Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reprieve for the subs  (Read 11372 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Reprieve for the subs
« on: November 22, 2015, 04:28:38 PM »

In the What's Next for the Earhart Project section of the new TIGHAR Tracks (printed copies being mailed tomorrow) I wrote:

Deep Water Search
Three expeditions have demonstrated that underwater search operations on Nikumaroro’s steep, unstable coral reef slope using remote sensing technology (AUVs and ROVs) are inefficient, inconclusive, and problem-plagued.  Manned submersibles are probably the only way to do a thorough underwater search for whatever remains of the Electra.  However, the future of the Hawaii Undersea Laboratory Pisces subs is in doubt and it is presently unclear whether other suitable manned submersible technology is available.  In any case, a thorough search using manned submersibles will require a level of funding that may or may not be achievable.  We’ll be looking for the right subs and a willing sponsor.

For those who do not regularly read the TIGHAR Facebook page, I posted the following two days ago.

Until recently, prospects for a comprehensive underwater search for the Earhart Electra were looking bleak. Three expeditions have demonstrated that underwater search operations on Nikumaroro’s steep, unstable coral reef slope using remote sensing technology (AUVs and ROVs) are inefficient, inconclusive, and problem-plagued. Manned submersibles are the only way to do a thorough underwater search for whatever remains of the Electra. The only suitable submersibles are the two Pisces subs of the Hawaii Undersea Laboratory (HURL). However, the Pisces subs were scheduled for deactivation and the University of Hawaii was planning to disband HURL.

Fortunately, there has been a last minute reprieve through a major influx of money from a foreign contract. The subs will now be upgraded and returned to service. Plans are also afoot for using the subs in an underwater survey of all of the Phoenix Islands and seamounts a year or two down the road. If that comes about we should be able to put together a TIGHAR search using the subs without incurring the huge cost of positioning the ship nine days each way from Hawaii.

Response to that news on the TIGHAR Facebook page has been overwhelmingly positive and encouraging.  It's hard to overstate the importance of this new development.

Dale O. Beethe

• TIGHAR member
Re: Reprieve for the subs
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 05:45:43 PM »

The news about the subs is indeed outstanding.  It seems to me that actual "eyes on" the reef slope is probably the only practical solution for absolute proof.  Of course, even if the Electra is found there, someone will claim they ditched far away and it happened to drift there before it sank.  If the Electra is indeed found off Niku, I wonder if at least some of the people who have been so vocal about TIGHAR being "full of it" will admit publicly that they were the ones who were way off base.  Somehow, I doubt it.................

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 11:12:30 AM »

Maybe, Dale. But I hope Tighars can keep moving forward with the positive thoughts we all have and not so much of the negatives. And I hope we don't get lost in other endeavors that aren't necessary now (like writing books and such) unless, of course, there is time and it helps drum up interest and funds!
Bob S.

Dale O. Beethe

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 05:34:00 PM »

Unfortunately, endeavors such as this ALWAYS require more fund raising, whether that be from books, presentations, etc.  I've always thought it's a pity that millions were spent with submersibles  "mowing the lawn" around Howland.  I don't think there is any shortage of "positive thoughts", but there's ALWAYS a shortage of funds, unless you can find a billionaire to bank roll your project.  (Evidently, none of the current billionaires are in a sweat to find out about AE.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org