Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thoughts on the Bevington Object  (Read 54595 times)

Frank Hajnal

• T1
Re: Thoughts on the Bevington Object
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2015, 11:11:20 AM »

Further to the Launch Hypothesis:
Attached is a better copy of the photo of Nimanoa moored to Norwich City...

I don’t claim that what I am pointing out is a boat, I’m simply noting it since it seems relevant to the current discussion.  In the Nimanoa photo Ric posted earlier today I’ve circled (actually, ‘ovalled’) something that can be seen in the image next to the Nimanoa that looks similar to the launch/landing gear/whatever seen in the famous B.O. photo.  I’ll leave it up to others to say what relevance this has to the boat/landing gear/whatever-it-is.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 11:25:26 AM by Frank Hajnal »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2015, 11:17:17 AM »

In the Nimanoa photo Ric posted earlier today I’ve circled (actually, ‘ovalled’) something that can be seen in the image next to the Nimanoa that looks similar to the launch/landing gear/whatever seen in the famous B.O. photo.

As I wrote in my earlier post: "The small dark object in the water may be a canoe."

It does not resemble the Bevington Object.

Bill Mangus

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2015, 11:19:59 AM »

If you look at the aft portion of the sloping starboard deck on the NC you can see the shadow of the mast and crosstrees.  This gives a near-perfect sun angle.

True, but to my eye it looks like the time of day is different from the Bevington photo.  The sun is in the north and the starboard side of NC and the stern of Nimanaoa are in shadow.

Yes, we have no way of knowing if the BO picture and this one were taken on the same day.  I'm guessing Mr. Bevington didn't put a date on the back of the photos. 

Although . . . the sea state in the two pictures seem to be similar.  Would it be normal for the kind of calm conditions seen in the pictures to last multiple days?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2015, 11:40:13 AM »

I'm guessing Mr. Bevington didn't put a date on the back of the photos. 

Actually, we don't know.  The photos are fastened in an album.  We haven't seen the backs.

Although . . . the sea state in the two pictures seem to be similar.  Would it be normal for the kind of calm conditions seen in the pictures to last multiple days?

Not at all unusual.

[/quote]

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2015, 11:50:28 AM »

Further to the Launch Hypothesis:
Attached is a better copy of the photo of Nimanoa moored to Norwich City...

I don’t claim that what I am pointing out is a boat, I’m simply noting it since it seems relevant to the current discussion.  In the Nimanoa photo Ric posted earlier today I’ve circled (actually, ‘ovalled’) something that can be seen in the image next to the Nimanoa that looks similar to the launch/landing gear/whatever seen in the famous B.O. photo.  I’ll leave it up to others to say what relevance this has to the boat/landing gear/whatever-it-is.

Comparison -
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2015, 12:59:09 PM »

I make a motion that we formally retitle this discussion "Dueling Pixels:" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tqxzWdKKu8

And that's all I've got to say about that.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CE

Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2015, 01:14:08 PM »

Real comparison.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2015, 01:49:24 PM »

I make a motion that we formally retitle this discussion "Dueling Pixels

Or "Banjo Redux."  We've been down this road before and it leads to nowhere.  I'm locking this thread.  If anyone has a genuine, realistic alternative identification for the Bevington Object please start a new thread and we can try to have an intelligent discussion about it.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org