Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Master Timeline  (Read 57943 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Master Timeline
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2016, 11:10:13 AM »

I put these maps together as a way of keeping straight the three trips Earhart made to the East Coast with the Electra.

Daniel R. Brown

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2020, 12:33:35 PM »

Almost 4 years ago TIGHAR researchers started a project to determine the locations of AE and NR16020, including its equipment and modifications, daily over the period from 2 July 1936 to 2 July 1937. The evidence came mainly from newspaper archival databases, especially ProQuest.com and NewspaperArchive.com, and from thousands of photographs discoverable through Google image searches.

The current (January 2020) working version is here as a read-only Google Document:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EWWg4KlVwc0s07Fv6MLoiWORRe-pAJI1ZPBpQ_raux0/edit?usp=sharing

This is still a work in progress. Most of the images are believed to be placed correctly. A very small number are best guesses based on clues in the image (someone’s personal appearance, clothes, hair). A few are intentionally shown out of chronological order to provide supplemental context for other images or events.

It was surprising how all but a few weeks of AE’s daily life could be reconstructed from the public record, and how a visually coherent account emerged when all of those random photographs were placed in chronological order.

Gaps remain to be filled. We are especially interested in additional documentation of daily events during December 1936 through February 1937, and more details are needed regarding Harry Manning’s presence February-March 1937. I’d really like to know exactly when and where the airframe exterior photo posted 19 July 1936 was taken.

Notes: The document scrolls smoothly in Firefox, other browsers may differ. This is not intended to be a comprehensive collection of all images of AE so those that are not informative regarding the locations of AE or NR16020 or its equipment and modifications are excluded. “Online Newspaper Archives” indicates that multiple local newspapers reprinted articles as members of the Associated Press, United Press, Independent News Service, etc. syndicates. This TIGHAR document is for research purposes only, all images may be subject to copyright.

Dan Brown, #2408

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2020, 05:59:16 PM »

I wonder if AE attended FDR’s second inauguration which was on Jan 20, 1937, that might account for some of the open January period.   She attended the previous one  in 1933, that is pretty well documented and she did help campaign for him in the fall of 1936 .  I have done a quick search and have not found any thing but I don’t have access to any newspaper archives.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2020, 11:00:08 AM »

I wonder if AE attended FDR’s second inauguration which was on Jan 20, 1937, that might account for some of the open January period.

Earhart seems to have been in California throughout January.  From newspaper clippings it looks like she was doing speaking engagements in the first week of January.  On January 4 she and Mantz had the airplane at Mills Field in San Francisco when an engine back-fire started a fire the could have been serious, but Mantz and others got it put out before any serious damage was done. On January 8 AE gave a talk at Claremont College.  In late January she was in Los Angeles coyly denying rumors that she would undertake a world flight. I've added newspaper clippings to the timeline.

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2020, 11:18:50 AM »

In the Purdue archive there are navigation aids drawn by Clarence Williams (who also helped her plan the navigation for her 1935 flight to Hawaii) dated between January 12 1937 and mid February for the first world flight plan.  I have not been able to find a date when she visited him (I believe he was based in California), but there is one photo ( below) of AE with Williams and Manning which would likely date from late January to mid February 1937.  Edit: Looking at the pictures on the  wall and some other photos in the Purdue archive and I think that this photo was taken at the Earhart/Putnam home, so it is more likely Williams visited them there during this time period.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 12:14:11 PM by Matt Revington »

Jim Zanella

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2020, 05:59:58 PM »

What’s  with Amelia's right hand? Shadows?

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2020, 09:16:06 AM »

About the airframe exterior photo from July 16, 1936.

The photo you show of the Turkey Crossing plant is very similar to one ( see below) I found on this page (http://www.airfields-freeman.com/CA/Airfields_CA_SanFernan.htm#lockheedb1) which it dates to 1930.  This page also shows picture of the plant in 1939 after much expansion  which has some buildings that might match those in the airframe exterior photo.  It just depends if the plant was expanded by 1936.

Not related to AE but the plant was camouflaged very effectively during WWII using canvas with help from Disney
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 09:39:58 AM by Matt Revington »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org