Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: 11 Tubes?  (Read 62911 times)

richie conroy

• T5
Re: 11 Tubes?
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2012, 11:56:19 AM »

jeff will try find out were this photo was taken

bottom left corner seems there is quite a few tubes there
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2012, 12:07:16 PM »

the above pic is on the purdue website it's a airport they landed at 

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2012, 12:44:05 PM »

Jeff maybe some good still's u can get from this video

on 10 minutes he says he has over a thousand images

i bet he can't produce a photogragh of aft section of electra  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OJDAeBHcz0&feature=related

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2012, 12:50:34 PM »

on the video at 13:56 that is not rear of electra is it as the scope is wrong side ?

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2012, 01:44:29 PM »

Jeff

any chance the 11 small tubes could have been stored in one big 1

or were maps put in it 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sdasmarchives/4728434349/in/photostream/

Member# 416

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2012, 01:24:10 PM »

Hard to say Richie, it looks like a map holder but, not knowing what the tubes/aluminium cylinders looked like yet doesn't make it any easier. The contraption marked A in the first image I put up looks promising and was hoping someone might have confirmed it or shot me down by now. It might be something to do with navigation?
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2012, 03:36:27 PM »

Yes it's hard to tell Richie, stuff comes and goes on this flight but, as it was a flying laboratory it would make sense that the experimental equipment was still on board at the Lae departure point.
http://youtu.be/X7dKPThKGdg
Here's a couple of stills from the loading at Oakland now, it doesn't say if it was the first or second attempt but, the Luke field inventory was completed after the first attempt went pear shaped and, that inventory contained everything that was shipped back to Oakland for attempt number 2.
Yes, I know it wasn't the last footage of AE like the title says is incorrect.

I am RELIABLY informed that object A in the photo is a set of weighing sclaes used to weight he kit being loaded on the Electra, so that's not their version of the skyhook. Object B I considered to be the reflection from the lighting but, not sure.
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2012, 04:42:59 PM »

The 11 aluminum tubes referred to in the Luke field inventory look like this, or very similar. These are the ones Lindbergh used with his skyhook and, AE and FN used the same, or very similar one to Lindbergh, he designed it.

These aluminium tubes fitted onto the end of the skyhook

This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2012, 04:57:47 PM »

Woody, thank's for this link, it's a great resource and gives us all a big help in identifying the kit loaded on to the Electra. Good man!!

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675063657_Amelia-Earhart-Putnam_Fred-Noonan_transatlantic-flight_Fred-Noonan
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2012, 08:19:28 AM »

The point of this thread was to establish what items, if found by image or physical capture, would leave no doubt as to whose airplane wreckage we are looking (if that's what it is). The 'smoking gun' that so far has eluded the Tighar hypothesis. For example, if the skyhook or the aluminium tubes which attach to it could be located then there would be little doubt as to the owner of the wreckage (if that's what it is) IMHO
I'll see if I can come up with some more 'unique to this flight' images, every little helps.
This must be the place

Sheila Shigley

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2016, 01:59:23 PM »

A closer look at the tube cap, and the note accompanying the tubes carried by Lindbergh, which gives a little more detail about the contents one could expect to find in AE's tubes if in fact the technology had remained the same or similar.

Here's a very detailed 1935 article by Meier himself along with field notes by Lindbergh--full of info, pictures and diagrams. Just found it, so I don't yet know what treasures it holds.

A long shot (and for that matter, I don't know when the US military initiated fingerprinting for servicemen), but if Noonan did collect samples and, per the procedure described, seal the tubes with adhesive tape, his fingerprint could conceivably be on the tape and tubes.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 02:24:35 PM by Sheila Shigley »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org