Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2012 Debris Field in 3D  (Read 23266 times)

Bill de Creeft

• TIGHAR member
Re: 2012 Debris Field in 3D
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 09:25:28 PM »

On which photo Bill?
Well in the first two with the red tones...they are the same as in the video but without the red of course...
I don't know how to do the arrows and that sort of thing...but it's been identified with yellow arrows in the past...it's been nudging me for a long time; I even sent Jeff G. some pictures of radials that were relics from being on a saltwater beach...but before i learned how to post on here so not even sure if they ever reached him...I sent them email.
If it comes under discussion again I'll leap on it !!
But right now it's not worth zero-ing in on, probably....it would be noticeable in that 3D picture if it really is there. (But not something people would recognize unless familiar with dis-assembled radial engines).
Bill
Bill de Creeft

Tighar Member #4131

Byron Ake

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 12:15:55 AM »

Here is a crop of that pipe-like object. I’m not convinced it is man made though. In fact, after studying the images further I find myself rethinking some of the objects I highlighted earlier, especially the shelf (red arrows) in the second image. I found another very similar feature toward the end of the video so I am no longer considering it man-made, although the reverse “C” and small box features still intrigue me.

Yes, that coral is tricky. The only experience I have at discerning coral from man-made stuff is what has been posted on this website. This must be the worst environment (other than say, a thermal vent) to search for 75 year old airplane parts in.

Without stirring up too much more debate, I also wanted to mention the “wheel” just down the slope in the video. I believe it is an illusion. I have nothing solid to prove it- it just seems to me to be awkward if you watch the video thinking it is a wheel and tire, even a deflated one. In the 3D rendering, it doesn’t have much depth, and I don’t see any hard border between the sand (or whatever you call the white stuff) and the object. Looks to me to be a shadow. That shadow part appears sunken in, but it might be just because there is no information there for the brain to interpret. Unfortunately the parallax is horrible in this image, even worse than the others. If you watch the video, as the ROV flies over the object, you get the impression that it is not very wide. Also the scale is off. If the object were 3 ft in diameter like an Electra wheel the ROV would have to be moving pretty quickly. I’d be very interested to know what Jeff or other experts see in the 3D images. Well worth the few bucks for the glasses IMHO.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2015, 06:43:08 PM »

I'm trying to stay on Topic - ha.  Would it be possible to see more of the debris field video then the piece currently up there?

That's the entire clip.

John Balderston

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2015, 09:44:02 AM »

In my experience - including my experience at Niku - man-made objects underwater hit-you-up-side-the-head-with-a-two-by-four.  They're not coral-encrusted suggestive shapes. Take a look at the airplane parts in Lessons from a Buffalo.  That's what 70+ year old airplane debris in a coral reef environment looks like.
21 Sept 2015 news item in "The Telegram" covers PBY Catalina wreckage found on the Great Barrier Reef.  A different set of conditions than the Brewster Buffalo wreck. 
John Balderston TIGHAR #3451R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2015, 09:52:58 AM »

21 Sept 2015 news item in "The Telegram" covers PBY Catalina wreckage found on the Great Barrier Reef.  A different set of conditions than the Brewster Buffalo wreck.

Thanks John.  This illustrates to an even greater extent than the Buffalo, "In my experience - including my experience at Niku - man-made objects underwater hit-you-up-side-the-head-with-a-two-by-four.  They're not coral-encrusted suggestive shapes."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org