Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Before we all go into analysis overdrive ...  (Read 16459 times)

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
Before we all go into analysis overdrive ...
« on: July 20, 2015, 09:29:13 AM »

... with the Hail Mary photos, a thought: Beware of apophenia.

Apophenia is "a human tendency of perceiving patterns or connections in random or meaningless information."

Here is just one example, which has nothing to do with Nikumaroro: http://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/the-body-of-wwii-airman-that-was-found-dangling-from-a-tree-but-which-turned-out-to-be-a-moss-covered-vine.html

LTM, who will gladly turn this one over to Richie and other experts,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 EC

Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

George Lam

• T2
Re: Before we all go into analysis overdrive ...
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 02:54:59 PM »

It's going to happen anyway... People WANT to see something rather than nothing.

Victor Russell

• T1
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 08:36:52 PM »

... with the Hail Mary photos, a thought: Beware of apophenia.

Apophenia is "a human tendency of perceiving patterns or connections in random or meaningless information."

I agree with you 100% on the sentiment, Monty, and appreciate the Breaking Bad avatar ...

but the specific phenomenon to be cautioned against here is pareidolia. This is the tendency to see visual patterns where none exist, like animals in the clouds or rolls of toilet paper in the coral. Paredolia is a type of apophenia, but the latter term is almost always used to convey the drawing of false connections (conspiracy theories being a common example) rather than the purely visual perception of false images or patterns. So both are relevant, in their way, but the former is the misstep most directly tripped by these undersea images.

Best,
Victor

Glenn McInnes

• T1
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 05:18:34 AM »

So I guess this photo from the last expedition is not the head of Earhart's teddy bear then?? Darn it,I thought I found something  ;D

Glenn
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 03:41:23 PM by Glenn McInnes »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 03:05:24 PM »

So I guess this photo from the last expedition is not the head Earhart's teddy bear then?? Darn it,I thought I found something  ;D
Glenn

Where did that photo come from?

Glenn McInnes

• T1
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 03:40:28 PM »

The photo came from one of the threads on the last Niku expedition but I don't remember which one.

Regards
Glenn

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 04:26:42 PM »

The photo came from one of the threads on the last Niku expedition but I don't remember which one.

Just curious. I didn't recognize it. When you say "the last Niku expedition" do you mean 2015 or 2012?

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 05:20:31 PM »

2012 I remember the pic well I think it's the 2 1/2 minute one, there is 2 videos similar one in standard one in hd

:)
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Glenn McInnes

• T1
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 06:00:53 PM »

Yes,sorry...The 2012 trip.

Glenn

George Lam

• T2
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 09:19:40 PM »

What happened to my last post?... what, you can't say Disneyland, or Mickey Mouse on this forum?  Copyright?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 05:55:51 AM »

What happened to my last post?

Sorry.  Just trying to reduce clutter and keep the postings less "Mickey Mouse."  In fairness, I'll remove Monty's posting about the song.

Bob Conner

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 06:56:30 PM »

Speaking of Photos.  Looking forward to seeing the photo's from the Hail Mary.  Any idea when they will become available for viewing?

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 09:29:29 PM »

Marty, considering the number of posts in the last 24 hours, it would seem there is either very little interest, people are holding their breath for word and pictures, or there is something wrong with the system. What's your take? Thought you might know..
Bob S.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 05:36:12 AM »

Marty, considering the number of posts in the last 24 hours, it would seem there is either very little interest, people are holding their breath for word and pictures, or there is something wrong with the system. What's your take? Thought you might know..

I'm the root administrator for the website.

So far as I know, the Forum has been running most of these 24 hours.

I have restarted the httpd daemon a few times while trying to solve a problem with AJAX, but I doubt that the service outages kept anyone from posting.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Mark Gillespie

• T1
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 09:14:49 AM »

The calm before the storm. Or the eye of the hurricane. Or the quiet after the trauma.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org