Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Can you explain what these little clips might be?  (Read 157737 times)

John Ousterhout

• T4
Re: Can you explain what these little clips might be?
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2011, 06:24:24 AM »

"...transporting and storing survival stuff..."
I think that's a great observation.  Castaways that need to move around on the island need to carry their survival stuff with them.  Otherwise they've only got their hands to carry stuff.  Containers would also be important to keep the crabs from getting to the "stuff", or carrying it away.  I can imagine a weak argument that any indication of carrying containers (boxes, back packs, satchels, etc) at a site means that the castaways came from some other location.  A lack of carrying containers, but the presence of other artifacts, would indicate they landed on that spot and just used what they carried ashore.  It seems less likely that they walked there and left stuff behind that would have needed a container to bring - I think they would have wanted to stay near their "stuff", if they thought it was important, and in a survival situation, anything might be important.
Cheers,
JohnO

John Ousterhout

• T4
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2011, 06:54:02 AM »

While I'm thinking about it, the mystery clips resemble a furniture clip I've seen, but not close enough to be definitive.  I'm also being (highly) speculative here:   The clips I'm thinking of would have been used to retain a cover (usually wood) in a frame (also wood).  Think of a dressing table with a mirror in a frame.  The mirror is held in place from the back with a piece of wood the same size as the mirror.  The piece of wood protrudes from the frame in the back.  The clips engaged the edges of the piece of wood.  The screw in each clip allows the piece of wood to be snugged-down to hold the mirror tightly.  The second hole is for a brad to keep the clip from rotating. 
To install, the screw hole is drilled first and the screw run in part way, then the piece of wood is put in place to hold the mirror, then the clip is rotated into position with the teeth biting into the edge of the piece of wood, then the brad driven in, then the screw tightened down to finish the job.
To remove the piece of wood, just remove the screw (using what for a screwdriver?) and pivot the clip on the brad, which is left in place.  In an emergency, pry up one edge (bending one clip) and pull out the piece of wood to get to the mirror.

There are some things I don't like about this concept.  There are only two clips, and each is different.  For a commercial mirror frame I'd expect 4 or more clips, and all the same.  What sort of "mirror backing" would only need two clips, each a different design?  A quite small mirror? What sort of thing would need retained by screws that must have been in pretty thick wood, judging by the length of the screws?  The screws and clips aren't decorative enough to have been on the "front" of a mirror used by anyone with good taste, unless they were covered or out of sight somehow, implying the clips were on the back side, or inside, or otherwise out of sight, or simply utilitarian.

The association with a strap retainer isn't out of reach, either.  The shape would be OK for holding a strap in place and resisting rotation, hard pulling tension with the screw in shear, and modest pulling that loaded the screw outward.  Again, the combination of the teeth, screw and (assumed) brad hole make it clear to me that the clip is intended to resist rotation.  What does this describe?  'How about a strap that prevents a hinged box lid from opening too far? The clips are mounted at angles inside the box, and the teeth keep the strap aligned so it is nice and flat when the lid is open.  The box wall would need to be thick enough for the screw, implying a rather heavy box.  This also implies hinges, a latch and maybe handles.  What else might need a strap that limits motion?
That's it, I'm out of ideas, especially useful ones.
Cheers,
JohnO

John Ousterhout

• T4
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2011, 08:07:51 AM »

