Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shelter in the heart of the Buka Trees  (Read 5660 times)

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
Shelter in the heart of the Buka Trees
« on: September 07, 2014, 05:37:22 AM »

Ric,

Yesterday, I was glancing at a 2010 video that you had posted in regards to your favorite crab that you had named, As I was watching you struggle to pull this thing out it made me do some thinking as to the possibilty of the castaways using these cut outs in the trees for shelter. As I was glancing at this, the inner shell of the tree looks big enough for anyone to crawl up into and seek shelter from the sun or rain. So with that, my question is did the teams on expeditions of the past check these unique features in the trees and did they find anything. Also, with the expeditions of the past and noticing the trees around the seventh site...have any of these trees changed in anyway that you can tell. Say for example....by age and weathering. What I'm really trying to find out here...is the strength and durability of these trees and can they last for say 75 years?

Mark Samuels

• T1
Re: Shelter in the heart of the Buka Trees
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 07:39:12 AM »

Ric,

Yesterday, I was glancing at a 2010 video that you had posted in regards to your favorite crab that you had named, As I was watching you struggle to pull this thing out it made me do some thinking as to the possibilty of the castaways using these cut outs in the trees for shelter. As I was glancing at this, the inner shell of the tree looks big enough for anyone to crawl up into and seek shelter from the sun or rain. So with that, my question is did the teams on expeditions of the past check these unique features in the trees and did they find anything. Also, with the expeditions of the past and noticing the trees around the seventh site...have any of these trees changed in anyway that you can tell. Say for example....by age and weathering. What I'm really trying to find out here...is the strength and durability of these trees and can they last for say 75 years?

Randy, I believe this link should answer most of your questions.

Edit note: link repaired by J. Neville
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 08:15:14 AM by Jeffrey Neville »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Shelter in the heart of the Buka Trees
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 03:45:28 PM »

I've been "inside" some of the big bukas.  Not a place I'd pick for shelter.  Damp, buggy, and often home to coconut crabs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org