Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Plane in the Pond  (Read 41980 times)

Captain Andy

• T1
Plane in the Pond
« on: January 28, 2016, 04:35:30 PM »

Continuing on from status of the stick Ric as you requested here's my transcription of the letter from Patsy Judge to Ralph Martin

Patrick's Cove
June 18 1974

Mr Ralph Martin
Dear Sir
I know you will be surprised to hear from me I am writing you concerning the piece of metal which I found in 1932 as you remember I gave you a portion of this to you and this was in 1947 and you presented it to a place in England and they in turn wrote me a letter saying it was undoubtful a part of the undercarriage off the plane called either the Blue Bird or the White Bird perhaps you can find out which plane they were searching for here in 1928

At the present time there is a group searching for it in the pond where I found this plane and they are trying to deny that I was the first to find this part and trying to say it was years later so if you could write me a letter concerning this transaction between you and I in 1947 this would prove I am right in what I am saying

Mrs Willfiend Peters claims she can also give me a letter that she can remember me having it and giving it to you and perhaps you could contact some person who is still around where you presented it I trust you will be kind enough to write me and do what you can for me in this respect

I was indeed delighted to find you and Mrs Martin were still around and doing fine poor Mr Peters passed away a few years ago I miss him when I go to town he was a wonderful man if you write me my address I am writing at the bottom of the letter

If you can help me by writing me a letter to certify where you presented the piece in question you will be doing me a wonderful favor thanking you very much I wish you all the best from my wife

Yours
Patrick Judge
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 05:50:34 PM by Captain Andy »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Plane in the Pond
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 08:09:28 AM »

Andy, this is excellent work.  Thank you.  I agree with with your interpretation of Judge's handwriting.  He was not an educated man and there are many spelling and punctuation errors in his letter. I have modified your transcription (below) to preserve Judge's errors because sometimes his meaning is not clear. For example, he spelled "of" and "off" the same way so it's hard to tell which word he meant.

Having an easy to read copy of his letter helps us focus on what he said and its implications.  Think about it.  If what Patsy Judge wrote is true, then the mystery of the fate of Nungesser and Coli has already been solved. A "smoking gun" artifact was identified by aviation experts in England in 1947.  The word obviously never reached the media and the artifact and the letter announcing its identification have apparently been lost, but that identification did not happen in a vacuum. It was 69 years ago but somebody, or somebody's son or daughter, may remember it or even have some kind of documentation.  We need to think about how best to explore that possibility.

Patricks Cove
June 18 1974

Mr Ralph Martin
Dear Sir
I know you will be surprised to Hear from me. I am writing you conserning the peice off metal which I found in 1932.  As you remember I gave you a Portion off this to you.  and this was in 1947.  and you presented it to a place in England and they in turn wrote me a letter saying it was undoubtfull a part off the under carrige off the plane called either the Blue Bird or the White Bird.  perhaps you can find out which plane they were searching for here in 1928 ?

At the present time there is a group searching for it in the Pond where I found this plane and they are trying to deny that I was the first to find this Part and trying to say it was years later.  So if you could write me a letter conserning this transacton between you and I in 1947 this would prove I am Right in what I am saying.

Mrs Willferd Peters claims she can also give me a letter that she can remember me having it and giving it to you and perhaps you could contact some person who is still aroun where you presented it.  I trust you will be kind enough to write me and do what you can for me in this respect

I was indeed delighted to find you and Mrs Martin were still around and doing fine Poor Mr Peters passed away a few years ago I miss him when I go to town he was a wonderfull man.
If you write me my address I am writing at the bottom off the letter

If you can help me by writing me a letter to certify where you presented the piece in question you will be doing me a wonderfull favor.  thanking you very much I wish you all the Best from my wife I.

Your
Patrick Judge
Patricks Cove PO 13 site 16
Cape Shore Placentia East
Newfondland Canada

Neff Jacobs

• T2
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 10:02:26 AM »

Am I the only one disturbed by the fact the location of the undercarriage of the White Bird is well known?  The undercarriage was dropped on takeoff and is in e Musée de l'Air et de l'Espace (French Air and Space Museum), at Le Bourget airport in Paris, the location from which L'Oiseau Blanc took off.

