Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Observations  (Read 50022 times)

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: Observations
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2015, 08:25:57 AM »

I notice in the briefing that most emphasis is placed on the area north of the inlet. Have you lost interest in the "anomaly" or is that in another chapter?

The briefing was for the team that is going ashore.

The other team members have been preparing for their ROV work behind the scenes.

Also wish there was a part of the team that was more interested in serious machinery, like at least a brush cutter with a saw blade for cutting underbrush (Stihl has them)

TIGHAR developed its own pneumatic loppers for clearing scaevola--I believe the design came from Jim Thompson, our GIS expert.  The team also takes chain saws.  They have learned what works.  They know how to clear ground when they have to.  But they can't clear the the ground at random.  Step one: find targets.  Step two: clear what needs clearing.

... maybe not an ice chest, but wouldn't it be an advantage to have more goodies stached there rather than having to wait to get back to the ship for refreshment? Or what if a storm comes up and you're unable to get back to the ship before you're back pack runs out?

I'm pretty sure Ric and the veterans have got contingencies covered.  People have stayed overnight on short notice--and with great zeal and delight.

Nobody is more anxious about covering all the bases than Ric is: food, water, tools, first-aid kits, plans for this kind of emergency or that kind of emergency, etc. 

Shipping, packing, transporting, offloading, preserving gear is a series of tradeoffs.  Decisions have to be made about what can and cannot be provided.  Those decisions were made weeks, if not months ago.  If the gear is not already in transit, it will be very shortly.  FedEx has been WONDERFUL over the years providing free shipping.  I think they are still one of the corporate sponsors for TIGHAR, all year long, every year.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2015, 04:44:39 PM »

Has it been a practice to do a "Lessons Learned" assessment on the prior expeditions?

I hope you're joking.  We try hard to make NEW mistakes.  We're very successful.

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2015, 04:42:08 PM »

Fanny Mae's or whatever other failure mode analyses have come up since I was in the biz are never very popular; first you have to admit there is a possibility of failure, then figure what better could be done to avoid it, when you already did that during the initial planning (supposedly), but they can be very useful if performed properly. I think TIGHAR has informally done this whether they realize it or not.
Bob S.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org