Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photo from Darwin  (Read 5687 times)

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
Photo from Darwin
« on: June 12, 2015, 12:49:20 PM »

I found this photo ( that I don't recall seeing elsewhere) in the Sydney Mail newspaper July 7 1937.  Just wondering, but to me it looks like AE is wearing some kind of sunblock on her nose along with the hat.  It could be flaw in the photo but it could also reinforce the old notion about her being worried about her skin and freckles.

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
Re: Photo from Darwin
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 01:16:24 PM »

another photo from sydney morning herald on July 3, 1937

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 01:50:06 PM »

From the Argus newspaper ( Melbourne) on July 10, 1937, the only  report I have seen of an Australalian Ham operator hearing post loss signals from EA and FN.
". Last Monday night
at 10 o'clock a Melbourne amateur did
pick up strange calls He listened atten-
tively, but did not percehe until the caller
"signed off" that it was Mrs Putnam
He was able to report the calls to the
Civil Aviation authorities"

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 02:11:06 PM »

Another pic from an Aussie Newspaper of of the electra in the hangar at Lae, the clearer original might show the area around the patch

Krystal McGinty-Carter

• TIGHAR member
  • Kilo Mike
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 04:49:25 PM »

I don't ever recall seeing that first photo before. I think its actually the hat not totally shading her face, her eyes are shaded but her nose is still out in the sun.  Thanks for sharing!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org