Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The "fourth cousin" speaks  (Read 9639 times)

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
The "fourth cousin" speaks
« on: February 23, 2014, 03:47:26 PM »

Sometimes it's interesting what you can find on the internet. Sometimes it isn't. This left me shaking my head.
I read this blog entry with some interest; http://earharttruth.wordpress.com/ (edited for length):

Wally Earhart, AE’s “fourth cousin,” speaks out  (Feb. 20, 2014)

"David Martin, the erudite investigative journalist, poet and observer of the passing scene, whose groundbreaking work on James V. Forrestal’s alleged suicide has been assidiously ignored by our ever-more corrupt mainstream media, and whose review of Truth at Last in August 2012, “Hillary Clinton and the Amelia Earhart Cover-up,” remains by far the best done on the book, yesterday inadvertently informed me about an interesting but hertofore unknown thread in the Amelia-on-Saipan saga. In his piece, Henley writes about local celebrity Wally Earhart, who portrays Abraham Lincoln in Carson City historical events, and who claims to be Amelia’s fourth cousin, and Wally’s beliefs about what really happened to her:

"Wally Earhart of Carson City, the fourth cousin of Amelia Earhart, says the U.S. government continues to perpetrate a “massive coverup” about her mysterious disappearance in the Pacific 72 years ago.

"Because of the current surge in interest about the pilot’s fate spurred by the recent release of the film “Amelia,” starring Richard Gere and Hilary Swank, it is time the American public “know the truth about Amelia’s last days,” said Earhart, who will portray Abraham Lincoln as grand marshal of the Nevada Day parade today.

"Amelia and her navigator, Fred Noonan, did not die as claimed by the government and the Navy when their twin-engine Electra plunged into the Pacific on July 2, 1937, Wally Earhart said in an interview.

" “They died while in Japanese captivity on the island of Saipan in the Northern Marianas,” claims Earhart, a 38-year Carson City resident who often portrays Lincoln and other historical figures at appearances sponsored by groups such as the Nevada Historical Society.

" “The Navy and the federal government would have you believe that Amelia and Noonan died on impact when their plane ran out of gas while attempting to reach Howland Island during their flight around the world,” Earhart said.

"“Their airplane did crash into the Pacific, but instead of dying, the pair was rescued by a nearby Japanese fishing trawler. The Electra airplane was still floating and the Japanese hauled it aboard their ship in a large net.

"An Earhart researcher who usually prefers anonymity told me that he was familiar with Wally’s 2009 account to Henley, had looked into it and found that Wally had no special knowledge or insight, but had acquired his opinion, mostly spot on, by reading books such as Fred Goerner’s The Search for Amelia Earhart and Thomas E. Devine’s Eyewitness: The Amelia Earhart Incident, which offer clear glimpses of the truth to anyone interested."

Okayyyyyyy ... we have an alleged fourth cousin who apparently read a few books and now knows what happened to Amelia and Fred. Hooray. What really struck me was the statement about the fishing trawler hauling in the Electra. A 10-E would weigh in the neighborhood of 3 TONS empty. That's quite a load for  a fishing trawler of that day to haul in, let alone aboard the ship. A fishing factory ship, sure, but those did not come about for another 50 years.

It will be interesting to see what happens to all the competing Earhart theories when TIGHAR scores this summer.

LTM, who thinks 2014 will be the year,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
Re: The "fourth cousin" speaks
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 02:01:17 PM »

For some reason it took me a very long time to get into this very insightful review of "the fourth cousin" -

Then I wondered why the dirth of comments... and it occurred to me, what else is there to say?  ???
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org