own reports to TIGHAR.  TIGHAR and its sponsors have first dibs on the material.  Watch for the new TIGHAR Tracks, due soon.  Members of TIGHAR get to see TIGHAR Tracks first.  It is very nicely printed.  Sooner or later, the issue will probably be archived with the rest.

In the meantime, my hat's off to the TIGHAR teams who have gone to the island.  I'm not qualified to do so because I haven't done a field school.  I also have my doubts about my physical and emotional fitness for the archeology.  I'm a pretty good typist and that skill is best employed somewhere within arm's reach of a keyboard.   :D
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2010, 06:46:55 PM »

If you think of a Forum as having a life cycle then this Forum is in its infancy.  Asking questions that the ‘old’ Forum had already answered.  New members are going over the process of understanding the whole AE final flight and how TIGHAR reached its hypothesis.  Hardly essential reading for older hands.

This version of the Forum is definitely in its infancy.

But even the mature e-mail version of the Forum tended to go around in circles as new members tried to get a handle on the relevant data.  I compared it to a one-room schoolhouse where all grades were being taught more or less simultaneously. 

To be fair a number of expedition stalwarts have contributed to the forum and given insights into what happens and how things are.

Yes.  Pay attention to posts by Andrew McKenna.  He's one of the stalwarts.

Marty, Ric and others are always happy to put us newbies right and point us in the right direction.  Often to the very resources that the web site has to offer.

I'm pretty familiar with the stuff that's on the wiki and I set up a special search page to help me get at material elsewhere on the site.  There are, at present, 1903 pages listed on the site map.  I haven't read them all, but I'm familiar with the resources that are available.

I’m sure that once the paying members have been privy to the findings of Niku VI and the available bulletins posted on the web then the forum will heat up as help is required from the general public.  A good example is the research that was carried out to find out the truth about an artefact that on first inspection appeared to be a knob, see http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Research/Bulletins/38_SecretsKnob/knob1.html
If I’m not mistaken its actual identity was discovered by a non member in the UK.

That is a great detective story.  See "The Knob That Wasn't" for "the rest of the story."
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Alan Williams

• inactive
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2010, 07:25:28 PM »

Chris,

Excellent point. Yes, lot of truth to that. Possibly the seasoned Niku expedition members see the forum as mostly newbie posts that they've been through long ago. Good insight.

Marty,

My hat is also off to the TIGHAR teams who have gone to the island. I salute them all. However, contrary to what you wrote, I believe given your clear dedication, knowledge, and insight, I would put your on my team any day.

Yes - Andrew McKenna gets a big thumbs up for great, thorough, meaningful posts. Thanks Andrew!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 07:28:21 PM by Alan Williams »

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 10:17:34 PM »

Marty,

My hat is also off to the TIGHAR teams who have gone to the island. I salute them all. However, contrary to what you wrote, I believe given your clear dedication, knowledge, and insight, I would put your on my team any day.

Thanks for the kind words, Chris Alan (!).  But you're meeting me where I'm at my best--all alone in my room, working on a keyboard.

I think I'd be a different animal if you exposed me to rolling seas, tropical sunlight, high humidity, and some wild TIGHARs.   :-\
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 09:43:05 AM by moleski »

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2010, 05:55:24 AM »

Marty,

Thanks for the kind words, Chris.  But you're meeting me where I'm at my best--all alone in my room, working on a keyboard.

I think I'd be a different animal if you exposed me to rolling seas, tropical sunlight, high humidity, and some wild TIGHARs.   :-\

Those were Alans kind words but i echo them as well :)

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2010, 09:44:44 AM »

Those were Alan's kind words but i echo them as well :)

Message fixed; mind still needs work.   :P

At any rate, I'm glad you guys are here, contributing to the Forum.  That's the positive takeaway for me.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2010, 04:03:08 PM »

Yes - Andrew McKenna gets a big thumbs up for great, thorough, meaningful posts. Thanks Andrew!

Alan - Thanks.  I remember when I was first starting up the TIGHAR food chain, I was pretty hungry for details of what it was like to get to, and be on Niku, so I try as best I can to convey what it is like in enough detail to satisfy the thirst of others.  Glad to hear that what I've written is appreciated.

Part of the problem is one of time management.  All the expedition Team members are also on the EPAC, and some are also involved with the Maid of Harlech and /or the Devastator projects, so many of us receive a flood of email traffic through those channels.  At times, it can be overwhelming, 30-50 emails a day on top of seeing what is new on this forum, trying to do some research on the projects, keeping up with our own personal and professional lives, not to mention making up for taking a month off to go to Niku.  I only just recently managed to look through all 3000+ unread email that came in while I was gone, and have been working like mad to catch up since my return on June 15th and the week of jet lag that followed. I still need to unpack some of my gear from the boxes it was shipped home in.  Several Team members have simply found to be information overload, and don't have the time to keep up with it all.  The Forum, unfortunately, seem to be one of the loads that gets shed first.

Thankfully, Marty seems to be one who can successfully manage the flood, and he's done a great job of filling the void and providing information to the Forum.

Marty - maybe there is or should be a way to ask questions of specific team members, and see if we can get direct responses from those individuals who don't normally peruse the Forum.  If there are specific questions, we can post them on EPAC and ask the Team member to answer on the Forum.  Just thinking out loud.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2010, 09:11:37 PM »

... maybe there is or should be a way to ask questions of specific team members, and see if we can get direct responses from those individuals who don't normally peruse the Forum.  If there are specific questions, we can post them on EPAC and ask the Team member to answer on the Forum.  Just thinking out loud.

Team members who are willing to be questioned can create Forum accounts; then other registered Forum members can send them private messages.

I haven't come across any questions yet that I felt should be brought to EPAC.  I do drag stuff from EPAC to the wiki from time to time, when it seems appropriate to to do so.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2010, 02:53:21 PM »

297 to date.

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2010, 08:16:32 AM »

up to 339 now, the TV programme sure has had an effect

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2010, 10:32:34 AM »

up to 339 now, the TV programme sure has had an effect

Very definitely.  There has been a very noticeable surge in traffic all across the site.  The first page of the Ameliapedia has gotten about 11,000 hits in the last week.   
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2011, 03:33:22 AM »

4 more members to 400  :)

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2011, 07:32:22 AM »

4 more members to 400  :)

This thread started on 2 August 2010.

I haven't got a plot of the rate at which people have joined, but my feeling is that many have come in because of the Discovery TV show and subsequent news reports.

As they are said to have said on the X-Files (I've never watched the show myself), "The truth is out there"--and I know where it is.  All I would have to do is fire up phpMyAdmin, collect the registration dates from the database, and make up a chart in a spreadsheet. 
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2011, 07:53:34 AM »

64 new members in December!!!

19 so far in January
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org