Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: X16020  (Read 118102 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: X16020
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2015, 05:02:36 PM »

This makes sense as she and GP were living in Rye, CA, or North Hollywood according to Susan Butler in her biography of AE,East to the Dawn, 1997.  Either place (same place?) is apparently close to Burbank.

"Rye" is Putnam's house in Rye , NY which had suffered a fire.  AE and GP were living in their new house in North Hollywood.

In Elgin Long's book (p.58) he says:
"Earhart took her first flight in the new Electra with Lockheed's chief test pilot on July 21. Three days later, on her thirty-ninth birthday, she took delivery of the $80,000 "flying laboratory."  She and Mantz both took instruction flights with the chief pilot to become proficient in flying the twin-engine plane."

As a source he cites a July 22, 1936  LA Times article "Amelia hops in new ship."  It would be nice to find that article.

Lockheed's chief test pilot was "Babe" Headle.  It's interesting to note that Mantz also needed instruction.  Mantz was an experienced stunt pilot but this was probably his firs twin and the first retractable he had flown.  It's still not clear who flew the plane home from Las Vegas but it was apparently Mantz who handled the paperwork.  The Las Vegas thing almost has to be for tax purposes.

Bill Mangus

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2015, 05:24:35 PM »

The 'Rye' reference came from the Briand book.  I'm beginning to suspect a lot of what's in there.  There's only a generalized bibliography and no footnotes.

Butler's book is much better.

I can just picture the three of them flying to Las Vegas, signing the paperwork and flying right back.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 05:26:07 PM by Bill Mangus »

Karen Hoy

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2015, 06:11:38 PM »

As a source he cites a July 22, 1936  LA Times article "Amelia hops in new ship."  It would be nice to find that article.

I just found it in the Los Angeles Times archive from Proquest.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2015, 06:39:15 PM »

Thanks Karen. Very interesting.  Lots of interesting stuff there.

Bill Lloyd

• T3
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2015, 08:48:40 PM »

Her comments under the paragraph titled, SIMPLIFYING OF DIALS,  "I propose to study the reaction to the vast array of flying instruments, having in mind possible changes to improve the possible case of piloting by these dials" is truly indicative of her mind set and visualization of instrument flying and the concept of cross check which all came into play on the Lae to Howland leg where monitoring those fuel usage instruments and setting was critical.

It is apparent that she was naive and not prepared for the vast undertaking that she wanted to accomplish.

Friend Weller

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2015, 07:34:26 AM »

The letter is especially interesting.  Apparently Mantz accepted delivery in Vegas and then flew the airplane back to Burbank.  I wonder when AE first flew the airplane alone?

I'll ask Mantz's grandson if he knows anything about the Vegas delivery...
Friend
TIGHAR 3086V

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2015, 11:09:57 AM »

Thanks Karen. Very interesting.  Lots of interesting stuff there.
Special equipment listed "Wind de-icers" in the article.
Did 16020 have wing de-icers?

Clarence L “Kelly” Johnson had an anti icing patent filed in 1940. (A ducted system that might not be apparent from external view)
3971R

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 12:17:18 PM by Greg Daspit »

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2015, 02:19:56 PM »

Looking at the rubber goods on the electra, it seems Lockheed wasn't tied into an exclusive contract with one supplier.
The airwheels were Goodyear , and it appears the boots or protectors for the tail were Goodrich.  Was this standard equipment or was it a special option?

Photos by Purdue
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 02:33:42 PM by Jerry Germann »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2015, 05:28:58 PM »

The airwheels were Goodyear , and it appears the boots or protectors for the tail were Goodrich.  Was this standard equipment or was it a special option?

The rubber leading edge protectors are not listed as standard times of the 10E so they were probably an option.

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2015, 10:56:05 AM »

All,
What part did Purdue U. play in this, vis-a-vis the "Flying Laboratory"?
Ted Campbell
What part did Purdue U. play in this, vis-a-vis the "Flying Laboratory"?

In 1935 Purdue set up a research foundation.  Wealthy Purdue alumni donated money (tax deductible) to the foundation.  The money was given to Earhart for the purpose of buying an airplane that was to be used as a flying laboratory and perhaps a flight around the world. For legal liability reasons the university kept it an arm's-length relationship. The airplane was titled to Amelia, not Purdue.

Ted Here is an Article;

http://www4.lib.purdue.edu/archon/?p=creators/creator&id=17

It breaks it down somewhat as to who the major contributors were,.....I see Goodyear and Goodrich are listed as donors, whether by cash/ equipment or both.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 11:41:55 AM by Jerry Germann »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2015, 11:06:53 AM »

Ted Here is an Article;

Jerry, please cite the source for that article.

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2015, 11:43:33 AM »

Ric,

I am searching through my computer history to find that particular article,...my above post is modified with a link to a similar version. Will provide link when I find it....sorry about that.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2015, 12:16:23 PM »

I am searching through my computer history to find that particular article,...my above post is modified with a link to a similar version. Will provide link when I find it....sorry about that.

