Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: about the history of the island Nikumaroro and the Carondelet Reef  (Read 13173 times)

Steve Dehner

• T1

I am not entirely sure about what I myself wrote about this all, but I am pretty positive that I am
right about all that I wrote about Nikumaroro Island...the island that is currently thought of being the
burial site of the aviatrix Amelia Earhart.

I will shortcut this message here by pointing to my url:   

https://www.scribd.com/doc/294530963/The-Nantucket-Connection

it is all the more poignant when you consider that her calling out the word "Norwich" was mistaken for "New York" by someone receiving her message days before she died on this godforsaken island.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 07:31:44 PM by ijzbir »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: about the history of the island Nikumaroro and the Carondelet Reef
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 07:20:32 AM »

That's certainly an exhaustive bit of research. 

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 09:47:48 AM »

There evidently was several sailing ventures during this period captained by a Starbuck or Folger or related somehow to whaling, sealing and discovery of new islands, many from the eastern US such as Nantucket. Being related in some manner to the original founders of that island, my limited research abilities have turned up some information related to it. I had not heard of this fellow, but found a Mayhew Folger who in 1808 re-discovered the Pitcairn Islands as captain of the sealing ship "Topaz". There were several Gardners who later came to the island of Nantucket and bought 1/2 shares of the land. I don't know if they were related to the Captain Gardner of Gardner Island fame.
Bob S.

Steve Dehner

• T1
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 04:39:02 PM »

I merely posted this because this forum tends to look for the truth and I like truth. Although a small contribution, I just had to post this since Carondelet Reef and Nikumaroro are often mentioned in relation to Amelia's and Fred's disappearance. Some writers only use wikipedia it seems and this, quite frankly, can never lead to the truth in the long run. No, it has nothing to do with the actual tragedy but when writers incorporate the history of these islands in the story about Amelia I rather like it when they have their facts straight. I think the mystery has been solved as of late...only the airplane needs to be found in the depths surrounding Nikumaroro. If this really was the case I don't understand as to why these people had to die from thirst, hunger or hypothermia on this island. The Anti-Freckle-cream jar/bottle is such substantial evidence since islands like Nikumaroro are so seldomly visited upon, even today, that it cannot be coincidence.
I am not a habitual gambler but I put my money where my mouth is this time. She died here. And so did Fred.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 04:54:44 PM by Steve Dehner »

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 04:43:55 PM »

Good post, Steve!
Bob S.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 05:09:33 PM »

I don't know if they were related to the Captain Gardner of Gardner Island fame.

There was no Captain Gardner.  The island, also known as Kemins Island and Mary Letitia Island, was named in 1825 by Joshua Coffin, master of the Nantucket whaler Ganges, for the ship's owner and Coffin's father-in-law Gideon Gardner who was also the U.S. Congressman for Nantucket.
(I'm related to the Coffins of Nantucket on my mother's side.)

Steve Dehner

• T1
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 05:26:56 PM »

Ric is right on this. The writer John Dunmore with his book (1991, page 115) slingshot this misunderstanding into the world. There was no captain Gardner, only a captain Joshua Coffin, employed by the Gardner family.

Steve Dehner

• T1
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 05:07:52 PM »

I don't know if they were related to the Captain Gardner of Gardner Island fame.

There was no Captain Gardner.  The island, also known as Kemins Island and Mary Letitia Island, was named in 1825 by Joshua Coffin, master of the Nantucket whaler Ganges, for the ship's owner and Coffin's father-in-law Gideon Gardner who was also the U.S. Congressman for Nantucket.
(I'm related to the Coffins of Nantucket on my mother's side.)

Ric, do you happen to have any daguerreotype/photo's/portraits of captain Joshua Coffin? Or know of their existence? I am asking you since you are a close relative to this family. I myself wasn't able to furnish any facial depiction of this man. Other information, let's say the ship Ganges, or manuscripts/logbooks running in the family that have not been sold to musea?

As I've shown via the URL I do all my research free of charge to gain a complete picture on the history of discovery of all these islands where Pacific writers before me had not the luxury of internet. This is a call to anyone reading this, who knows about certain island discoveries in the Pacific made by their ancestors and not published as of yet in books, papers or whatever media. Please come forward with these precious documents for they can contain information that alter our understanding of the western human history regarding these islands.

Btw, if Coconut crabs really ate the body of Amelia...would she not have been able to eat them first? And if so, would that not have kept her alive? Or Coconuts on the island? I have not read myself into this, but I suspect this topic has already been mentioned. I know that digesting proteins within a human being demands more water than with carbohydrates (which I reckon donate water to the body) and I think fresh water is somewhat a problem to obtain on this island. I don't know, merely shooting the breeze in the off chance.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 05:18:35 PM by Steve Dehner »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 05:15:12 PM »

Ric, do you happen to have any daguerreotype/photo's/portraits of captain Joshua Coffin? Or know of their existence?

'Fraid not.

Btw, if Coconut crabs really ate the body of Amelia...would she not have been able to eat them first?

Europeans who are not familiar with Coconut Crabs are typically terrified of them and don't even think of eating them.

Or Coconuts on the island?

There weren't many coconuts on the island in 1937 and, again, most Europeans don't have a clue about how to open a coconut.

Steve Dehner

• T1
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 05:36:26 PM »

I think that people in dire straits eat anything they can get their hands on. Fear of dying must overrule arachnophobia (spiderlike appearance of cocos-crabs) to an agreeable degree. And as for opening a coconut...Diamonds can only be cut by other diamonds...but a coconut is not a diamond. I could open one of those mothafooka-nuts within days, certainly.

Aside from all this, Ric. I do not know where you're coming from (I mean within this discussion with your +1000 replies) but I would like to know your current stand on the "mystery" of Amelia Earhart and her fate (and Fred). What do you think happened to her in the final days of her life? Please enlighten me, for this forum kind of got to me the past days, and its very tempting to do some research about it. I like to keep myself as far as possible from "History channel" and Amelia abducted by aliens...you understand? You may be right, since alot of (fe)males are terrified of spider-like creatures...but do you think Amelia was chicken like that? She comes across to me like a Bear Grylls on old footage.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 06:04:11 PM by Steve Dehner »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 08:48:43 AM »

Forum readers will note that Dehner's account is "muted."  His initial postings seemed quite reasonable and well researched but then things went downhill.  After making the last somewhat contentious posting on this thread he, or whoever he really is, posted several highly offensive comments on another thread. Apologies to anyone who saw them before we removed them. He's now gone and will stay gone.

Alfred Hendrickson

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 10:33:17 AM »

Thank you for that.

His attack on Stacy was really odd.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org