Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Lae Takeoff - a closer look  (Read 69646 times)

Tim Gard

• T3
Re: The Lae Takeoff - a closer look
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2014, 02:08:36 AM »

Are there any new images in this group?

Great post. Many thanks.

This link reports the session to have timed out.

All photos credit due; The National Archives of Australia ....  http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/SessionTimeout.aspx
/ Member #4122 /
/Hold the Heading/

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2014, 09:26:11 AM »

Great post. Many thanks.

This link reports the session to have timed out.

All photos credit due; The National Archives of Australia ....  http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/SessionTimeout.aspx

Thanks Tim,
                    The photos of the Lae airfield are the ones I enjoy the most , giving one a far away view, so as to see what the surrounding area looked like, ....that Y tree stands out in a couple of them.
On the link , click on guest highlighted in blue and it will time you back in, or one can go to their home page via a new search on google, yahoo, etc.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 09:27:48 AM by Jerry Germann »

Bill de Creeft

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2014, 11:45:16 AM »

Yikes!
I was taught: Twin Beech: no flaps.... For reasons previously given.
DHC 3 Otter: Take-0ff always flaps; always (on wheels) wheel landings... ("or we'll buy your wreckage or sell you the parts to repaiir it..."
Haven't seen that in any manuals but after sitting in it wheels /floats  for 24 years understand it completely (but will not enter in discussion no matter how unmanly it makes me seem)...
Grumman Goose: Air flaps; come up as you take off depending on airspeed on the water...
wheels:Flaps up and don't get into a situation where you are advancing throttles to maintain directional control ! ( Situation Amelia got herself into taking off in Hawaii...and evidentlyl she learned her expensive lesson

Point being:
When I am dead please do not judge my state of mind or my experience or my judgement of the weather conditions (including wind or the lack there-of) from old photographs...

Especially after so many years that all my friends are gone, and the hard-earned advice they gave me is forgotten...

Bill de Creeft ( In my eighties and...Sitting in the corner and holding my tongue as long as possible...but conjecture of this sort plagues this Forum; it's not Science, IMHO )
Give the Lady a break ...!?!
She made the Take-off. ...and maybe the best landing left to her.
Bill de Creeft

Tighar Member #4131

« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 11:52:37 AM by Bill de Creeft »

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2015, 12:07:21 PM »

In photo search box ...type in Earhart ,( any words)... several photos appear...image  M 119,3
                                                                                                                 image  M 438,26
are ones I have not seen before.

In photo search box ..type in Noonan,( any words) ...one photo appears ...image  M 119, 4

In photo search box type in lae airfield ( any words ) type in year 1920-1940,

three images of interest to me show up;
                   Image  A 6510,1070 ( dated 1904 , unlikely) but seems to show prewar view...Y tree
                   Image  A6510,2362   ( ""        ""         ""     ) ...planes by hangers
                   Image  A6510, 1083   ( ""        ""         ""    )  ....side view of airfield ..note Y tree

http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Research/Bulletins/27_LaeGallery/27_LaeGallery.html

These photos appear to be pre war, though I can't say 100% that they are.

I received permission to share the images I was referencing before....all photo credits due ;

The National Archives of Australia
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 12:13:25 PM by Jerry Germann »

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2015, 12:10:23 PM »

More Lae airfield views;

All Photos Courtesy; 

The National Archives of Australia
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 12:15:01 PM by Jerry Germann »

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2015, 02:24:10 PM »

I received permission to share the images I was referencing before....all photo credits due ;

Thanks for digging up the photos; thanks for getting permission; thanks for the posts!
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2015, 03:16:55 PM »

You're Welcome, Martin,

It was well worth the wait, it makes for easier posting,.... a very nice archive.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/our-online-records.htm

As mentioned, only 5% of their collection is digitized, what else is in there?

Link to begin digitized photo search here;
http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/SearchScreens/BasicSearch.aspx

I was also able to update the radio tower height on Nauru thread using permitted images.

http://tighar.org/smf/index.php/topic,1606.0.html
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 09:01:25 PM by Jerry Germann »

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2015, 04:46:30 PM »

I was also able to update the radio tower height on Nauru thread using permitted images.

http://tighar.org/smf/index.php/topic,1606.0.html

Very nice.

I think that pretty thoroughly debunks the mile-high theory.  :o)
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2015, 11:17:02 PM »

Pardon if any of these photos have been submitted on the forum, however: I thought I would share them here in the event they haven't. A friend of mine discovered them, and I think they are interesting, as they date from 1932-1943. The attachment labeled 30Mar43_Lae_OV, has description;....Viewing the port at Lae with the NADZAB road, Lae airstrip on left.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2015, 08:36:46 AM »

Pardon if any of these photos have been submitted on the forum,

Thank Jerry.  They are new to me.  I'll add them to our collection Lae photos.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2015, 01:14:57 PM »

Life magazine has put out one of its periodic specials, this one titled, Vanished: The Stories of Those Who Went Missing. You can imagine whose picture is on the cover, sitting at the controls of our favorite Lockheed Electra. The story on pages 42-45 is admittedly brief, but does give a nod to the TIGHAR hypothesis (while stating that two freckle cream jars were found on Nikumaroro).

What interested me was the photo on pages 4-5, captioned, Amelia Earhart takes off from Florida in June 1937 at the start of her ill-fated trip around the world. It shows an oblique rear three-quarters view of the left side of NR 16020 about 20 feet above the ground.

No flaps are in use.

LTM, who tries to keep his flaps flipped up at all times,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189EC
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2015, 02:43:51 PM »

What interested me was the photo on pages 4-5, captioned, Amelia Earhart takes off from Florida in June 1937 at the start of her ill-fated trip around the world. It shows an oblique rear three-quarters view of the left side of NR 16020 about 20 feet above the ground.

No flaps are in use.

You made the same observation about this Purdue photo last November.

AE's failure to use flaps has been discussed here, on and off, since the fall of 2011, at least.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2015, 04:13:38 PM »

No flaps are in use.

Nor would they be recommended at that weight.  She was only going as far as Puerto Rico.
The use of flaps was not standard procedure for takeoffs in the Model 10.  Report 487 calls for flaps at the very high weights such as the Lae takeoff.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2015, 02:50:16 PM »

I see. You learn something new every day. Sorry for unduly taking up the forum's time. It won't happen again.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 EC
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org