Thanks Jerry.  It appears that the article was written by someone at Purdue as an "historical note" to the university's collection of Earhart papers. It raises some interesting questions.  Supposedly, the money for a "flying laboratory" was donated in 1935 and the purpose was "to enable the development of scientific and engineering data of vital importance to the aviation industry."  But what Earhart had in mind was "to conduct studies on how long-distance flying affected pilots."  There is no mention of a 'round-the-world flight.  Did Earhart come up with that idea only after the money for a "flying laboratory" was raised or was that always the plan and Putnam's sales job on Purdue was just a way for her to get her hands on a suitable airplane?

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2015, 02:22:46 PM »

Ok , I finally found it;

http://www.delcampe.net/page/item/id,156545897,var,Amelia-Earhart-in-1937-Debris-Purdue-University-yearbook-excellant-condition,language,E.html

Enlarged text;

AMELIA EARHART AT PURDUE UNIVERSITY
In 1934, Purdue University President Edward C. Elliott heard Amelia Earhart speak at a luncheon and was so impressed with her talk that he asked if she would visit Purdue and give a lecture for the women students. Earhart spoke at a banquet at Purdue on October 17, 1934, and discussed “Activities for Women After College.” After several talks with President Elliott, a contract was negotiated in 1935, stating that Amelia Earhart would be employed by Purdue University as a visiting faculty member at a salary of $2,000 per year. From the autumn of 1935 until her disappearance in July 1937, Earhart served as Consultant in the Department for the Study of Careers for Women and Technical Advisor in the Department of Aeronautics (part of the School of Mechanical Engineering) for Purdue University. Earhart was attracted to Purdue because at the time it was the only university in the United States with its own fully equipped airport. She was also impressed that practical mechanical and engineering training was available without discouragement to the women students on campus. At Purdue, Amelia lectured, conducted conferences with Purdue faculty and students, and initiated studies on new career opportunities for women. Perhaps most importantly, she served as an example of a successful modern woman for the female students at Purdue. While working at Purdue, Amelia stayed in South Hall (now called Duhme Hall), a women’s residence hall on campus. South Hall students vied with each other to sit at Amelia’s table in the dining room for meals. Buttermilk became an overnight favorite beverage on campus because it was Amelia’s choice. The coeds were not supposed to sit with their elbows on the table, and Amelia, being somewhat informal, would usually eat with both elbows on the table, her chin cupped in her hands. When the students asked why they couldn’t sit with their elbows on the table, the standard reply was “As soon as you fly the Atlantic, you may!” Amelia’s husband, George Palmer Putnam, first put the idea of a “flying laboratory” airplane for research into President Elliott’s mind. Elliott thought about it for a while, until the autumn of 1935, when at a dinner party at his home, Amelia outlined her dreams for women and aviation, which seemed very similar to Elliott’s own ideals. Amelia also spoke of her desire to conduct studies on how long-distance flying affected pilots physically and mentally. Before the evening was over, fellow guest David Ross offered to donate $50,000 as a gift toward the cost of providing a machine suitable for the flying laboratory. Further donations totaling $30,000 in cash and equipment were received from J. K. Lilly (of the Eli Lilly drug company), Vincent Bendix, and manufacturers Western Electric, Goodrich, and Goodyear. The $80,000 formed the basis of “The Amelia Earhart Fund for Aeronautical Research.” The primary objective was to develop scientific and engineering data of vital importance to the aviation industry. The Earhart Fund financed Amelia’s “flying laboratory,” in the form of a new Lockheed Electra airplane specially outfitted for her at the Lockheed factory. It was delivered to Amelia in 1936, and it was in this plane that she disappeared during her world flight attempt in 1937. In 1940, George Palmer Putnam donated Amelia Earhart’s papers, photographs, medals, and a few personal belongings to Purdue University. In 2002, Putnam’s granddaughter, Sally Putnam Chapman, donated an additional group of Amelia Earhart personal papers to Purdue. These included personal letters, poems, and Amelia’s famous pre-marital agreement. The Purdue University Libraries Special Collections now owns the largest, most comprehensive collection of materials relating to Amelia Earhart in the world.

I am unsure if this information is somewhere in a later date debris yearbook, the seller's description using solely his/her research mixed along with information taken from other sources,or written by someone from Purdue.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 09:43:05 PM by Jerry Germann »

Ted G Campbell

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2015, 07:26:00 PM »

Ric,

Have you ever thought of putting together a seminar on TIGHAR’s AE’s search efforts involving the original supporters of the original round the world endeavor?

Suppose you were able to get Purdue Univ. to host the event and invite Bendix, Western Electric, Goodrich, Goodyear, Pratt and Whitney, Lockheed, et al and associated aviation organizations e.g. AOPA, NBAA, ASTM, etc.  The purpose of which would be the last fund raiser to complete the “Round the World Flight” begun X years ago by conducting the final search.

I would think there are enough people on the forum that would volunteer their time with current/past associations with some of the aviation related companies to pull something like this together.

For example, I had a great deal of association with the ASTM, IATA, ATA, NBAA, FAA, etc. while I was Texaco’s International Aviation Sales World Wide Manager of Aviation Operations.  I worked on the TWA 800 task force, worked with the FAA in finding/developing a replacement for leaded aviation gasoline, work on industry standards for aviation fuel quality control standards, I hold various patents for aircraft refueling safety standards, etc. – it might take some time to reawake some of these associations but I would be happy to try.

I really think TIGHAR is at the point of a real “Hail Mary” event if we want to solve this puzzle.

Ted Campbell
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org