Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who the heck is Parker Aerospace?  (Read 27208 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Who the heck is Parker Aerospace?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2015, 10:07:03 AM »

I wouldn't want to land an Electra on that reef.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2015, 10:17:36 AM »

I wouldn't want to land an Electra on that reef.

Ah, but the roughness of the reef explains why so many inspection plates fell off the aircraft before it was hauled away!   :)
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2015, 10:24:52 AM »

Ah, but the roughness of the reef explains why so many inspection plates fell off the aircraft before it was hauled away!   :)

Yeah. It must have been, like, raining inspection plates.  Quite a sight.

Krystal McGinty-Carter

• TIGHAR member
  • Kilo Mike
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2015, 12:49:31 PM »

Would make for a nasty case of whiplash, too.  Better get that pilot to the underground hospital!

Craig Romig

• T3
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2015, 05:08:13 PM »

Suppose Amelia's plane made it to Mili Atoll. And the Japanese [pejorative term replaced] hauled it away. That leaves poor Parker Aerospace with no real items to find. They hauled it away.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 07:52:38 AM by Ric Gillespie »

Rob Seasock

• T2
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2015, 12:59:11 AM »

The Parker sponsored expedition, they make all kinds of fittings for hydraulic, compressed air systems, etc. They supplied parts on the Earhart aircraft.
http://earhartonsaipan.blogspot.com/

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2015, 07:44:55 AM »

Suppose Amelia's plane made it to Mili Atoll. And the japs hauled it away. That leaves poor Parker Aerospace with no real items to find. They hauled it away.

That may be a bit too unqualified a statement, Craig -

Other than - IMO - the unlikelihood of any such thing as an Earhart landing at Mili Atoll, is the search there in want anymore than the rest of us happen to find ourselves in want for?

If one has confidence in a Niku arrival, for instance, then one is faced with what TIGHAR has been doing for many years: pondering those tiny things that can be found to see if provenance to Earhart can be established so as to prove her arrival there.  And of course the granddaddy effort - sea search in the area, the now-planned anomaly peek, etc.

Hypothetically, if Earhart made it to Mili Atoll and there was any significant incident with the airplane beyond a normal landing - and a subsequent hauling away by the Japanese, then there should be some chance of surviving doo-dads from it or her possessions about somewhere in the area.  First challenge is to find stuff that may be a match; next challenge is to determine a match or not. 

In determining a match of airplane stuff, of course it must go beyond 'consistent with a Lockheed Electra' and all the way to 'convincingly of Earhart's craft' - a very tall order for any of us.

But as a practical matter, I fear the sum of your statement is probably true: there is not likely any Earhart related stuff lying about at Mili Atoll.  If they search thoroughly and demonstrate that, then the world will know of one more place not to look, won't it?  Something to that I suppose.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 09:18:33 AM by Jeffrey Neville »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2015, 07:57:01 AM »

Hypothetically, if Earhart made it to Mili Atoll and there was any significant incident with the airplane beyond a normal landing - and a subsequent hauling away by the Japanese (I'll avoid the term that is obnoxious to some... ;)),

I've replaced the offensive term in Craig's post.
As a reminder, TIGHAR is an international organization.  We don't use wartime ethnic slurs unless quoting from a primary source and we don't make reference to "the enemy."

Craig Romig

• T3
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2015, 04:11:29 PM »

First I'd like to apologize for that word. I was attempting an abreviation. I am sorry and wont do that again.

Jeff your right. It's not qualified. I had just considered if the plane ended up there and was hauled away. Then evidence would be even harder to find. But we all know  the plane didn't end up there.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 01:47:21 AM by Craig Romig »

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2015, 06:39:41 AM »

Jeff your right. Its not qualified. I had just considered if the plane ended up there and was hauled away. Then evidence would be even harder to find. But we all know  the plane didnt end up there.

It's a good point, and... I also agree that it was almost certainly never there anyway.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org