Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Items of interest found on Niku!!!!  (Read 27768 times)

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
Items of interest found on Niku!!!!
« on: June 21, 2010, 09:05:25 PM »

First of all, I'd like to thank those of you who provided excellent photos of this trip. Makes a Kansas boy wanna pack up his stuff and go camping!!! Anyway, several days after several of the team members found items of jars and knives. I really got excited. What amazed me the most was the items of a glass material; especially the cosmetic jars as Ric put it. Anyway. I was really interested  in learning more about these jars and the unique design as quoted by someone who found them!!! Anyway, as I was searching the net, I found out that these 3 inch high jars are indeed called "Vanity" jars and were used for ladies cosmetics....either powder or cream. Now I'm no expert at this...but I did see somewhere that George Putnam had some business ties in with the Avon Corporation. Thus, if this is the case...then the findings may lead up with the truth of knowing that maybe by chance that these did belong to Amelia...and were of importance or a gift by chance!!!! The vanity jars are really neat!!!! If you go on ebay you will see what I mean. Another thing that I came across of interest while I was checking out the jars was the fact that Amelia wore a unique ring!!! It wasn't much of value but did have a significant personal value. It was a ring that she wore on her wedding day...No diamonds...just a plain ring/ One of the things that I'm finding unique in all this is the seventh site!!!! What I would like someone to answer for me is the site were the Norwich City is resting!!! Was the Norwich able to support floating in such shallow water or was she capable of moving abroad...say like in the lagoon!!! Another question I have if the Norwich did run aground in a storm...was it possible for the ship to maybe float right over the top of the Electra and not know it? Especially from the increase of rising water at the time@@@ Just a few questions!!! thanks!!!!

Ashley Such

• T3
Re: Items of interest found on Niku!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 11:27:48 PM »

Thanks for the information. I'll have to look up these jars. :) Ring? In Susan Butler's biography, it mentions that Amelia never did wear her wedding ring... Cause in most photos you see of AE, she hardly wears a ring on her left wedding-ring finger. ??? Interesting about the jars, though. :)

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 04:26:15 PM »

Ashley,

Hi! I never knew the facts on her ring, except it wasn't that elaborate. Shortly, after Ric Gillepsie and the team blogged their findings, I myself went searching on things of interest. I did run across the story of her committment to George on marriage and what she said. It almost seemed like something out of a love novel or the likes@ Anyway, however I did run across a unique finding when they mentioned remnants of a glass jar or as they called them cosmetic jars and they had unique designs on them. At one point of that particular evening I went searching on Putnam's history, and found something really interesting...but need additional information to back up these findings. Anyway, I visited a website and it talked about George's partnership in the Avon Corporation. Now everyone knows what the Avon corporation is all about? Right!!! Anyway, I went on Ebay and did a search on cosmetic jars, and found a treasure trove of jars to choose from. When I did this it came to my understanding that they are called "vanity" jars..>Because they served a purpose for many reasons. Ladies of that time frame used them for cream or powder, or whatever they may have had. Anyway, I did stumble across this particular jar, which was a unique finding, because on the jar lid was a paper writing, which was almost a world debut for that particular item. One of the names of the city was London...Now if I remember right, and anyone please back me up on this...but wasn't London one of her stops on her world journey. My second thought on this is..that would be awesome if she was given such an item...But, I never imagined Amelia,,,Kansas girl..to have time in flight to pamper her nose and put cream on her face. I just didn't see that happening at the time. So my hunch is...if this is what the jars are..then its possible she received this as a gift for her journey or good luck per say. Its possible if George did have ties with Avon, then this is where the jars and the rouge would come into play!!! Anyway, something to look into!!!

Ashley Such

• T3
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 05:59:50 PM »

Actually, London wasn't one of her stops on her world trip. The list is as shows;

~Miami
~San Juan
~Caripito
~Paramaribo
~Fortaleza
~Natal
~St. Louis
~Dakar
~Gao
~Ft. Lamy
~El Fasher
~Khartoum
~Massawa
~Assab
~Karachi
~Calcutta
~Akyab
~Rangoon
~Bangkok
~Singapore
~Bandoeng
~Soerabaia
~Koepang
~Port Darwin
~Lae

Very interesting about Avon, though. :) Didn't know Putnam was a part of that!

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 06:18:23 PM »

Thanks for the reply!!!! I've been trying for several days now to come up myself with further information on what I saw several days ago on this partnership!!!! It was quite interesting. Anyway, maybe this is something that Ric can answer or someone from Tighar!!! Who knows!!!!