The bent clip was explained elsewhere as evidence of forced disassembly, which I agree with.  It's easy for me to imagine a lid that has been broken off of a box, but still has the strap connecting them.  A hard pull will pull out one clip, bending it.  Then again, I'm imaging things about a clip that has no definite purpose.  It might be for some other use.  I'd like to step back a bit and ask some rhetorical questions:
1) why use aluminum for the clips? - It's lightweight, doesn't rust, easy to fabricate, is electrically conductive, and might be the only material available that can be worked with available tools. 
'Lightweight' is appropriate for aircraft use, but the long wood screw implies thick wood attachment.  That limits the aircraft applications somewhat.  Lightweight is also appropriate for hand-carried things, like luggage or instrument cases that are used in the field.  I found a wealth of antique custom-made gun cases, on the web of course, with lots of hand-made bits and pieces, for one example.
'Non-rusting' assumes ferrous alternatives could have been chosen instead, but weren't. What ferrous clips (painted or coated with zinc) were like these? Rust stains fabric, so aluminum might be picked for use as a fabric-retainer, rather than something that rusts or corrodes (brass or copper, given long enough, will stain fabric with verdegris). 
'Easy to fabricate' argues for local fabrication (native use), or limited tools (also native), or cheap manufacturing requirements.  Aluminum would be one of the few materials a native artisan would be able to work from aircraft parts, or aluminum ship parts, or aluminum from any source.  What tools did locals have? tin snips, files, saws, drills, torches, machines, CNC?  I've seen amazing work done with a file, hacksaw and patience, but not on cast iron or heavy steel engine parts, which might only be useful as an anchor or anvil.
'Electrically conductive' is an intriguing property, bringing to mind a grounding/bonding clip.  The teeth would bite into the thing needing to be electrically bonded to.  No application comes to mind that would require bonding yet also use a wood-screw.  Did a wire somehow connect to the little hole?  Aluminum tends to corrode easily when used as a conductor.  Anyone got other suggestions for electrical uses?
'Only material available that can be worked with local tools' seems to imply native use and re-work, which has been discussed.

2) Why teeth?  For gripping something to keep it from moving, to prevent something from rotating, to engage with mating teeth, to puncture or weaken something intentionally, for "style".
3) Why a wood screw?
4) Why a little second hole?
5) Why two different designs?

Answering these questions with a variety of ideas may identify some use that is common to all, helping identify a "most likely" reason for being there.
to be continued...
Cheers,
JohnO

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2011, 08:26:23 AM »

I've been thinking about these items and am begining to think that these could be native made items used for the construction of Gallaghers House at the seven site which may then explain the presence of the wood screw?

Alternativly the remains of a non island native handicraft picked up on the flight.

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2012, 04:54:32 AM »

also this aint related to this thread but after a quick answer

do any of u guys reckon these parts could be similar, in what there used for but u have to think out the box ?

We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2012, 04:59:32 AM »

Interesting but though the items look similar the screws in the uper photo look very much different than the fittings in the lower.  Thats not to say that the uper items havn't been modified at some stage.

Is it a sextant box per chance?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2012, 05:02:29 AM »

do any of u guys reckon these parts could be similar, in what there used for but u have to think out the box ?

There is some similarity.  What are the "parts" used for?

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2012, 05:18:21 AM »

http://www.arguscg.org/manuals/e/gaon-em-repair/

they are parts of the slow shutter system on a 1930s camera

i know they are only a bit simililar but its a start

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2012, 05:21:14 AM »

i think maybe a older camera the parts maybe a bit basic or maybe they are internal parts of a sextant going to do a little research today

worth a try  :)

Member# 416

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2012, 06:23:26 AM »

i think maybe a older camera the parts maybe a bit basic or maybe they are internal parts of a sextant going to do a little research today

worth a try  :)
That's an interesting find Ritchie, a camera? Did they have one? If so what type?
The screws look different but, who knows?
I'll have look around as well
Jeff
This must be the place

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2012, 06:32:15 AM »

Earhart had a Kodak Duo Six-20 camera but the artifacts are not part of a camera unless it was owned by Fred Flintstone.  The screws are wood screws and the metal plates are crudely home-made, not manufactured.

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2012, 06:53:21 AM »

gives thought tho to what the person cud ov copied off to make them ?

Member# 416

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2012, 08:25:44 AM »

also this aint related to this thread but after a quick answer

They look to be hand made, no precision there at all Richie. They do remind me of a pair of rifle sling mounts for wooden stock and wooden forestock rifles, homemade of course, they would suffice. Both appear to be able to bite into wood, have hole for sling, one is thin for forestock, one round for rear stock. Age unkown?
Jeff
This must be the place

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2012, 09:08:51 AM »

have u seen items similar to these that were found

http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Help/Artifact5.html

have asked me dad about them, he reckons they could ov been used for secureing a metal roof to wood to stop it flappin at the edges

:)

Member# 416

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2012, 09:28:49 AM »

Is there any idea as to the size of the items being identified in the stills?   
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org