Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: 1st expedition only communication from the island back to the U.S. was ham radio  (Read 79295 times)

Bruce W Badgrow

• T1

Randy, the dial of your radio looks like it covers the standard AM broadcast band only. It looks a lot like a Zenith Farm Radio. This radio had a vibrator type power supply which allowed it to work off a 6 volt car battery. Zenith used to sell this radio together with a wind powered generator called a Wincharger. This combination was very popular with Midwest farmers where the wind blew steadily.

Bruce W Badgrow

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member

Hey guys...go to http://livehams.com:8181/....might be interesting to see if we can hear them...

Bob Harmon

• T1
  • TIGHAR #4294R

I hear them now at 14295.00

Bob #4294R

Bob Harmon

• T1
  • TIGHAR #4294R

14295.00 USB, He's quite busy talking to other Hams.

Bob  #4294R  WB0SVU

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member

how do you change from KHZ to MHZ?

Bob Harmon

• T1
  • TIGHAR #4294R

Move the decimal three places to the left.
14295 Khz = 14.295 Mhz

He's got a pileup from guys all over the world.

Bob #4294R  WB0SVU

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member

I thought I heard the Denver airport call out the call signs!

Bob Harmon

• T1
  • TIGHAR #4294R

He's done for the night.

Bob  #4294R  WB0SVU

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member

In regards to the website I was using and you told me about the decimel point moving three places to the left...Is it supposed to change the khz to mhz..or just leave it. Anyway, you were right...there was alot of traffic tonight! I wonder in reality what it was like in 1937?

Bob Harmon

• T1
  • TIGHAR #4294R

I entered frequencies as Khz, 14295.00 and then I stored them into memory. The waterfall display is neat for visualizing the 20m band and seeing where signals are. I was using a WebSDR (software defined radio) located in NJ even though I'm in Cedar Rapids.

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member

So when I put 14.29500 that is the right way? I just heard San Diego!

Bob Harmon

• T1
  • TIGHAR #4294R

In the frequency box, type 14295 because it is expecting Khz. Go down to the Memories sections and click Store, in the blank box type 14295 again or whatever you want the waterfall display to show. Later you can just click recall and you'll be listening to 14.295 Mhz or 14295 Khz.

Susan Powers

• T1

Bob, let me see if you can help me out. I am on the website you recommended, and I have typed in and stored the two frequencies we were given for the test, 14280 and 14310. I have stored them without using decimal points which I believe is in KHz. The site doesn't indicate a change to MHz when I add the decimal points. My main question is, do I need to be listening in MHz in order to hear the test? If so, is there something else I need to do to make the switch? My apologies if these are stupid questions. I am beyond green here, but I am fascinated by the website and thank you for sharing it with us!

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator

Bob, let me see if you can help me out. I am on the website you recommended, and I have typed in and stored the two frequencies we were given for the test, 14280 and 14310. I have stored them without using decimal points which I believe is in KHz. The site doesn't indicate a change to MHz when I add the decimal points. My main question is, do I need to be listening in MHz in order to hear the test?

http://livehams.com:8181/

The box in which you put the frequency is labeled "kHz", so you don't need the decimals.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Susan Powers

• T1

Thank you, Marty. I am still confused about the timing of the tests but assume more information about that will be forthcoming. Thanks again.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org