Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Items of interest found on Niku!!!!  (Read 29118 times)

Ashley Such

• T3
Re: Items of interest found on Niku!!!!
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2010, 01:29:03 PM »

Thanks for your kind words. We should know sometime later this summer.  It's a labor-intensive (and expensive) process.

You're welcome! Alright, sounds cool; can't wait to hear the results! ;D

John Joseph Barrett

• T3
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2010, 06:04:50 PM »

You know, if I was in a position such as AE or FN seem to have been based on what's been found thus far I think I would have hauled anything I could have from the plane to the relative safety of the shore/beach. Once it was there I could go through it at my leisure to use or discard items as I desired. I may have even tried to take parts of the plane that I thought may come in handy later on. Since none of the radio transmissions from the plane seem to indicate that they heard any replies I would have to believe that they didn't have a lot of hope for an immediate rescue and would have tried to save everything they could for possible use later on. I'm not sure what personal bags they may have had aboard with them but I think that maybe a change of clothes and some toiletries, in AE's case some make-up, etc., wouldn't have been unusual so they could clean up and change after landing. Not unlike what many people take aboard planes in their carry on. If its in the bag that you grab its with you whether you need it or not at the time. It may prove useful later on so, no I don't think a compact or avon bottles being at the seven site are at all out of place. Keep up the good work. This is a fascinating chapter of the mystery.

Mona Kendrick

• T2
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2010, 07:16:42 PM »

Plus, it would be desirable to salvage whatever creams and lotions she had in her toiletries bag, knowing that her fair skin would be getting burned in the equatorial sun.  Not for prettiness's sake, but for physical comfort.

LTM,
Mona

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2010, 11:44:01 AM »

... Was the Norwich able to support floating in such shallow water or was she capable of moving abroad...say like in the lagoon!

No.  The Norwich City was a 5000-ton tramp steamer.  The landing channel, blasted in 1963 (TIGHAR thinks) only accommodates small boats.  There is no deep water access to the lagoon.  The Tatiman passage lets water (and fish and sharks) into the lagoon, but not steamships.

Another question I have if the Norwich did run aground in a storm...was it possible for the ship to maybe float right over the top of the Electra and not know it? Especially from the increase of rising water at the time.

The ship went aground in 1929.  It never floated again.  Especially not on 2 July 1937 or shortly thereafter.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org