Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Discovery News story on TIGHAR efforts  (Read 18850 times)

Steve Oster

• TIGHAR member
Re: Discovery News story on TIGHAR efforts
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2016, 11:56:15 AM »

I recall a lot of discussion about Amelia's true height.  Wouldn't both of these photos be especially helpful in calculating her height based on known references in frame?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2016, 12:05:26 PM »

I recall a lot of discussion about Amelia's true height.  Wouldn't both of these photos be especially helpful in calculating her height based on known references in frame?

The one of her standing by the prop would be good but Jeff Glickman already has the data he needs to make the calculation.

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2016, 01:57:26 PM »

The lighter color (what would be the gold) hardly shows up.  For a black and white movie, why even paint it?
Greg; Here are some closer images of that paint job .....I think the paint scheme went from nacelles to leading edges of wings as well.

Jerry, do you have a documented date for the first photo?  I see AE and GP, and that's Bo up on the wing. I don't recognize the other three guys.  I don't see Mantz. The little bit of striping on the nacelle suggests that this was taken during the time when the nacelles were painted.  The leading edges seem to have been painted from as early as August 3 (the X16020 photo). The sign on the hangar in the background may be a clue to where the photo was taken.

The AP caption goes with the second photo.  Where did you find the second photo?  I have it from the Larry Inman "Remeber Amelia" collection bit without the notation "prop covers"?  Those are not prop covers.  The back of the blades are simply painted flat black.

The first photo is from this site;  http://photoblog.nbcnews.com/_news/2011/06/14/6859283-new-yorks-historic-floyd-bennett-field-to-become-nations-largest-urban-campground

It mentions it was taken Sept 4th, New York, just before Bendix race.

The second was from an antiques auction house...I will have to correct the caption back to props painted ( I did originally have it reading that way)...but wrongly convinced myself to change it...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 02:04:06 PM by Jerry Germann »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2016, 02:02:51 PM »

The first photo is from this site;  http://photoblog.nbcnews.com/_news/2011/06/14/6859283-new-yorks-historic-floyd-bennett-field-to-become-nations-largest-urban-campground

Close but no cigar.  The Bendix race started in the pre-dawn hours of Sept. 4. The photo probably was taken at Floyd Bennett but more likely on the 3rd,
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 02:07:18 PM by Ric Gillespie »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2016, 02:24:40 PM »

Trivia re Floyd Bennett Field:  In 1969 I rode jump-seat on a NY Air National Guard C-54 (military DC-4) from Hancock Field, Syracuse, NY to Floyd Bennett Field for a Navy physical and various tests as part of my application for acceptance in the Naval Flight Officer program. ( I was accepted but I ended up choosing an Army program instead.) At that time Floyd Bennett was a Naval Air Station.  Nice O Club.   

Harbert William Davenport

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2016, 02:31:34 PM »

The lighter color (what would be the gold) hardly shows up.  For a black and white movie, why even paint it?
Greg; Here are some closer images of that paint job .....I think the paint scheme went from nacelles to leading edges of wings as well.

Jerry, do you have a documented date for the first photo?  I see AE and GP, and that's Bo up on the wing. I don't recognize the other three guys.  I don't see Mantz. The little bit of striping on the nacelle suggests that this was taken during the time when the nacelles were painted.  The leading edges seem to have been painted from as early as August 3 (the X16020 photo). The sign on the hangar in the background may be a clue to where the photo was taken.

The AP caption goes with the second photo.  Where did you find the second photo?  I have it from the Larry Inman "Remeber Amelia" collection bit without the notation "prop covers"?  Those are not prop covers.  The back of the blades are simply painted flat black.

The second was from an antiques auction house...I will have to correct the caption back to props painted ( I did originally have it reading that way)...but wrongly convinced myself to change it...

Here is a July 1933 photo of Wiley Post that appears to show the same hangar in the background that shows up in the first photo of the two posted above by Jerry -- the one with Bo on the wing, AE, GP & others in the foreground.  The Wiley Post photo is documented as being taken at Floyd Bennett Field, Brooklyn, either before or after his round-the-world flight of July 15-22,1933.  FBF was of course also the starting place of the 1936 Bendix Race.
http://web.archive.org/web/20091026220752/http://www.geocities.com/floyd_bennett_field/wileypost1.jpg
H. Wm. (Bill) Davenport
3555R Prof of Philos, ret.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 02:36:40 PM by Harbert William Davenport »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org