Ashley Such

• T3
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 03:10:37 PM »

Randy,

You're welcome! :) Yep, I'm sure Ric or someone else will have more of a thorough answer.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 07:36:12 AM »

Anyway, I visited a website and it talked about George's partnership in the Avon Corporation.

Randy, I was not aware that GP was involved with Avon.  Can you provide a url for the website you mention?

Anyway, I did stumble across this particular jar, which was a unique finding, because on the jar lid was a paper writing, which was almost a world debut for that particular item.

Can you provide a link.  We'd really like to be able to identify this jar.

Thanks,
Ric

Michael Robert Forbes

• T1
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 06:47:24 AM »

I would not be surprised if Avon Cosmetics had archives illustrating every "bottle design" that ever hit the streets, as well as those that were custom designed as gifts or for special occasions.  Much like special edition "Hummels". I might spend a little time checking this out.

Mike Forbes

Ricker H Jones

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 06:58:33 AM »

Here is a source that may be of some help:

"Bud Hastin's Avon Collector's Encyclopedia: Avon and California Perfume Company Products-1886 to Present"

The California Perfume Company was the forerunner of Avon. You might look at items like "cream sachet" which came in jars similar in shape to the NIKU VI artifact.

Rick J

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 09:25:42 AM »

Perfume jars, rouge jars, compact mirrors. Are you heading in the right direction? We are talking about 2 people that crash landed on a very remote island in the Pacific Ocean. I'm just thinking about the "what if scenario" of what might be important to remove from an aircraft for survival. A compact mirror--certainly. Perfume, and rouge---I doubt it. Is there another explanation for those items being there? maybe. We are still talking about an event 73 years ago, so I guess that having perfume and rouge on an around the world flight would be important. I hope you are not getting off-track with this.
Tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 09:51:06 AM »

A compact mirror--certainly. Perfume, and rouge---I doubt it.

I don't have any trouble with such items being among AE's personal effects for the world flight.  She was a celebrity who was very conscious of her image.  In the context of being marooned on a desert island, the containers the personal care items came in would be far more valuable than their contents.  Collecting and purifying water for drinking required bottles - small ones for collecting water from puddles and larger ones for boiling and storing.  The jar we found would work well as a drinking cup.

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 11:21:37 AM »

I hope that you find her DNA on these bottles. And, I'm not trying to be negative. You have been there, I haven't. I'm just making an observation from the limited knowledge that I have acquired. It all makes sense to me, but as a trained observer/troubleshooter, I look for alternatives.
As far as I know, there were few visitors to Niku before the flight. The Norwich City crew, several islanders, maybe a passing ship. The Coast Guard wasnt there until much later. This makes explaining the bottles simple, but difficult. IF, Amelia didn't bring them onto the island, then finding who did is more difficult. Yes, the DNA would be conclusive, either way. You have the evidence, so I suppose that we need to wait on the results. Sorry, some of us are impatient!!!!! But science doesnt work that way. Ric, you guys are doing an excellent job of searching for Amelia. You have the answers that we've been waiting for.   
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 11:25:15 AM »

Thanks Tom.  I assure you that I share your impatience.

Ashley Such

• T3
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 12:39:37 PM »

I hope that you find her DNA on these bottles. And, I'm not trying to be negative. You have been there, I haven't. I'm just making an observation from the limited knowledge that I have acquired. It all makes sense to me, but as a trained observer/troubleshooter, I look for alternatives.
As far as I know, there were few visitors to Niku before the flight. The Norwich City crew, several islanders, maybe a passing ship. The Coast Guard wasnt there until much later. This makes explaining the bottles simple, but difficult. IF, Amelia didn't bring them onto the island, then finding who did is more difficult. Yes, the DNA would be conclusive, either way. You have the evidence, so I suppose that we need to wait on the results. Sorry, some of us are impatient!!!!! But science doesnt work that way. Ric, you guys are doing an excellent job of searching for Amelia. You have the answers that we've been waiting for.   

I hope the DNA is Earhart's; that'd be big news. ;D I'll repeat of what Tom said: You all did a fabulous jobs on these expeditions, and the evidence seems very solid! Kudos to you, TIGHAR. Ric, do you know when ya'll are going to get the DNA results?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2010, 01:02:31 PM »

Thanks for your kind words. We should know sometime later this summer.  It's a labor-intensive (and expensive) process.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org