Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Gardner / Nikumaroro Island - General Interest articles  (Read 41902 times)

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
Re: Gardner / Nikumaroro Island - General Interest articles
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2010, 11:19:25 PM »

I don't know where the NEAQ and PIPA are getting that little bit of information, or how Tukabu "knew there were cats on this island", but we've spent a whole lot more time on the island than either of them and as far as I know, TIGHAR has never in run across a live cat on Niku in 9 expeditions out there.  I'll put the question to EPAC and find out for sure.

There are little polynesian rats on all parts of the island.  They are more like big brown mice.  They prey on the crabs, and the crabs (and probably some birds) prey on the rats, so I don't think Niku needs cats to keep the rat population in check.  They do, apparently, get quite aggressive during the dry spells.

The rats were there before the British brought the colonists.  Trying to eradicate them now would be quite some project.  Might have to import some cats, then owls to get rid of the cats, and then colonists to get rid of the owls, then......

Andrew McKenna

Mark Petersen

• T3
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2010, 01:05:21 AM »

Thanks for the info, I was wondering about cats being on Niku myself as I've never read about that in the Tighar pages.  One other question, one of the links mentions that Niku was used in the late 1800s by Whalers.  Was that the last known habitation before the USS Colorado overflight?  What was the size of the camp?  It must have been a white knuckle exercise back then to land on Niku in a wooden boat before the landing channel was dynamited.

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 02:23:31 AM »

TIGHAR found the remains of a cat in the village during one early visit and also reported hearing but not seeing cats in the jungle.

Also of note is the structure that they identify as a 'temple' is more likley a pit used for growing crops?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 04:04:35 AM by Chris Johnson »

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010, 04:05:57 AM »

Thanks for the info, I was wondering about cats being on Niku myself as I've never read about that in the Tighar pages.  One other question, one of the links mentions that Niku was used in the late 1800s by Whalers.  Was that the last known habitation before the USS Colorado overflight?  What was the size of the camp?  It must have been a white knuckle exercise back then to land on Niku in a wooden boat before the landing channel was dynamited.

Follow link for brief history of the island and you will see that coconut planting was carried out at the tail end of the 19th century

http://tighar.org/wiki/History_of_Nikumaroro 

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2010, 06:30:11 AM »

We saw one very dead and desiccated cat in the Co-Op Store during our first visit to the island in 1989.  No sign of cats since then.  TIGHAR has spent far more time on far more parts of the island than anyone since the settlement was abandoned in 1963.  We know the place better than anyone. We've seen no evidence of a surviving cat population. PIPA's announced intention to perhaps try to eradicate the rats would be alarming if there was any chance they would actually do it. The island has a large population of Polynesian rats (Ratus exulans) that has been happily in residence for hundreds if not thousands of years. Lord knows what killing them off would do to the ecosystem.  Nothing good.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2010, 08:20:45 AM »

Interesting to note in this particular article there is (brief and only a passing) mention of a Niku cat population.

Any other expeditions (Tighar or otherwise) observe this?

A dead cat was found in the village on Niku I (1989): "Yes, dead, in the then-standing Co-op Store building at the landing, in 1989.  Whole, dessicated" (Tom King to EPAC).
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2010, 12:09:06 PM »

Interesting to note in this particular article there is (brief and only a passing) mention of a Niku cat population.

A dead cat was found in the village on Niku I (1989): "Yes, dead, in the then-standing Co-op Store building at the landing, in 1989.  Whole, dessicated" (Tom King to EPAC).

sure i read somewhere that you've heard cat noises in the jungle but you are the experts.

When they talk on other islands of exterminating rats arn't they talking about no 'local' rat types such as those from visiting vessels?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 12:38:58 PM »

I've never heard any cat noises on Niku. Norway rats (Rattus rattus) from vessels would be worth exterminating but I'm not aware of any such rat problem on any of the islands in the Phoenix Group.

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2010, 03:07:44 PM »

I've never heard any cat noises on Niku. Norway rats (Rattus rattus) from vessels would be worth exterminating but I'm not aware of any such rat problem on any of the islands in the Phoenix Group.

must have dreamed the noise bit up! Just read through all my available texts + the website and TIGHAR Tracks.  Just shows how your mind plays tricks with you.   :)

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2010, 03:12:49 PM »

I've never heard any cat noises on Niku. Norway rats (Rattus rattus) from vessels would be worth exterminating but
I'm not aware of any such rat problem on any of the islands in the Phoenix Group.[/quot]

PIPA Executive Summary of the 2009 Invasive Species Removal Report

http://www.phoenixislands.org/shownews.php?newsId=50

Some non Asia Rats - Rattus rattus + Rabbits !!!!!

Erik

• T3
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2010, 03:46:51 PM »

I've never heard any cat noises on Niku. Norway rats (Rattus rattus) from vessels would be worth exterminating but
I'm not aware of any such rat problem on any of the islands in the Phoenix Group.[/quot]

PIPA Executive Summary of the 2009 Invasive Species Removal Report

http://www.phoenixislands.org/shownews.php?newsId=50

Some non Asia Rats - Rattus rattus + Rabbits !!!!!

In H. E. Maude's report:

"The fauna of the Group can be dismissed briefly as consisting of... rats and crabs. Phoenix Island has a large number of very poor-looking rabbits, released many years ago by a visiting ship, of which more anon; and Gardner some of the largest coconut, or robber, crabs in the Pacific."

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2010, 04:48:49 PM »

In H. E. Maude's report:

"The fauna of the Group can be dismissed briefly as consisting of... rats and crabs. Phoenix Island has a large number of very poor-looking rabbits, released many years ago by a visiting ship, of which more anon; and Gardner some of the largest coconut, or robber, crabs in the Pacific."

Sir Harry Luke, From a South Seas Diary: Seven rabbits were taken to Gardner Island to "increase that island's food resources" (p. 228).
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2010, 07:03:42 PM »

I think the crabs must have eaten the rabbits.

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2011, 05:33:00 AM »

sure i read somewhere that you've heard cat noises in the jungle but you are the experts.

When they talk on other islands of exterminating rats arn't they talking about no 'local' rat types such as those from visiting vessels?

ok now i know the warning about the forum to be true.  While researching something else i found the info i aluded to in this post from a while ago!!!

The only mammals on the island today (as far as we know) are rats, which are quite numerous. Feral dogs and cats have been reported; we observed one not-too-long dead cat corpse in 1989, and occasionally have heard what sound like cat cries in the forest, but have never seen a live representative.
From this page

http://tighar.org/wiki/Location_and_Geology_of_Nikumaroro

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2011, 06:21:37 AM »

Unless .... unless it was the Killer Rabbit from Monty Python and the Holy Grail! I know, my bad.
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org