Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Dust cover and cover plate (Richard Spink, Mili Atoll)  (Read 260514 times)

Leslie G Kinney

• T1
Re: Dust cover and cover plate (Richard Spink, Mili Atoll)
« Reply #195 on: February 08, 2016, 06:38:40 PM »

There have been issue verifications with the artifacts found on Mili Atoll. Not that they did or did not originate from Earhart's Lockheed 10, rather like TIGHAR, proving aircraft aluminum actually came from her plane is a different story. What is currently being undertaken is an attempt to prove consistency with specific aluminum that came from a known Lockheed 10 and no other type aircraft.  As you are all aware, that will not be good enough to satisfy doubters.

With that said, there is factual visual evidence that has been found which places Earhart and her plane in the Marshall Islands. It will hopefully be released within the next few months along with newly discovered documentary evidence supporting the Marshall Island capture of Earhart by the Japanese.

There is a lot more to this  "story" as Ric would say, but unless the Japanese cooperate, the final chapter will never be accepted.

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #196 on: February 08, 2016, 09:48:20 PM »

I find it very interesting that the "dust cover" found near Mili is significantly similar to two artifacts found on Nikumaroro this past summer, such that I suspect the objects from both islands are similar in function, and probably something from the fishing industry.  Compare the photos of what was found on Nikumaroro with the "dust cover".  Can you tell which one is which?  They all are about 8" in diameter, with a 2.5" approx center hole, and have the same crease around the center hole, and little holes around the outside edge.

Looks to me like we have three "dust covers" for an aircraft with two main landing gears, found on two different islands 1200 miles apart.  Or perhaps we have something that is more common in the Pacific than Electra dust covers.  Judge for yourself.

Not to mention that no dust covers are visible on Earhart's Electra.  That is something that I pointed out to the Mili Atoll folks long ago that has never been satisfactorily addressed.  And if it is a dust cover, how did it get separated from the rest of the wheel without damaging the center hole?  Doesn't seem likely that the wheel would take itself apart to release the non existent dust cover, but I suppose it could happen under some strange circumstances. 

I personally can't see that the "dust cover" is actually a Lockheed dust cover.

We can look forward to seeing the "factual visible evidence" but I'm not quite sure what that exactly means.  Are we talking eyewitness accounts?  Photographs?  What?

Sorry if I sound skeptical, but I am.

Andrew
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 10:28:08 PM by Andrew M McKenna »

Hal Banks

• T1
« Reply #197 on: February 09, 2016, 10:48:30 AM »

Could these be some sort of rat shield or guard for lines on a ship?
Hal
TIGHAR #2971

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #198 on: February 09, 2016, 10:55:56 AM »

Could these be some sort of rat shield or guard for lines on a ship?

We've wondered the same thing but they seem awfully light for that purpose.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #199 on: February 09, 2016, 11:01:54 AM »

The shipboard rats I am aware of would laugh at calling something like that a "rat guard."

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 EC
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #200 on: February 09, 2016, 11:35:27 AM »

Whatever they are I think it's safe to say that they're in current and fairly widespread use. The two we found at Niku were jammed in shoreward side of the beachfront coral on either side of the landing channel, as they had washed in with a big wave and got stuck when the wave receded. It's an area where, by necessity, we spend a lot of time every time we visit the island. The discs must be relatively recent arrivals.
When you think about it there are some interesting similarities to 2-2-V-1.  Lightweight metal gets washed ashore through the landing channel in a big storm.

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #201 on: February 09, 2016, 03:04:28 PM »

Another guess;.....Ends from an aluminum spool ( older versions than shown) for lightweight rope,hose, or wire, ...minus the tubular center piece?

http://www.sivallighting.com/images/products/detail/steelcablespool300_wm.jpg
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 03:03:53 PM by Jerry Germann »

Leslie G Kinney

• T1
« Reply #202 on: February 09, 2016, 04:47:56 PM »

I find it very interesting that the "dust cover" found near Mili is significantly similar to two artifacts found on Nikumaroro this past summer, such that I suspect the objects from both islands are similar in function, and probably something from the fishing industry.  Compare the photos of what was found on Nikumaroro with the "dust cover".  Can you tell which one is which?  They all are about 8" in diameter, with a 2.5" approx center hole, and have the same crease around the center hole, and little holes around the outside edge.

The artifact found on a small island northwest of Mili Island resembling a dust cover is approximately seven inches in diameter. The "hole fits perfectly (snug) over the landing gear axel of a Lockheed 10.  The artifact has paint residue containing reflective beads on one side. The other side of the artifact has evidence of glue residue and microscopic remnants of a gasket type material. The artifact shows evidence of trauma.( See the picture) At this time, no claims or representations are being made that the artifact originated from Earhart's Lockheed 10.

