Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ATOLL RESEARCH BULLETIN  (Read 15723 times)

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
ATOLL RESEARCH BULLETIN
« on: August 18, 2014, 07:49:44 AM »

Surveys and research conducted in the Phoenix Islands 2000-2002 including Nikumaroro and references to dives, ROV, surveys and photographs. Has anyone seen any evidence of images/footage taken during these expeditions?
Note the problems encountered around Niku with ROV, diving etc... sounds familiar. A very interesting article.

https://repository.si.edu/bitstream/handle/10088/16740/PhoenixIslands_BOOK.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

This must be the place

James G. Stoveken

• T2
Re: ATOLL RESEARCH BULLETIN
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 11:07:12 AM »

Thanks Jeff.  Authored, among others, by Greg Stone of TIGHAR's Wheel of Fortune fame.
Jim Stoveken

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 11:30:46 AM »

Interesting report.  Ric could relate the history better than I, but it was TIGHAR's use of the Naia that got Rob Barrell and Cat Holloway interested in the Phoenix Islands as we chartered the boat for our trips to Nikumaroro.  They were so impressed with the pristine conditions and abundant fauna they found that they related the amazing opportunity to Greg Stone and others to visit and study these reefs.  That led to the 2000 and later NEAQ trips out there.

In 2001 When we dove much of the reef between the landing channel and the NW tip of the island, it was an incredibly vital reef, but by 2007 when we returned, the lack of fish in terms of numbers and diversity was noticeably reduced.

It is good to see that a reef can rehabilitate itself, provided the adverse conditions subside.

Andrew

Krystal McGinty-Carter

• TIGHAR member
  • Kilo Mike
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 01:20:21 PM »

I cant get the page to load.  *grumpyface*

pilotart

• T3
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 05:58:22 PM »

I cant get the page to load....
It's a pdf, update your Adobe, or install a different pdf reader.

http://www.pdfreaders.org/                  or 

http://lifehacker.com/5328211/five-best-pdf-readers

I used to like foxit, but then it was trouble...

Art Johnson

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 09:22:51 PM »

I believe there were a number of surveys completed prior to the coral bleaching which occurred in the Phoenix Islands 2002-2005?
This must be the place

Krystal McGinty-Carter

• TIGHAR member
  • Kilo Mike
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 09:41:26 PM »

@Pilotart.  Im still at work and I think our firewall isnt letting me open it. Ill see if I can read it when I get home. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org