Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Notes, marks, signs...  (Read 12692 times)

Notes, marks, signs...
« on: July 04, 2010, 05:00:08 AM »

Hello !

Some silly questions just crossed my mind:

* Would AE and FN have been able to write any notes while they were stranded ? Would they have had paper and pencil with them ? If so, when the realized their end was near, would they have put these notes in some kind of a "safe" place ?

* Would they have tried to make some form of more or less permanent inscription(s) on some hard surface ? Tree, rock.. ?

I mean wouldn't they have tried to leave some form of recognizable trace of their presence ?

Just a thought.

Rudolf.
Tenno heika banzai.

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
Re: Notes, marks, signs...
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 06:06:23 AM »

Hello !

Some silly questions just crossed my mind:

* Would AE and FN have been able to write any notes while they were stranded ? Would they have had paper and pencil with them ? If so, when the realized their end was near, would they have put these notes in some kind of a "safe" place ?

FN would have had at least 2 pencils (propellor type) or Pens as you can see them on a pre flight photo in his top pocket.  Paper for doing notes/calculations.  I don't think paper would last long on the Island and i would point you in the direction of Dr Kings Novel - 13 Bones as to a hypothetical idea.

* Would they have tried to make some form of more or less permanent inscription(s) on some hard surface ? Tree, rock.. ?

I suppose you'd have to look at every tree and hope time hadn't erased the message.  I beleive native markings have been found.  Its knowing where to look.

I mean wouldn't they have tried to leave some form of recognizable trace of their presence ?

Just a thought.

Rudolf.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 10:17:35 PM »

* Would AE and FN have been able to write any notes while they were stranded? Would they have had paper and pencil with them?

I presume so.  Fred would have needed pencil and paper for his calculations, at a minimum.  AE was an author and kept some kind of journals or diaries.

If so, when the realized their end was near, would they have put these notes in some kind of a "safe" place ?

That depends on many unspecifiable factors.  How sharp were their minds at that time?  Were they in denial about the fact that they were about to die?  Did they have their pencils and papers close at hand at all times?

* Would they have tried to make some form of more or less permanent inscription(s) on some hard surface? Tree, rock...?
I mean wouldn't they have tried to leave some form of recognizable trace of their presence?

If they left such permanent inscriptions on Niku, TIGHAR hasn't found them yet.

Even if they did leave such inscriptions, people or natural events may have removed them.  The destructive power of wind and waves is astonishing.  There was a rather large marker at the end of the landing channel when TIGHAR began to work on Niku; it is gone now. 
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 03:57:36 AM »

Thinking of marks or signs, what was the conclusion to the 'G' marker at the 7 site? Was it ever resolved? My last recollection was that a Buka had grown over the feature.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 01:21:16 PM »

Thinking of marks or signs, what was the conclusion to the 'G' marker at the 7 site? Was it ever resolved? My last recollection was that a Buka had grown over the feature.

I haven't heard anything on this recently.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 07:50:17 PM »

I found and photographed the "G" mark in 2001 but in 2007 it was gone, apparently having been obliterated by scaevola growth which churns the coral rubble.  I didn't go to that spot on this recent trip.

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 01:43:28 AM »

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org