Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Dust cover and cover plate (Richard Spink, Mili Atoll)  (Read 260479 times)

Friend Weller

• TIGHAR member
Re: Dust cover and cover plate (Richard Spink, Mili Atoll)
« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2014, 07:01:03 PM »

Great find!

I think it also explains how the "multi-disc" braking system worked.

Both the rotating and the fixed elements are free to slide in and out on the keys.

The braking must have been accomplished by pressing all the plates together, making the plates slide on their respective keyed hubs and producing friction between the rotating bronze disks and the fixed steel disks.  When pressure is released, the discs space themselves back out and the wheels turn freely again.

Very elegant!

Reminds me of my my motorcycle's wet clutch.....!!  If I could find a service manual diagram you'd agree....
Friend
TIGHAR 3086V

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2014, 08:52:28 PM »

Reminds me of my my motorcycle's wet clutch.....!!  If I could find a service manual diagram you'd agree....

Bunches of diagrams on Google.  I agree, I agree!
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2014, 11:32:17 PM »

It includes the landing gear ( though a different version of the 10E) and explains how things work inside the hub.....

The Model 14 is a completely different airplane than the Modl 10.  The military version was the Lockheed Hudson.

I believe the Model 10 also used a different type of brake - an expanding shoe / drum type, not rotors and stators which were more modern.  The correct manual / catalogue would tell (can't find at moment).
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2014, 11:47:39 PM »

Interesting that there is a "dust shield" internal to the brake in this L-14 brake system, but I'm not sure that is what the item recovered in Mili is thought to be.

Note on page 82 of the L-14 manual the instructions to remove the wheel:

REMOVAL OF WHEEL

1.  Remove cover plate (s) from face of wheel.
2.  Remove dust cap over axle nut.
3.  Remove AN 3 Bolt through castellations (?) of axle nut.
4.  Remove Axle nut.
5.  Slip wheel off axle being careful ...

see attached below

So, what exactly is the cover plate(s) in item no. 1  ?  I don't think it is shown in the exploded diagram of the brake system.

Did the L-10 have a similar item?  If so, and if it was intended to fit on the outside of the inboard hub, it should be some 12 inches in diameter, or at least designed to fit around the 12 inch diameter hub.  The object from Mili looks to be about 8 inches in diameter, and in the photo of the gentlemen sitting around the table with the airwheel on it have the "dust cover" on the smaller end, i.e. the outward side of the wheel, like a hub cap.  The ad posted by Marty show such a hub cap on the external hub, but the photos of AE's aircraft clearly show that there was not such hub cap installed on the outboard hubs during the world flight.

The more we get into this, the stranger it gets.

Andrew
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 11:54:17 PM by Andrew M McKenna »

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2014, 12:45:34 AM »

Andrew,

Concerning the dust shield on the L-14 brake assembly, ....it is my thought that it's purpose is to keep abrasives, water, etc out of the unit ....the bronze plates in my opinion would need to be protected from such in order to have a reasonable use life, as well as protecting the hydraulic acctuated piston from scratches, thus insuring it's ability in the containment of brake fluid. The Barre atoll party, are confident that the cover ( if it is such) fits on the outboard small end of the hub,....it seems reasonable to me, many examples of covers on the outboard end ( number 1 in the tireremoval procedure you mentioned)..it's like a hub cap.....keeping dirt /water out of the wheel bearings is important, as well as possibly protecting the air valve stem from damage. Why isn't it on any electra we see, I don't know , my guess is , maybe it was a big pain to deal with,....if it was designed the way the barre atoll people show it in their example, it has no air valve stem hole to add air, did it leak too much around what had to be a seal around the axle to function effectively, actually holding in more dirt than it kept out?....maybe a few other problems with it as well....( That is if it existed). Several views of the airwheel outboard hub show screw holes/ screws ....what if not holding a dust cover on is their purpose?

Jeff,

The link to the manual on the L-14 is dated 1937 ...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 01:13:36 AM by Jerry Germann »

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2014, 08:24:26 AM »

I am wondering if the use of the phrase dust cover regarding the object the barre atoll party found is in error....the luke field inventory papers list them as cover plates for wheels, along with the L-14 manual identifying them as cover plates, in the wheel removal procedure. The goodyear air wheels seem to function without them , there surely are means to keep out contaminents from the wheel bearings without them. In another perspective;...In my opinion ,..Goodyear in it's pursuit to offer a functional and attractive product seemed to give attention to not only the the mechanics of the product , but the asthetic as well...Are the wheel covers, just that ....not to keep dust out, but to provide an appealing look to the eye, (covering up the studs/burrs with the lock wires running through them).... and possibly an aerodynamics improvement as well?
      I have never seen one, ...Mr Hayton says in the article , that he had three wheels at one time, he used two , and still has one in his possesion. If he would be so kind to share an image of this wheel with the attached dust cover (cover plate?)....it would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 10:17:52 AM by Jerry Germann »

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2014, 09:02:54 AM »

... Goodyear in its pursuit to offer a functional and attractive product seemed to give attention to not only the the mechanics of the product , but the asthetic as well...Are the wheel covers, just that ....not to keep dust out, but to provide an appealing look to the eye, (covering up the studs/burrs with the lock wires running through them).... and possibly an aerodynamics improvement as well?

