Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: 1st expedition only communication from the island back to the U.S. was ham radio  (Read 79762 times)

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member

Susan...what website is that?

Susan Powers

• T1

Randy, here it is... 108.35.142.166:8902 (sorry if I did not link it properly...I'm still learning). Bob gave the link in an earlier post tonight. If you scroll back, you will find it.

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member

I'm learning too so don't feel bad. I do have a question though...On the liveham website...last night I had no problem with reception...tonight it was cutting out all the time. I also noticed that regardless that I had locked the memory to 14.295...it kept starting me off int he 14.313 zone. Don't know why it did that. It didn't do that last night!

Bob Harmon

• T1
  • TIGHAR #4294R

I imagine Lee will be operating split from now on as it is more efficient. Instead of Lee and his small setup on Niku transmitting and receiving on the same frequency as several hundred other guys with VERY strong transmitters (like the first night), Lee will transmit on one frequency (that everyone will listen to) and he will listen on a different one (that's the one where you hear lots of guys calling him at the same time). It makes it easier for the world to hear him. Tonight, everybody was blasting him on 14280 which he was listening to. He picks a ham's callsign out of the blast and then he starts talking on 14290 where the world is listening for him and hopefully nobody else will stomp on his small signal.

Of course the frequencies will vary a little night by night depending on how crowded the 20 meter ham band is but he should be somewhere between 14280 and 14310 per the info given out by TIGHAR.

Randy, I noticed the cutting out also, probably a web thing.

Bob

Susan Powers

• T1

Randy, I'm afraid I am the wrong person to ask about any of this. Tonight is my first attempt at this stuff, and without Bob's posts, I would have lost. But I did have better luck on the NJ site than the livehams site. Also, I didn't hear Lee until Bob said that he was operating a split and transmitting on 14290. Up until then, I had been listening on 14280 and was only picking up what Lee was receiving. Gracious, until today I didn't even know what a "split" was. There is quite the learning curve on this forum!

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member

hehe...Okay What is a "split"? And please don't tell me its something you find at DQ!!!

Dave Ross Wilkinson

• T1

Wow! It certainly looks like SSB communications from Niku to the mainland is quite successful, at least listening late at the night.  But most of the credible post-lost signals heard in the States were heard during daylight hours (e.g. Betty, listening after school).  And of course, on AM, not SSB. 

If this portion of the project is intended to test the harmonic theory, will the group attempt AM communication to the mainland, during daylight hours (in the States)?  And, perhaps, at somewhat reduced power to mimic the harmonic generation of Earhart's transmitter and antenna?
Dave Wilkinson

Bob Harmon

• T1
  • TIGHAR #4294R

Hi Dave - 14286 is listed as an AM calling frequency so maybe that's a possibility. That would be neat.

Bob

Bob Harmon

• T1
  • TIGHAR #4294R

Well tonight Lee is doing a reverse split from last night. He is transmitting on 14280 and listening on 14290. I can just barely hear him on 14280, I can tell his voice is there but that is all.

Jim Zanella

• TIGHAR member

I am near Seattle, WA. I could hear Lee (T31LP) who was split this evening (10 KHz) but very weak. Propagation was fairly good as I heard many European stations but not much from the west. We will keep listening and hopefully the propagation will become more favorable to the Pacific Northwest.
Jim
ka7gzr

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member

Good Morning Bob...I heard him several times at 14280.13. But, I also noticed he was on 14290 too. I do know that the Denver tower is very promininet with these transmissions...very crystal clear from where I sit. I do know that last night there were alot of people on the 14280.13 frequency and several of them were asked to go to another frequency. At times one guy was actually interfering with Lee making contact and that was really bothersome for some folks. Is there anyway Bob that someone can get Lee to do a "day" field test on the AM frequency?

Bob Harmon

• T1
  • TIGHAR #4294R

Hi Randy - I'm not sure what you mean by Denver tower. Most airport towers use VHF frequencies around 120-135 Mhz and we are listening to Lee down at the HF frequency of 14.28 Mhz. As far as I know, planes use HF frequencies mainly when they are over oceans and even then they probably use satellite communication as their first choice. What are you hearing regarding Denver tower? Are you using one of the WebSDR sites or do you have your own receiver setup?

I'm not sure what Lee's priority is. I know he's having an incredibly fun time running T31LP from Niku. Lee's station is a very desirable contact for most hams around the world because it is such a challenge to work those distances as well as cutting through the ensuing pileup. So he's having a ball just being a ham on an island in the Pacific.

But then there is Amelia...

Is he going to attempt to reproduce some of the conditions that existed back in 1937? Will he transmit on AM rather than upper sideband? Will he transmit on other bands beside 20 meters to simulate harmonic reception? Will he transmit during daylight or nighttime? Credible signals were heard both times.

Nothing about radio in the June 16 daily.
We'll have to just wait and see.

Bob
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 04:32:09 PM by Bob Harmon »

Col McGowan

• T1
  • MM0NDX

Is there a way to email Lee on TIGHAR?

I have many requests from radio ops regarding his QSL status, and will he use a QSL manager etc. Do we know if he is keeping a log?

Thanks

Col MM0NDX
DX-World.net

Jim M Sivright

• TIGHAR member

All this is way cool! I don't understand half of it, but it is so interesting.
The Col asked if there was a way to email Lee, and it got me to thinking. What other forms of communication is available to and from the island? Is Ric only using verbal phone to Pat? Is she recording, I can just see her furiously taking notes while Ric talks. Seems to me some kind of text, email, or typed form would be easier for Ric and others to make reports.
Did this cross anyone else's mind, or has it been discussed before?

Jim S.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."

Satellite phone, Jim. Scroll down to the first couple of days of expedition reports, where they discuss just that.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org