Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shipwrecks  (Read 9218 times)

Craig Romig

• T3
Shipwrecks
« on: November 04, 2015, 12:14:12 AM »

I wonder if shipwrecks would ever been checked into
 Such as a wreck on a uncharted island 300 mi Se of Hawaii. Its called the minow. 2 crew and 5 passengers went missing there in 1964.

Karen Hoy

• TIGHAR member
Re: Shipwrecks
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 10:49:50 AM »

Why do people still watch that idiotic show?

Apologies to anyone who will have the theme song stuck in their head all day.

Karen Hoy 2610 ER

James Champion

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 06:19:05 PM »

Gilligan's Island traditionally is located at 140\260 longitude and 10\260 latitude,  although in the episode in which it was stated they called it 140\260 latitude and 10\260 longitude which is nonsense.

I don't thinks Amelia had enough fuel to overfly Howland and reach there.

As I type this, Gilligan's island is on the tube. I find it less offensive than the sitcoms of today.

Craig Romig

• T3
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 09:26:06 PM »

I remember an episode where the professor said it was actually 300 sse of Hawaii. But I could find proof. I do kind of remember that latitude being given in another episode. I also think gilligan's island is better than most tv today. I still like Mary ann better than ginger.

Craig Romig

• T3
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 09:31:48 PM »

http://www.gilligansisle.com/where.html here's where I found the 300 se reference

Rob Seasock

• T2
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 01:04:18 AM »

The Professor had a thing for islands. Russell Johnson died from kidney failure at his home in Bainbridge Island, Washington, on January 16, 2014, at the age of 89. Just across Puget Sound from me and on my birthday apparently.

Military Career

After graduating from high school, Johnson enlisted in the United States Army Air Forces as an aviation cadet. On completing his training, he was commissioned a second lieutenant. He flew 44 combat missions in the Pacific Theater during World War II as a bombardier in B-25 twin-engine medium bombers.

On March 4, 1945, while flying as a navigator in a B-25 with the 100th Bombardment Squadron, 42nd Bombardment Group, 13th Air Force, his B-25 and two others were shot down during a low-level bombing and strafing run against Japanese military targets in the Philippine Islands. The B-25s encountered heavy anti-aircraft fire and all three had to ditch in the sea off Zamboanga. Johnson broke both ankles in the landing, and the radioman seated next to him was killed. Johnson received a Purple Heart for his injuries. He was also awarded the Air Medal, the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal with three campaign stars, the Philippine Liberation Ribbon with one campaign star, and the World War II Victory Medal.

After Japan's surrender, Johnson was honorably discharged as a first lieutenant on November 22, 1945. He joined the United States Air Force Reserve and used the G.I. Bill to pay for his acting studies at the Actors' Lab in Hollywood. While there, he met actress Kay Cousins (1923-1980), whom he married in 1949.

Craig Romig

• T3
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 10:24:05 PM »

That's cool. I didn't know that about Russell Johnson aka the professor.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 07:41:15 AM »

Craig ... oh, never mind.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 EC
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org