Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AE letters on Antiques Roadshow  (Read 5326 times)

Gloria Walker Burger

• TIGHAR member
AE letters on Antiques Roadshow
« on: October 06, 2014, 06:30:41 PM »

My sister was watching a recent Antiques Roadshow from Knoxville, TN where letters written by Amelia Earhart came up for an estimate. She knew of my interest and contacted me immediately. A man had 8 letters from Amelia to his great Aunt Pat who was a friend of Amelia's through her husband, Porter Adams, a man in aviation. They were so close that Amelia was Pat's Maid of Honor at her wedding. In addition to the 8 letters, there was a picture of the wedding with Amelia as Maid of Honor, and a telegram. The woman estimating the collection said that the telegram was not worth nearly as much as the letters. The telegram said, "Amelia safe in Ireland plane undamaged Cheerio." They estimated the collection at $12,000 to $18,000. I found the program On Demand on Xfinity, and watched it tonight--it is still available, though I think it ends 10/7. I found it interesting. Wish we could know the contents of each letter...
Gloria
TIGHAR #3760

Gloria Walker Burger

• TIGHAR member
Re: AE letters on Antiques Roadshow
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 07:01:47 PM »

The man with the collection said his Great Aunt had a great admiration for Amelia and talked of the last flight she made saying, "Most of her friends were trying to discourage it because technically she wasn't the most proficient pilot, she was just a great adventurer, [had] tremendous courage, and just had that spirit, and they were concerned because this was a very technical flight, the navigator as everybody knows had some history..., and the equipment including the radio, as we later found out, wasn't very good, so they were concerned that maybe this was a little bit too risky." 

Of course this was just his memory of his Great Aunt's memory. Nevertheless, interesting.

The estimator said that, "Prices for her (Amelia) manuscript have very much appreciated in the last 10 or 15 years." Does this have anything to do with TIGHAR's efforts?...
Gloria
TIGHAR #3760

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org