Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Above ground artifact search?  (Read 90993 times)

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
Re: Above ground artifact search?
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2014, 06:27:02 PM »

Beautiful pictures, Jeffrey P.

Creatures certainly do import what they can find, for sure.  We see that sort of thing around here with various birds, and I've had the very mischief with rats and mice doing it in storage areas over the years.  Nothing is sacred - all material becomes fair game to them - and they'll drag it off anywhere.

As to objects getting caught up in the growth of trees -

We had a local instance of a long lost ring being recovered from a tree that was cut down for a fence row in my home county: a tornado in 1929 destroyed several homes in the west end of our county and a number of people were killed.  One of those was a young lady who was tossed some big distance from her dwelling.  When they found the poor dead girl, her ring was gone from her finger.  Several years ago that same ring was removed from the growth of a hedge-row tree - it had become wedged into the tree somehow and growth overtook it; several decades left it completely concealed until the cutting happened - just fortune that the crew cut as they did.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Jeffrey Pearce

• T3
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2014, 01:03:01 PM »

Your information about the ring is outstanding. Those that found it could very well have been at a loss to explain it? Is there information about this? I don't suppose that photographs were taken? Is it known where in the tree the ring was consummed?

Jeff P.

JNev

• T5
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2014, 07:17:49 AM »

Thanks, Jeffrey P.

I'll see what I can find in the archives - local library probably has the old article.

I don't recall a picture and am vague as to the details - but got impression that the ring was 'embedded' from being hurled in some fashion (tornado forces are HIGH).  It may be more that it came to rest in the crotch of a branch and ingrew over time.

But it is real - a tragic story, with a bittersweet 'closure' for the family in recovering that ring so many years later.

Here is an abstract that I found on the event, which speaks to the human loss in several counties.  I called it a Bulloch County event, but actually neighboring Candler County is the apparent source of the storm.  There were deaths there and in Bulloch, and at least one other.

Nothing specific in this piece about the ring story - and that was to do with one of the Bulloch County families.  Perhaps you can sniff out a lead from here.  I will try when more able - it is a fascinating story.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 07:27:27 AM by Jeffrey Neville »

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2014, 08:47:06 AM »

"in my home county" 
Jeff,
I am very familiar with Metter, Cobbtown, Vidalia, Lyons, Portal, Claxton, etc.  I used to have very good customers in Metter. 
Do you know the Petersons....Charles to be exact?  He owned a sewing factory there...Metter Manufacturing.  Gone, as they all are, now. 
Also a Bill Fonderin was plant manager for the Argo factory across the street for a while.  Metter is his home town. 
Georgia and South Carolina were awesome states for apparel textile companies. 
TIGHAR Member #4154

JNev

• T5
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2014, 05:28:41 PM »

Small world, Dan - how about that.

I knew of Peterson, believe he and my brother were friends years ago.  I can't place Fonderin personally but would bet my brother knew him (lived there many years himself).

I've flown out of there many times over the years and the family still keeps a Cardinal RG at the local airport in Metter.  My dad lives a few miles away just into Bulloch County.  His home property still bears evidence of the tornado I've spoken of (and the lost ring was recovered within a very few miles of his place): some older trees still have branches that were damaged but recovered and grew back at odd angles and with pronounced elbows, etc. 

Strange stuff to see and realize you are gazing at weather history from 1929 (dad was 6 years old when that happened).  His place was an abandoned farm - scrub oak and wiregrass country which was poor for cultivation and grazing, so had been ignored for decades.  When he first got the place and started cleaning it up there was still a great deal of old tortured metal roofing caught and wrapped around tree trunks here and there where it had become stuck and somewhat ingrown in many cases.  It was clear that the tornado was quite an event.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Jeffrey Pearce

• T3
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2015, 08:39:11 PM »

I took this photograph at a very popular and very crowded restaurant that is IMMEDIATELY adjacent to the Gulf of Mexico on the west coast of central Florida. I took it because I noticed what looked like a plastic cup in the light fixture attached to the top of a pole extending about 25 feet above the restaurant.There is at least one glass pane knocked out of the fixture. This restaurant has undergone renovation recently. If someone put the cup there, presumably one of the renovating workers, why would he do so and why would he leave the cup there knowing that the restaurant is paying his employer's company to work on the restaurant?

There are MANY birds constantly hanging around the restaurant looking for handouts. I think one of these birds is the  responsible party. I have additional photographs of this situation but for some reason was unable to download them.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 10:02:29 PM by Jeffrey Pearce »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org