Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Funding ideas, project approach and means of finding assistance.  (Read 49383 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Funding ideas, project approach and means of finding assistance.
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2015, 11:19:04 AM »

Yes, Betchart Expeditions was the cruise company, and they went to the island where TIGHAR just happened to be at the same time, led by the knowledgeable people that we know.

No. The Betchart cruise was careful led planned to overlap part of the TIGHAR expedition.

Its the Image, Joe, the image that TIGHAR encouraged the cruise and wanted them there, by all means so they could find more artifacts and become a part of history! Did they, or didn't they?
There is a difference of opinion about that among the members of the TIGHAR board.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2015, 01:43:15 PM »

Thanks for the prompt response, Ric, that ought to answer some of the questions that people were dancing around but for some reason not asking.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 EC
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2015, 09:57:30 PM »

I'm gonna go off on the reef edge with this one but think it has alot of potential. It possesses alot of family time with also community effort and support and big corporations or big businesses like this as a whole. Gives all of those good pr per say and everyone comes out ahead. As many of you know, Ric and several TIGHAR members visited Newton, Kansas to see a replica of the Lockheed Electra. From what I have gathered it has been quite the task. It would be nice if that actual Lockheed Electra can be displayed for a short spell, before heading back overseas. Kinda of like a learning tool or museum. I also, think that by using all the aviation companies in Wichita...it would be neat to have say two weeks or three days on a weekend to have a festival to commemorate flight as a whole, and at the same time use Amelia and Tighar as the topic of subject. It would be neat to have everyone involved to learn alot about not only the Lockheed Electra but flight and airplanes as a whole. It will bring out an interest of flight to young teenagers abroad. Anyway, at the same time companies would give monetary support in return of good pr. Anyway, the good city of Wichita always thrives off of stuff last night!

1. Setup a centralized location to have an event. Setup a fee for entrance into an event or a multi-day pass.
2. Make it fun for young and old and those questioning minds!
3. Invite those in the community to participate with food and vending and etc.
4. Ric could have a workshop or workshops to tell the Amelia story in his eyes.
5. In the long run, corporations can give substantial sums of money as a monetary donation, and at the same time get a
    good tax write off.

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2015, 12:52:24 AM »

Monty, not so sure what you mean by "dancing". I see no dancing. Dancing is for happy times. In fact I sense a bit of sadness in the air.
By the way have you heard of the Phoenix? Ironic, maybe, that the islands including Nikumoro (Gardner) were included in the Phoenix Island Group. I believe in the Phoenix, she was a great bird. And this story is not over yet.

Bob S.

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2015, 12:54:37 AM »

That, Randy, sounds like an interesting idea. I hope it can be explored and developed further!
Bob S.

James Champion

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2015, 08:35:11 AM »

Randy - As someone who lives in Wichita I'm aware that the aircraft companies here are less inclined to support aircraft related public events since the downturn in the economy. There is an annual aircraft theme event that Tighar or others could set up a display or booth at called the Wichita Flight Festival. Basically a three-day weekend airshow with static displays and the typical barnstorming events. Some years it is combined with an open house at McConnell air force base.  However, last year and this year there hasn't been a Wichita Flight Festival event and I'm not sure of the reasons why.

If exposure is the goal, then Oshkosh would have the largest crowds.

If only Tighar could get funding from a big sponsor, like Koch Industries or the Koch brothers here in Wichita   :D

Joe Cerniglia

• TIGHAR member
  • Niku in a rainstorm
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2015, 01:16:11 PM »

Yes, Betchart Expeditions was the cruise company, and they went to the island where TIGHAR just happened to be at the same time, led by the knowledgeable people that we know. Its the Image, Joe, the image that TIGHAR encouraged the cruise and wanted them there, by all means so they could find more artifacts and become a part of history! Did they, or didn't they? Had they all been qualified scientists and investigators of historical aircraft with the same reasons for being on the island as TIGHAR, it would have been a totally different image. I think with the exception of yourself and a few others, such was not the case.
I appreciate the sincerity you bring to the discussion.

I know there are debates and uncertainty. I don't know much about the politics or the psychology of the motivations. Maybe others can address.

I know if you go to another 501(c)(3) and ask to participate directly in the research, they send you a link to a webcam so you can watch the qualified people participate directly in the research.

If you ask TIGHAR you get a chance to go, and do.

You'll give up 3 weeks, the fare is steep, but if you have a surpassing interest to go and do, there is a chance that, eventually, you can.

There will always be an open runway for those who leave the impression as, or actually are, the best and the brightest.

But one can't always predict the return address on the next Big Idea.

Consider Jim McClure. In 2000, he first proposed Betty Klenck might have heard "Norwich City" on her radio. He proposed this, out of the blue, on the Forum.

Or how about Peter McQuarrie. He stumbled on the Bones Papers while doing research - on World War II.

