Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Observations  (Read 50017 times)

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: Observations
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2015, 05:44:24 PM »

One other short note about Google Earth if you're thinking of downloading it make sure you have the real, "one and only" Google Earth ...

I think this is the real deal.  The domain name is correct:

https://www.google.com/earth/
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2015, 06:09:20 PM »

Oh, joy, another download ...

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Monty Fowler

• T5
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2015, 06:22:41 PM »

I see there's a new picture in Google Earth of Gardner Island. Better hurry back.. looks like somebody's fishing in our spot!!

Bob - I see the wreck of the Norwich City, which is not especially remarkable. What do you see that qualifies as "fishing in our spot?"

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2015, 08:08:42 PM »

Nothing especially spectacular, Monty.
Bob S.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 07:46:28 PM by Bob Smith »

George Lam

• T2
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2015, 06:29:39 PM »

Nothing especially spectacular, Monty, but I got you to look at it didn't I ??

"Made you look" would have been a little more fitting for today, don't you think?

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2015, 07:02:50 PM »

Yes, Greg of course you're right but I was debating whether to write anything today since I'm superstitious! But that is a good picture, don't you think? How did Google Earth get that picture of this tiny island out in the middle of nowhere? I bet they don't have any street level views!
Bob S.

Tim Gard

• T3
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2015, 03:03:59 AM »

I think this is the real deal.  The domain name is correct:

https://www.google.com/earth/

Many thanks for the info Marty.

/ Member #4122 /
/Hold the Heading/

Monty Fowler

• T5
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2015, 11:09:50 AM »

Having downloaded and played with Google Earth for a bit, I wonder how genuinely useful it is, despite the fact that you can get up close to the landscape and "fly" over it, so to speak. My gut tells me that a LOT of computer gimmickry is going to to enable Google Earth to do that, with all the consequent image distortions, biases, and all manner of other digital deviltry. It's a carnival funhouse kind of thing, but I feel it has limited genuine research value, at best.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR no. 2189 ECSP

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2015, 11:47:07 AM »

The most useful thing I find to use Google Earth for is the street view available in cities where the car mounted camera (gumball machine) has been through. and the comparison you can do between the present view and a previous view they uploaded earlier to see the changes. (How the grass looks in front of your house year to year; how many new buildings have been built,, etc.) It is of little use if you want up to date views, since the picture may be a month or a year old. But not bad for free!
Bob S.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2015, 12:10:40 PM »

Having downloaded and played with Google Earth for a bit, I wonder how genuinely useful it is, despite the fact that you can get up close to the landscape and "fly" over it, so to speak.

There is a thread dedicated to Google Earth on this Forum:

"Google Earth Coordinates / .kmz files for the Earhart Project"

I've very much enjoyed looking around Niku, measuring various distances, playing with overlays, etc.

I'm happy to give it space on my computer, FWIW.   :)
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2015, 02:23:34 PM »

I have just read some of the threads and files of the above, Marty: Google Earth Coordinates/.kmz files .... and think it is excellent. Shows what what can and was done using Google  Earth!
Bob S.

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2015, 08:13:49 PM »

Here's hoping all of you have an incredible day tomorrow, and the week ahead brings more funds!
Bob S.

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2015, 05:05:21 PM »

Would it be possible to, or usseful to partner with Google to use one of their street view cameras on the island? They have back packs or whatever they or we could conjure up to use it most anywhere.   http://www.google.com/maps/about/images/behind-the-scenes/about/solution-carousel3_2x.jpg
Bob S.

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2015, 05:37:42 PM »

Huh, you never know unless we ask....

amck

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2015, 07:24:11 AM »

I notice in the briefing that most emphasis is placed on the area north of the inlet. Have you lost interest in the "anomaly" or is that in another chapter?
Also wish there was a part of the team that was more interested in serious machinery, like at least a brush cutter with a saw blade for cutting underbrush (Stihl has them) and mesh reinforced gloves (great crab-grabbers) for heavy duty clearing to get to items you can see only when you get there... OK maybe not an ice chest, but wouldn't it be an advantage to have more goodies stached there rather than having to wait to get back to the ship for refreshment? Or what if a storm comes up and you're unable to get back to the ship before you're back pack runs out?
Meanwhile we'll be waiting for pictures of the guys in action with the tweezers and spoons or whatever as you uncover all the new artifacts in an archaeologically correct manner!
Bob S.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org