Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Status of "the stick"?  (Read 97064 times)

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
Status of "the stick"?
« on: July 08, 2015, 12:06:42 PM »

Does TIGHAR still have the stick and/or cane fragments that were found in Maine in 1987? Perhaps some of the analytical techniques now available would help pinpoint its origin.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 EC
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 08:03:06 PM by Monty Fowler »

Monty Fowler

• T5
Re: Status of "the stick"?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 06:05:22 AM »

I'm hope that this artifact will be mentioned in the Project Midnight Ghost update scheduled for September?

LTM,

« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 09:37:40 AM by Monty Fowler »

Monty Fowler

• T5
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 06:00:47 PM »

Do we have a mailing date for the September newsletter?

LTM,

Monty Fowler

• T5
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 03:54:53 PM »

Will there be a photo of this artifact in the Project Midnight Ghost update?

LTM,

Monty Fowler

• T5
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 09:46:01 AM »

I'm also hoping there will be a discussion of what may/may not be learned by applying more updated forensic techniques to the artifacts TIGHAR did discover in its numerous Maine woods expeditions. Forensic science has made astonishing advances in just the last decade.

LTM,

Monty Fowler

• T5
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 04:44:29 PM »

Suffice it to say, I was very, no, extremely disappointed by the "update" to TIGHAR's search for the White Bird that appeared in the November 2015 TIGHAR Tracks. There was nothing in there that had not previously been discussed in this forum, and saying "We are currently investigating some new possibilities" without giving any specifics is frankly insulting to the membership.

LTM,

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 01:06:46 PM »

Suffice it to say, I was very, no, extremely disappointed by the "update" to TIGHAR's search for the White Bird that appeared in the November 2015 TIGHAR Tracks.

The article in TIGHAR Tracks is an inadvertent re-print of a nearly identical article we ran in the October 2011 issue.  I came across it on my hard drive and honestly didn't remember that we had already published it, but even if I had I might have used it anyway. i certainly would have included a notation that it originally appeared in an earlier issue. 

There was nothing in there that had not previously been discussed in this forum, and saying "We are currently investigating some new possibilities" without giving any specifics is frankly insulting to the membership.

I don't write TIGHAR Tracks for the Forum.  We have many new TIGHAR members since 2011 and I want to re-acquaint them with Project Midnight Ghost.  We really are looking into some new technologies that might be useful but I don't have anything to report yet.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 01:10:47 PM »

I'm also hoping there will be a discussion of what may/may not be learned by applying more updated forensic techniques to the artifacts TIGHAR did discover in its numerous Maine woods expeditions. Forensic science has made astonishing advances in just the last decade.

Nothing we found in Maine is worth spending time or money on.  The evidence in Newfoundland is far stronger but the only artifact we recovered is not in our possession.  By law we had to leave it with the Newfoundland authorities.

Monty Fowler

• T5
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 01:27:49 PM »

What was recovered in Newfoundland?

LTM,

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 01:51:43 PM »

What was recovered in Newfoundland?

See "A Piece of the Plane in the Pond" TIGHAR Tracks Vol. 9 Number 1, January 15, 1993, page 6

Attached are better photos.  I found the artifact buried in mud just off the tip of the rocky little island in the Gull Pond about where the guy in the wetsuit is in the photo.  That's me in the plaid shirt.

The top photos were taken right after we brought the thing ashore, still wet.  There was an oily residue on the interior surface that came off on my hands.  The second picture, taken after the artifact was dry, shows the paint on the exterior surface. It was originally grayish blue in color.  The steel parts of the landing gear of l'Oiseau Blanc now on display at the Musee de l'Air are painted grayish blue.  I suspect the artifact may have been part of an oil sump.

Monty Fowler

• T5
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 06:10:04 PM »

Many thanks for posting the info. As I said earlier, would modern forensic techniques on this artifact yield any new information? To wit, oily residue composition, paint country of origin, metal composition and country of origin, etc.?

LTM,

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 08:22:08 AM »

As I said earlier, would modern forensic techniques on this artifact yield any new information?

Maybe, but we don't have the artifact and I have no idea where it is now.  By law, we had to turn it over to the Newfoundland authorities.  That was over 20 years ago. 

Monty Fowler

• T5
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 03:12:52 PM »

I realize that more than 20 years has passed, but I'm suggesting that TIGHAR initiate steps to see where the artifact is. Hopefully it still exists.

Before we devote any effort to new technology or whatever, I think it would be a good idea to make the best possible use of what we already have.

LTM,

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 05:20:59 PM »

I realize that more than 20 years has passed, but I'm suggesting that TIGHAR initiate steps to see where the artifact is. Hopefully it still exists.

Before we devote any effort to new technology or whatever, I think it would be a good idea to make the best possible use of what we already have.

Think about it for a moment.  Let's say we spent the time, effort, and money to track down the artifact, and let's say we were somehow successful in convincing the provincial authorities to release it to us for research (which they were not willing to do 20 years ago).  And let's say that after spending the time, effort, and money on forensic testing we were able to determine that there is something about the artifact that is consistent with it being from a 1927 French airplane, what would we do then?  We would look for technology that would help us search for the rest of the airplane.
And what if, after all that, something we learned about the artifact disqualified it as being from a 1927 French airplane?  What we do then?  The hypothesis that the "plane in the pond" was the White Bird does not depend on the artifact being from the aircraft. We would look for technology that would help us search the area around the pond for the airplane.

When deciding what to spend time, effort, and money on, I try to focus on research, the outcome of which, would cause us to do something different than what we already plan to do.

Jeff Scott

• T2
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2015, 09:17:31 PM »

A post elsewhere hinted that further White Bird news and a possible expedition are on the horizon. As TIGHAR's oldest project, a new expedition is a fitting way to celebrate TIGHAR's 30th anniversary. Since I haven't seen any public announcements, can we assume planning is underway? Can you share any insights?

Has new information been uncovered that refines the search area or points to a new one?

What kind of team is required to conduct the seach and what skills or expertise are needed? Has the effort to identify and select team members begun?

Is any approval or cooperation of a government agency needed? Based on those approvals, is there any anticipated timeframe when the expedition will occur, how long it will last, and how much funding needs to be raised?
It's not too late to be great.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org