The "image," as one who was there, was of experienced people helping far less experienced people, like me, appreciate what the organization is all about. 

These are the people who needed it most.

Having a few best and brightest there was helpful to those of us who did.

I think there were more than enough best and brightest on hand to make a desirable team.

If this impeded the mission, that will certainly need to be addressed big time, but in my book it was one of TIGHAR's finest hours.

Joe Cerniglia

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2015, 02:24:49 PM »

If this impeded the mission ...

I am not involved in planning expeditions.

I had no hand in Niku VIII in particular.

Just reasoning from what I've read here in the Forum, it seems to me that the Nai'a was filled to capacity.

If there hadn't been a second ship, there probably wouldn't have been much archaeology done by the Nai'a crew.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2015, 02:36:16 PM »

Thanks Marty, but what archaeology are you talking about? Maybe the second ship should have brought the sub!
Bob S.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2015, 03:11:35 PM »

Thanks Marty, but what archaeology are you talking about? Maybe the second ship should have brought the sub!

The Nai'a had all of the people and technology that TIGHAR could afford to bring.

That is all that would have sailed this year.

The cruise ship augmented what TIGHAR was doing.

It did not subtract anything.

That's how it seems to me.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Jeff Scott

• T2
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2015, 03:38:09 PM »

Yes, Betchart Expeditions was the cruise company, and they went to the island where TIGHAR just happened to be at the same time, led by the knowledgeable people that we know.

No. The Betchart cruise was careful led planned to overlap part of the TIGHAR expedition.

I find this a curious statement.  The Betchart tour was first in the works in 2013.  The earliest public discussion I could find of it was this January 2014 thread:

https://tighar.org/smf/index.php?topic=1413.0

The dates had been finalized by March, according to this post on Dr. King's site:

http://ameliaearhartarchaeology.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/this-years-expedition-next-years-visit.html

Yet Niku VIII was supposed to happen in September/October of 2014 according to this April posting on the TIGHAR facebook site:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10151988917450658&id=224536440657

THE PUSH IS ON
The Niku VIII expedition, scheduled for Sept/Oct of this year, is our best shot to conclusively solving the Earhart mystery. The plan is in place, the subs are ready to go, the team has been selected. Now we must raise the money. We need your help to fund the mass-marketing campaign that will make that possible. Please go to the link below and donate to TIGHAR's 1937 Fund.

The expedition was only pushed to 2015 after initial fundraising failed to meet the September 1 deadline to charter the HURL submarines.  The first indication I can find of the rescheduled June-July dates for Niku VIII was October 2014:

https://tighar.org/smf/index.php/topic,1539.msg34162.html#msg34162

These new dates were supposed to be dictated by when the Nai'a was available for charter.

http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Niku8/niku8prelim/niku8prelimreport.html

The expedition vessel was booked for a particular time period – June 8 to July 1 – and had other charters booked for the rest of the year.

Something seems off if the Betchart tour was planned to overlap Niku VIII, yet Niku VIII's dates weren't known until more than half a year after the Betchart expedition dates had already been settled. Frazzled memories?
It's not too late to be great.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2015, 04:35:42 PM »

Something seems off if the Betchart tour was planned to overlap Niku VIII, yet Niku VIII's dates weren't known until more than half a year after the Betchart expedition dates had already been settled. Frazzled memories?

The Betchart dates were set in March 2014.  The rescheduled Niku VIII dates were dictated by Nai'a availability which was not known until October 2014.  There was, by coincidence, a one day overlap at the very end of Niku VIII.  Betchart later amended their itinerary so that there would be a two day overlap but, in the end, rough seas delayed their arrival and there was effectively only a one day overlap.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2015, 05:31:26 PM »

The cruise ship augmented what TIGHAR was doing.

I would disagree from the standpoint of money. While the cruise ship did augment the ground personnel, and the cruise did contribute a very small amount of cash to Niku VIII, it ended up costing TIGHAR more than $9,000. Armchair quarterbacking can endlessly debate what could have gone along on Niku VIII for that amount, but I suspect it might have been something pretty important.

Or so it seems to me.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 EC
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2015, 06:26:45 PM »

Armchair quarterbacking can endlessly debate what could have gone along on Niku VIII for that amount, but I suspect it might have been something pretty important.

Or so it seems to me.

I take the opposite view.

Your assumption is that Niku VIII could have saved $11,000 if it had not been for the cruise.

My assumption is that Niku VIII would have stayed for exactly the same length of time without the cruise.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2015, 06:34:53 PM »

Armchair quarterbacking can endlessly debate what could have gone along on Niku VIII for that amount, but I suspect it might have been something pretty important.

That's now how it works. It's not like we had $9,000 to spend and chose to spend it on Betchart. We paid for a 28 day charter.  We ended up spending one of those days shepherding Betchart.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org