Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How much would be left of the White Bird?  (Read 12148 times)

Dale O. Beethe

• TIGHAR member
How much would be left of the White Bird?
« on: December 25, 2015, 10:26:09 AM »

Merry Christmas everyone!

Everyone seems to assume the engine would be the only thing left.  Assuming it's never been salvaged (big assumption, I know) wouldn't there be about three big aluminum fuel tanks, plus whatever metal fittings, perhaps empennage framework (?), etc.?  There should also be two sets of human remains, which generally garner comment if someone finds them just lying around.  All this would indicate to me it's never been found, and that, in turn, would indicate it won't be easy to find.

Hopefully Ric will chime in on this.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: How much would be left of the White Bird?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 10:40:56 AM »

Merry Christmas everyone!

Everyone seems to assume the engine would be the only thing left.  Assuming it's never been salvaged (big assumption, I know) wouldn't there be about three big aluminum fuel tanks, plus whatever metal fittings, perhaps empennage framework (?), etc.?  There should also be two sets of human remains, which generally garner comment if someone finds them just lying around.  All this would indicate to me it's never been found, and that, in turn, would indicate it won't be easy to find.

Hopefully Ric will chime in on this.

Remains of the propeller/propellor, perhaps?

The French Report, Chapter 1, "The Preparations for the Attempt"

"The two blade propeller was made especially for this plane; it was bigger than the ordinary propeller. It measured 3.80m in diameter, which left only 20cm of ground clearance, making takeoffs much more ticklish. It was made of forged duralumin with a pitch of 2.85m. We will see later, in the outline of the tests, that problems were caused by this propeller.  ...

"In Le Petit Parisien of April 21, it is reported that the preparations were to last longer than originally planned. The first indication was seen when several propellers were tried, but no choice had been made. La Presse of April 23, still under R. Saladin’s signature, reports that the tests of the propellers, the engine, and the cockpit gave complete satisfaction. In the April 25 edition, Saladin reports that, the day before, trials had been made at 3000m with a weight of 2500kg 'with excellent results.' But he notes that the week before, with the metal propeller, light vibrations were felt; with a wooden propeller, there were no abnormalities. Tests for different models of propellers especially fabricated for the flight were the subject of several articles in the daily Paris Sport, most notably the April 22 edition, which reports that certain tests took place in the factory at Chalais-Meudon.

"Le Petit Parisien of May 4, after having reported that in the wake of various incidents Nungesser and Coli’s preparations were longer than originally planned, said that they carried out their last trial flight the day before. This flight took place over la Beauce between Chartres and Villacoublay. The plane flew from 9:30 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. '… with great ease. With its new engine and its new propeller, and with a load only 1000kg inferior to its weight for the attempt, it maneuvered without the least difficulty.' A long article in Paris Sport on May 6 notes these facts and indicates as well that the compasses had just been calibrated by the crew, helped by the maker himself, Mr. Morel."

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Dale O. Beethe

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 11:34:18 AM »

Exactly, Martin!  It just seems to me there should be more than just an engine, and stuff that would more than likely cause comment if found and salvaged.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 10:12:31 PM »

Exactly, Martin!  It just seems to me there should be more than just an engine, and stuff that would more than likely cause comment if found and salvaged.

Agreed.

But I'm not sure we would draw the same conclusions from this starting point. 

Does this suggest to you that searching for the plane is hopeless?

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Dale O. Beethe

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 10:35:22 PM »

Not at all!  I think it's encouraging in that had the White Bird been salvaged, it most likely would have caused comment.  Since there doesn't seem to be any real documentation that it's been found and salvaged, it would tell me it's still out there waiting to be found.  (Probably by someone using good research and science to narrow down the possibilities as to where it's at.  Know of any groups like that?!)  If I lived in that area, I'd be volunteering to do the grunt work of looking.  I personally find this more interesting than AE, but I'm sure I'm in the minority on that score.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 08:02:41 AM by Dale O. Beethe »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org