Not to mention that no dust covers are visible on Earhart's Electra.  That is something that I pointed out to the Mili Atoll folks long ago that has never been satisfactorily addressed.  And if it is a dust cover, how did it get separated from the rest of the wheel without damaging the center hole?  Doesn't seem likely that the wheel would take itself apart to release the non existent dust cover, but I suppose it could happen under some strange circumstances. .

If the artifact did come off Earhart's plane, the landing gear would have had to break loose causing one side of the Goodyear Air wheel to eventually break free leaving the axel exposed. As mentioned in a much earlier post, the theory is the plane was moved from the north side of the island to the lagoon side of the island in some sort of cradle over rails. There were old Japanese rail axels found on this three acre island. There was one iron rail found in the water approximately 100 feet from the beach. It is surmised that at some point along this route over land, the artifact described as a dust cover broke free.

There is one other artifact to be excited about. A piece of curved aluminum striping that fits perfectly around the interior wheel carriage of a Lockheed 10.

We can look forward to seeing the "factual visible evidence" but I'm not quite sure what that exactly means.  Are we talking eyewitness accounts?  Photographs?  What?

Yes photographic. There is also some documentary evidence that indicate Earhart was at some point in time in the Marshall Islands.

Monty Fowler

• T5
« Reply #203 on: February 09, 2016, 07:06:29 PM »

The artifact has paint residue containing reflective beads on one side.

OK, that doesn't sound like 1930s technology, maybe not even 1960s technology. Correct me if I'm wrong.

LTM,

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #204 on: February 09, 2016, 11:47:37 PM »

There is one other artifact to be excited about. A piece of curved aluminum striping that fits perfectly around the interior wheel carriage of a Lockheed 10.

Would you have any images of that item to share?

The artifact found on a small island northwest of Mili Island resembling a dust cover is approximately seven inches in diameter. The "hole fits perfectly (snug) over the landing gear axel of a Lockheed 10.  The artifact has paint residue containing reflective beads on one side. The other side of the artifact has evidence of glue residue and microscopic remnants of a gasket type material. The artifact shows evidence of trauma.( See the picture) At this time, no claims or representations are being made that the artifact originated from Earhart's Lockheed 10.

Could these trace elements be from the possible repurposing of the item by someone? Used for some sort of artwork?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 11:50:00 PM by Jerry Germann »

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #205 on: February 11, 2016, 12:21:08 AM »

Attachment shows a Kaiser industrial spool....heavier version,...may explain the circular pattern near the center hole, due to crimping pieces together during manufacture. It was my initial thought that if these are spool end pieces, that the four holes near the rim, may be holes for wire stays, to support the shape during transport. Below is a version of wire winder that has four brackets installed, that may also give clues as to why four holes would be near the rim.(  But this may be a homemade item).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 12:51:52 AM by Jerry Germann »

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #206 on: February 11, 2016, 01:02:24 AM »

Ok, Don't make fun of my tracing, I can't draw a straight,or curved line, nothing but squiggly with the paint pencil tool,...you get what you see. I know it's bad,but what I was trying to do, is trace around what looks to me like a silver band on the obverse sides of both artifacts. Maybe this isn't paint per say, but a protected area of the metal, wherby the elements didn't fade or damage the original surface appearance as much, as it did near the rim.  The band to me looks uniform, as if, that was the height of whatever material was there to protect the artifact surface...the remainder of the area, near the rim looks much worse for the wear....does that tell us anything?

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #207 on: February 11, 2016, 12:35:38 PM »

Les,.....Is this the strip of metal to which you were referring? Would you have some more images of that piece?

Monty Fowler

• T5
« Reply #208 on: February 11, 2016, 05:17:30 PM »

A ruler for scale would also be very helpful.

I'm puzzled by a couple of things: 1) The mention of reflective beading on the back of the putative dust cover. I find that very, very odd for something supposedly from the 1930s, and 2) The photo is too small to enlarge clearly, but there appears to be square "dimpling" on the intact oval-shaped piece, as well as the two partial oval-shaped pieces. I find that very, very odd for something that is supposed to be a cover or inspection plate on an aircraft.

LTM,

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #209 on: February 11, 2016, 05:52:28 PM »

I'm sorry Monty, I should have included the link where I found the photo and description; http://earhartonsaipan.blogspot.com/

Note that all the artifacts on the table have pretty much been dismissed as parts of the Electra, with the exception of the piece Les mentioned... the one I have the red arrows pointing to.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org