Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Your Name Up in Lights  (Read 20049 times)

Joy Diane Forster

• TIGHAR member
Your Name Up in Lights
« on: February 20, 2015, 06:56:12 AM »

I just thought there should be something on the Forum about TIGHAR's "Your Name Up in Lights" donation campaign.  I didn't know about it or the "Preponderance of Evidence" Facebook series (I don't do Facebook) until I got the Niku News VIII email.  Some non-TIGHAR members who are Forum readers (as I was for a long time) may not be aware of it either.  Here's the quote from the email:

"For a contribution of $49 or more your name will be listed in the credits in the film, and you'll receive a pre-release DVD of the film when it is finished."

More details are available at the TIGHAR store, where you can make your contribution.   I've made mine!
TIGHAR Member #4239

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Your Name Up in Lights
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 07:56:50 AM »

Thanks Joy!  Yes, we just launched this campaign this morning.  Here's the whole story.

PREPONDERANCE OF EVIDENCE
On January 29 we began a series on the TIGHAR Facebook page called Preponderance of Evidence. In short, illustrated daily segments we're reviewing, point by point, the evidence we've amassed in twenty-seven years of testing the hypothesis that the Earhart/Noonan flight ended on Nikumaroro. Each segment is linked to in-depth research papers and bulletins on the TIGHAR website. This serialized executive summary of The Earhart Project is proving immensely popular, reaching upwards of 4,000 people per day. Don't miss it! Click HERE to read and share.

YOUR NAME UP IN LIGHTS
To help fund past expeditions we've sometimes sold exclusive media rights to networks who wanted to make documentaries. It's a trade-off. We get some funding but we give up editorial control and ownership of potentially historic footage. This time, the potential for historic footage is so high that we've decided to forego any media deals and make our own documentary of the Niku VIII expedition.   
The footage will be shot by TIGHAR's own award-winning cinematographer Mark Smith of Oh Seven Films. Mark is a veteran of four TIGHAR expeditions to Nikumaroro (2001, 2007, 2010, and 2012) shooting video for the Discovery Channel and others. This time his video arsenal will include drones with high-definition cameras. It's going to be one spectacular film.
   We're counting on you, the members of TIGHAR, and on "crowd-sourcing" via the TIGHAR Facebook page, to make this expedition and this documentary possible.
   For a contribution of $49 or more your name will be listed in the credits in the film, and you'll receive a pre-release DVD of the film when it is finished. Giving you credit like this has never been possible in network documentaries. This is our chance to give you the recognition you deserve. Please make your donation now at the TIGHAR Store.

SPACE AVAILABLE
We have one berth available aboard Nai'a on the NIKU VIII expedition for a $50,000 Sponsor Team Member. Click HERE for a description of the expedition. If you're interested please email Ric Gillespie (ric@tighar.org) , or phone 610-467-1937.
   Also, the Betchart Expeditions "In Search of Amelia Earhart" tourist cruise to Nikumaroro aboard Fiji Princess has two openings: one for a male shared cabin, and one for a female shared cabin. You can also wait-list for a two person cabin. Fiji Princess will be at Nikumaroro for a few days during the Niku VIII expedition and passengers will assist in TIGHAR search operations. For more information click HERE.

Jennifer Lynn Wilson

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 09:28:05 AM »

I'm proud to have donated this morning. Thank you Tighar, for all you do, and how well you do it.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 04:34:29 PM »

Now that I am back "on the continent," as it were, I will be sending a check off to this very interesting initiative as soon as I plow through my 573 work e-mails.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Monty Fowler

• T5
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 07:26:27 AM »

I know it has been discussed elsewhere, but what is the status of the Niky VIII/Earhart Search video?

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 03:20:45 PM »

I know it has been discussed elsewhere, but what is the status of the Niky VIII/Earhart Search video?

Indefinite hold. 

Monty Fowler

• T5
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 08:49:34 AM »

I see. I would hope that it's reasonable to believe we could expect something by June or so, the one year anniversary of Niku VIII, since a number of TIGHARs, and others, stepped up to the donation plate to help make this happen.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 EC

Monty Fowler

• T5
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 05:42:35 AM »

It was one year ago today that Niku VIII started.

When can we expect the self-funded video that was to result from the Your Name Up In Lights campaign?

LTM,

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 09:09:36 AM »

When can we expect the self-funded video that was to result from the Your Name Up In Lights campaign?

I've already answered that.

Monty Fowler

• T5
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2016, 04:07:26 PM »

Yes, you did answer it, but with all due respect, at this point, Ric, I can't accept that and remain quiet.

TIGHAR has solicited money for a specific project, and continues to do so, with a stated product as the end result. The funding campaign started some 14 months ago and the expedition was a year ago this week. I am not a videographer, but it seems that a year is a reasonable amount of time to produce a video of the expedition. The people who donated money to help fund the video, of which I am one, deserve some kind of a time line on when they can expect this.

LTM,

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2016, 08:32:25 PM »

Time is not the issue. Money is. We haven't raised enough money to produce the video. We're still about $40,000 short. When we've raised enough we'll produce it. If you can tell me how long that will take I'll give you a timeline.

Monty Fowler

• T5
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2016, 01:40:00 PM »

It's unfortunate there wasn't enough initial support to enable TIGHAR to hit the ground running when it returned from Niku VIII. I supported the in-house effort as much as I could, and I am sure other TIGHARs did the same.

Sometimes, though, you have to re-think a project and adjust the scope to enable you to proceed with the resources already on hand. It seems kind of unlikely that 800+ people will step forward with the minimum $49 donation to close the budget gap, in the immediate future (or 400 at $100 each, or whatever). Niku VIII is now old news, from the general public's point of view, so the clock is ticking on general interest for that and whatever else was going to be included in this video.

Something to think about.

LTM,

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2016, 04:10:52 PM »

Niku VIII is now old news, from the general public's point of view, so the clock is ticking on general interest for that and whatever else was going to be included in this video.

We're very much aware of that. The wasn't much news from Niku VIII when it was new news.  The plan is to produce a video that is much broader in scope than just a report on Niku VIII.  If Niku IX comes together (and it's looking like it might) we'll give everyone who contributed to the Niku VIII video credit for contributing to the new video.

Monty Fowler

• T5
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2016, 04:50:59 AM »

I'm confused - are we talking about two videos now, or just one that will come out after Niku IX?

LTM,

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2016, 07:13:32 AM »

I'm confused - are we talking about two videos now, or just one that will come out after Niku IX?

Just one.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org