Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Dust cover and cover plate (Richard Spink, Mili Atoll)  (Read 260535 times)

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
Re: Dust cover and cover plate (Richard Spink, Mili Atoll)
« Reply #165 on: July 16, 2015, 10:08:00 PM »

Maybe Lantern parts to mark the landing channel.

I am starting to like that idea....maybe the metal that appears worked outward from the center, is remnants of solder or tinning a top on a latern, and what we are seeing is part of a lamp shade...see attachment.

Knock the top off , ( and bottom) and we may see an object like the cover ( lamp shade).

http://www.thepirateslair.com/nautical-naval-antiques-navigation-lights-lanterns.html
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 10:43:10 PM by Jerry Germann »

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #166 on: July 16, 2015, 11:16:15 PM »

I was thinking more of the reflector part or a housing for it.
There does not seem to be screw holes to attach it to something.  The tiny holes I thought I saw are probably just pitting that went through very thin metal. The center hole could be for the bulb. The outer rim held between glass and a ring. Similar to a flashlight. Those parts are internal and can be lightweight.
3971R

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #167 on: July 17, 2015, 06:09:53 AM »

I see what you mean,(Like the one in the attachment).....I was thinking more on the line of older units , light source provided by means of oil, rather than electrical. The center hole utilized as an outlet to the chimney.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 06:49:03 AM by Jerry Germann »

Steve Oster

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #168 on: July 17, 2015, 12:30:45 PM »

My money is on reflectors from kerosene lanterns used for night fishing. 

If similar artifacts have been discovered over a wide geographic area (i.e., Niku and Mili), and assuming they were used for the same purpose (not proven), then it seems reasonable that they must be associated with an activity that is occurring throughout the same geographic area.  Fishing fits the bill.  I Googled "night fishing kerosene lanterns" and quickly discovered the following images.

The pictures below are of night fishing in Africa, but another quick Google search turns up references to the same practice (night fishing w/kerosene lanterns) in Pacific region as well.

http://offgridlighting.org/Offgrid_Lighting/Projects/Pages/night-fishing-east-africa.html#6

Reflector in this image appears "homemade".  Here's another picture of a lantern and reflector in use:

http://offgridlighting.org/Offgrid_Lighting/Projects/Pages/night-fishing-east-africa.html#22

Some images on the internet depict use of pressurized kerosene lanterns, others show traditional wick lanterns. 
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 03:42:29 PM by Steve Oster »

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #169 on: July 17, 2015, 02:33:18 PM »

That sure makes sense to me, Steve.  Could you say maybe these reflectors were made from or repurposed from other items, like, say airplane wheel covers, or dust covers???
Bob S.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #170 on: July 17, 2015, 03:53:27 PM »

That sure makes sense to me, Steve.  Could you say maybe these reflectors were made from or repurposed from other items, like, say airplane wheel covers, or dust covers???

I can tell you that they do not have the "look" of an aviation-related structure.

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #171 on: July 17, 2015, 05:16:33 PM »

It appears the lantern reflectors seen in the sales ads with the lanterns attached mostly have a more domed shape, and the reflectors shown in the fishing pictures appear to be after-thoughts, or revised articles flattened just for the useage as shown. Make great frizbees! but  the fishing lanterns seem to be specially designed for that purpose and the reflectors made from something else that wasn't originally flat.(especially the ones with the metal buckets!)   
Bob S.

Steve Oster

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #172 on: July 18, 2015, 09:19:23 AM »

I find plenty of examples of relatively flat lantern reflectors (whether old or new).  Check out the two in use in this photo:

http://ecofinderkenya.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/100_3174.jpg

Here's an example commercially available today:

http://www.stpaulmercantile.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=75&products_id=274

Association with a lantern may also explain the dark discoloration visible on the artifact in image labelled "Reverse" in Ric's post #157.  Looks to me like the object has been in contact with flame or soot, but that's more than can be confirmed in a photo.

Ultimately, the artifact may have nothing to do with kerosene lanterns.  But I suggest the possibility because some lantern reflectors exhibit the right form factor and they are reportedly used in the environments we're evaluating (SW Pacific).
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 11:51:10 AM by Steve Oster »

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #173 on: July 18, 2015, 11:21:10 AM »

I agree with your basic idea that the round discs everybody seems to be finding, including Ric's example from the landing channel at Niku, could be reflectors from lanterns or lamps used possibly for landing lights or fishing. My point is that if the supposed reflectors have been flattened  for that specific use (to spread the light out for larger coverage or whatever reason), then they could possibly be made out of something that was not originally a part of the lantern including something that was not originally flat.
Bob S.

James Champion

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #174 on: July 18, 2015, 07:39:38 PM »

These dust covers look more like a rat shield or rat guard for a ships rope.  I really don't think it would be odd to find them where a ship might tie-up or anchor.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #175 on: July 18, 2015, 08:17:40 PM »

These dust covers look more like a rat shield or rat guard for a ships rope.  I really don't think it would be odd to find them where a ship might tie-up or anchor.

Google images suggests that rat guards have a section that can be opened to put the guard over the rope, then closed to keep the rats away.  That makes more sense to me than having to feed the rope through the hole.

But it is a great guess!
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #176 on: July 18, 2015, 08:21:27 PM »

Now  that you mention it, James, I think I remember seeing an article that the original rat guards were made from discarded wheel covers, or was it the other way around?? LOL
Bob S.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #177 on: July 19, 2015, 10:07:29 PM »

This thread is getting silly at a high rate of speed.

Or so it seems to me.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 EC
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 02:42:34 AM by Monty Fowler »

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #178 on: July 20, 2015, 07:07:59 AM »

True, Monty, there is some sillyness in this and other threads. But perhaps some of it can be helpful. What has been found in the so-called lantern or rat shields (or wheel covers) brings some interesting ideas, whether positive or negative to the Niku hypothesis.
1- native people to the islands are fishermen and fisherwomen, and are ingenious in improvising their methods.
2- what else could they have left that may or may not have anything to do with Amelia and her electra?
3- what have tighar expeditions found that may or may not be a part of the hypothesis?
4- the latest finds of Ric's discs in the landing channel may indicate there could be a lot more people interested in the island and landing there than we thought.
5- The discs of Ric and Spink are probably not related to aircraft, but are related to each other.
Bob S.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #179 on: July 20, 2015, 09:59:51 AM »

5- The discs of Ric and Spink are probably not related to aircraft, but are related to each other.

I think this is really the only useful conclusion that can be drawn.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org