Neff

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 10:11:47 AM »

Attached are my notes from a 1993 telephone interview with Ralph Martin.

Martin lived in Harrogate, North Yorkshire.  He said the AVRO factory that made Lancaster bombers to which he gave the piece of metal was about 5 miles from his mill.  Can we confirm that there was an AVRO factory that made Lancasters near Harrogate?  Did it, at some time, burn as Hawker Siddeley people told CBC reporter Rob Parker in 1974?  Parker mentions contacting an AVRO/Hawker-Siddeley factory in Manchester, but Manchester is a long way from Harrogate.  Where was the fire?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 10:15:59 AM »

Am I the only one disturbed by the fact the location of the undercarriage of the White Bird is well known?  The undercarriage was dropped on takeoff and is in e Musée de l'Air et de l'Espace (French Air and Space Museum), at Le Bourget airport in Paris, the location from which L'Oiseau Blanc took off.

Neff

See my notes from my interview with Ralph Martin attached to my previous post.  The piece sounds like one of the stainless steel supports on the fuselage to which the droppable landing gear was attached.

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 11:01:12 AM »

Interesting reading; Hopefully this link hasn't already been presented here.
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19930090627.pdf
I also came accross a diagram of what is supposed to be a levasseur detachable landing gear ( see attachment)
http://aviadejavu.ru/Site/Crafts/Craft32356.htm
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 11:02:47 AM by Jerry Germann »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 02:35:01 PM »

These are photos of the landing gear attach points on L'Oiseau Blanc.  Ralph Martin described the object Patsy Judge gave him as comparatively light, aluminum or stainless steel, no corrosion, bright and shiny, no wood or rivets, about 12 or 14 inches long, about 3 inches long at its widest part, with strange numerals stamped on it.

The parts manual for the Levasseur P.L. 4, from which the P.L. 8 was derived, lists the six attach structures as being made of "Acier spécial" (stainless steel).  Logically they would not be attached to the wooden hull with rivets but with screws.  Their very distinctive shape would make them easy to identify from photos of the White Bird so AVRO would not need to have the part numbers.

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 04:52:03 PM »

These are photos of the landing gear attach points on L'Oiseau Blanc.  Ralph Martin described the object Patsy Judge gave him as comparatively light, aluminum or stainless steel, no corrosion, bright and shiny, no wood or rivets, about 12 or 14 inches long, about 3 inches long at its widest part, with strange numerals stamped on it.

No mention of it being unusually shaped? Holes for fasteners? Notch cradles for the fore and aft pins? Does the length or width narrow it down dimension-ally from six possible landing gear source parts to ?? I wonder if he ever attempted to identify the numerals he saw, via photos or books?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 05:17:22 PM by Jerry Germann »

Neff Jacobs

• T2
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 05:32:33 PM »

There is a big difference in attach points and an undercarriage, but alright "part of the undercarriage."   During WWII there was a large covert Avro plant in Yeadon  which is not terribly far from Harrogate or Leeds or Bradford for that matter. The Yeadon factory is about 7.5 miles from the south western outskirts of Harrogate. 
Neff

Captain Andy

• T1
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 06:16:42 PM »

How do you think Patsy lost the avro letter and I found why Patsy was James Doyle's adopted son his mother died when he was six weeks old

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 06:56:58 PM »

How do you think Patsy lost the avro letter and I found why Patsy was James Doyle's adopted son his mother died when he was six weeks old

I have no idea how Patsy lost the letter.  How did you learn that Patsy's mother died when he was six weeks old?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 07:27:02 AM »

That is excellent research Andy.  Good work!

Captain Andy

• T1
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 12:56:27 PM »

Didn't Patrick McGrath mention that Patsy had another piece of the plane in the pond

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2016, 01:43:04 PM »

Didn't Patrick McGrath mention that Patsy had another piece of the plane in the pond

I think so.  I'd have to check my notes.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org