Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FAQ: Who You Are  (Read 20041 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
FAQ: Who You Are
« on: November 03, 2011, 08:51:43 AM »

The TIGHAR Amelia Earhart Search Forum is growing in size, activity and significance.  What started as a discussion group commenting on TIGHAR's work has evolved into an important research arm of the organization answering questions that help us evaluate the evidence we have and plan the next steps in our investigation.
Here are few statistics about who you are:
Yesterday (Nov. 2) 1,225 different people visited the TIGHAR website - up 18% over the day before.
As of today (Nov. 3) there are 494 registered users of the forum.  That number is growing by an average of .57 people per day.
In past months, an average of 13.7 registered users visited the forum each day.  The highest number for any one day was 40 on October 25.  Today, at 10:00 in the morning EDT we already had 24 visits - up 75% over the average.

But here's the problem.  Of the 494 registered users, only 74 (15%) are TIGHAR members.  Of the top ten posters (aside from me and Marty) only 4 are TIGHAR members.
We need to get those numbers up. We need your interest and input, but we can't do this without your financial support.  You don't have to agree with our interpretations of the evidence to be a TIGHAR member (Gary LaPook has been a TIGHAR member for years.) A skeptical and discerning membership is our strongest asset.

We'll do our best to keep providing new research materials like the Post-Loss Radio Signals Catalog and the recent Fuel System bulletin.  We're currently digitizing and cleaning up the complete FAA file on the Earhart Electra - all of the inspection reports, licenses and correspondence from the Bureau of Air Commerce.
But you need to do your part.

I'm not going to cry the blues about how tough it is to keep a nonprofit going in this economy.  You're all fighting your own battles.  But if you find value in this Forum please help us keep it going and growing.  If you're not yet a TIGHAR member, please join.  The TIGHAResearcher membership category is a great deal.  And please use the Donate buttons on the TIGHAR website to contribute what you can.  Even a small donation makes a big difference.

End of pitch. Back to work.  For more Forum statistics click here.
I'll keep you updated on how we're doing.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 08:55:27 AM by Ric Gillespie »

Ted G Campbell

• TIGHAR member
Re: FAQ: Who You Are
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 03:20:33 PM »

Ric,
Just a thought to get more members;  What would be involved if you shot a video of all the artifacts you have in your basement (with some comentary) and offer it "free" if you join up.

I would like to see all the "stuff" you've collected over the years.

Some of the stuff that you have and still can't I.D. may lead others to join the "Researcher" ranks.

Ted Campbell

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 07:42:11 PM »

Let's all chant this together now, class: "Questions are cheap. Answers are expensive."

The check is in the mail.

LTM,
Monty Fowler
TIGHAR No. 2189CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Alfred Hendrickson

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 06:03:49 AM »

It's been said before, I'll say it again now. If you spend any amount of time on this forum and you are not a TIGHAR member, you are riding the bus without paying the fare. So, be encouraged now to make a donation so the work can go forward.

david barrott

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 08:08:40 PM »

Not necessarily true, casual visitors have and will make valuable contributions, both to TIGHAR and one another.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 09:10:02 AM »

Mr. Barrott - I see your point, up to a certain level. "Crowd sourcing" can - and has in TIGHAR's case - yielded new information, clues, avenues of research, etc.

But where does the fodder, the fuel, for all of that crowd sourcing information come from? Where do the photos come from, the documents, the sonar images, the plethora of raw material? I readily grant you that some of it comes from non-TIGHAR or non-forum members, through the readily available but sometimes obscure medium knows as the World Wide Web.

At the end of the day, however, the bulk of the most relevant material comes from TIGHAR, which as an organization has gathered information based, in part on the contributions of its members. How did Ric Gillespie and Jeff Glickman just get to New Zealand to copy a potential treasure trove of 1938 photographs of Gardner Island? TIGHAR members sent them. Sure, we could have gone the crowd-funding route; I venture to say if we had, the photos would still be sitting untouched in New Zealand. TIGHAR made a decision that it was important to get the information now, so that analysis could start.

Talk is cheap. Answers, real, substantive answers, can be expensive. I firmly believe that The People Will Find Amelia. To do that takes time, money, and a lot of hard work by dedicated people all over the globe. That is one reason I am a TIGHAR member of longstanding. Care to join us? I promise you, it'll be one heck of a ride.

LTM, who is waiting patiently on the experts,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org