I tried searching for Goodyear Airwheel hub caps the other night, hoping to see some for the doghouse-style landing gear used on the Electra, but Goodyear seems to have also produced Airwheels for cars. 

I thought I might have seen some hubcaps on other aircraft that used the Airwheels, but none of the images were clear enough (to my taste).
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Brian Ainslie

• T1
« Reply #82 on: December 09, 2014, 11:47:30 AM »

Forgive my amateur question, but going back to the line of thought about the cover(s) being a "spare" part carried on the aircraft (per the Luke Field Inventory), but not actually installed....why would one carry that particular part as a spare? It seems awfully specific and not very crucial to the performance/survivability of the aircraft.

Also, why carry a "spare" for something not actually installed?

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2014, 12:34:18 PM »

Would there be some other kind of "cover plate" involved in the landing gear system?

Yes.  Lockheed Engineering Drawing 40409 shows "Cover Plate Surface Controls Wheel Shaft Housing".  I'm not sure where it goes but it's a skinny rectangular plate about 9 inches long by about 2 inches wide that looks nothing like the thing represented to be a "dust cover."   There are no other "cover plates" or "dust covers" listed among the 2,000 or so drawings.

Hmmm.  Curioser and curioser.  I think I know the meaning of each one of these words, but when they are all put in a row like this, I can't produce a clear meaning: ""Cover Plate Surface Controls Wheel Shaft Housing."

I suppose a peek inside an L-10 "Wheel Shaft Housing" would answer the question.  If I knew what a "Wheel Shaft Housing" is.  :(

At any rate, thanks for looking it up.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2014, 12:53:16 PM »

I believe the Model 10 also used a different type of brake - an expanding shoe / drum type, not rotors and stators which were more modern.  The correct manual / catalogue would tell (can't find at moment).

The catalogue shown in the Wheel of Fortune research report shows a "Multiple Disc Airwheel Hub."  The next entry in the catalog is entitled "Multiple Disc Brake."  The caption under the drawing of the hub says that this was used in the Lockheed L-10. 

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2014, 12:55:27 PM »

Ah, OK - thanks Marty!  My bad on that detail.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: December 09, 2014, 01:07:54 PM »

Beautiful photo of a Lockheed L-12 sporting what seems to be Airwheels with hub caps.  From a faithful reader, who notes that the use of hub caps is made possible by the "single yoke gear" on the 12 (as on the 14).

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #87 on: December 09, 2014, 02:08:31 PM »

The catalogue shown in the Wheel of Fortune research report shows a "Multiple Disc Airwheel Hub."  The next entry in the catalog is entitled "Multiple Disc Brake."  The caption under the drawing of the hub says that this was used in the Lockheed L-10. 

Concerning the catalog, does anyone here have access to it, or is it privately owned? Note the wheel photo in the wheel of fortune report;....It appears to be a Goodyear Air- wheel unit, installed on a double yoke, ....there are three (3) screw holes on the edge of the hub rim....what would attach there?

Forgive my amateur question, but going back to the line of thought about the cover(s) being a "spare" part carried on the aircraft (per the Luke Field Inventory), but not actually installed....why would one carry that particular part as a spare? It seems awfully specific and not very crucial to the performance/survivability of the aircraft.

Also, why carry a "spare" for something not actually installed?

My thought is;  (I could be wrong)... that they weren't spares , they might have been original equipment, and brought along for a just in case scenario, or they came with the plane so leave them in storage, along with any other unused accessory that may have accompanied it during purchase. In my opinion; for what it is worth, ..( I could be wrong again) ....during the lightening of the Electra at Lae, I would assume, that if they had been aboard ( as mentioned in the first attempt , and if the cover plates are actually what Mr Spink says they are), that they at that time may have been considered useless dead weight and left behind, (as it appears they weren't used during the second attempt through photos of the wheels during that journey).

Help.....
            In this critical past video;     http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675063657_Amelia-Earhart-Putnam_Fred-Noonan_transatlantic-flight_Fred-Noonan  ,  .... at times while Paul Mantz is using the scale, one can see round type objects behind him ,....one looks like an inner tube? What are the other round objects?

P.S.    What are flight covers? Could the wheel covers listed in the Luke field inventory, be something other than aluminum? ( though they are referred to as plates).
http://e-archives.lib.purdue.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/earhart/id/380/rec/522
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 04:14:12 PM by Jerry Germann »

Jeff Scott

• T2
« Reply #88 on: December 09, 2014, 08:07:48 PM »

P.S.    What are flight covers? Could the wheel covers listed in the Luke field inventory, be something other than aluminum? ( though they are referred to as plates).
http://e-archives.lib.purdue.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/earhart/id/380/rec/522

The flight covers were stamped envelopes she was taking around the world for sale as collectibles after her return. Hence, why they are being delivered by the Oakland Postmaster. Nothing to do with landing gear components.
It's not too late to be great.

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #89 on: December 10, 2014, 07:59:53 AM »

Thanks Jeff,
                   I thought as much,....( didn't see them listed in the Luke field inventory )......concerning the Airwheel pictured in the Wheel of fortune report.... that assembly is explained to fit on a single yoke gear, Lockheed 12 junior as well..... and seems that craft has cover plates ,( as per Marty's post on an example).....could explain the screw holes in the Earhart Electra hubs , multi-uses.....
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 11:58:39 AM by Jerry Germann »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org