Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A gathering o TIGHARs  (Read 11766 times)

Jeff Lange

• TIGHAR member
A gathering o TIGHARs
« on: August 30, 2014, 07:43:27 PM »

I just want to say what a wonderful day it was at TIGHAR headquarters today! Good weather, good fellowship, good food and lots of interesting information shared. I personally want to thank Ric and Pat for hosting the event and for putting on such a great dinner. It was nice to meet a whole lot of new TIGHARs and to see some older friends again. We have such a diverse group of wonderful, like minded people in this organization and it was a real treat to have the chance to get together with you.

Thanks again to Ric, Pat, Tom King, and Jeff Glickman for your presentations. It was well worth the trip!
Jeff Lange

# 0748CR

Gloria Walker Burger

• TIGHAR member
Re: A gathering o TIGHARs
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 08:37:29 PM »

I, too, want to thank Ric, Pat, Tom King, and Jeff Glickman for a wonderful, informational gathering of TIGHARs. Dinner was delicious and the talks and conversations were so interesting. It pleased me so much to be able to see and talk to people with whom I've been posting on the forum for years. Thanks, Ric for taking the time to show us and discuss some of the artifacts found on Nikumaroro.  What a surprise that Dick Evans from the Loran Station showed up. Very cool to talk with him.

Thanks TIGHAR and all who came today! I loved meeting you all!
Gloria
TIGHAR #3760

Gus Rubio

• T2
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 11:20:50 AM »

Sounds like a great time.  Any pics from the evening?

Is there a single picture, perhaps even from this gathering, that shows all the physical evidence on hand to date?  I'd love to see that all together- the patch, the freckle cream jar, the sextant box, etc. 

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 02:14:18 PM »

Sounds like a great time.  Any pics from the evening?

Is there a single picture, perhaps even from this gathering, that shows all the physical evidence on hand to date?  I'd love to see that all together- the patch, the freckle cream jar, the sextant box, etc.

Here is a small sampling.

1.  Jeff Glickman leads the assembly in an old fashioned, tent meeting, hand-clapping rendition of The Earhart Song. (not really)
2.  Ted Campbell joins in.  Dr. Tom King (left) and Ron Blecha (right) aren't buying it. (just kidding)
3.  Surprise guest, Coast Guard Loran Station veteran Dick Evans, tells tales of his time on Gardner Island, aka "the rock." (really)
4.  A selection of artifacts laid out for show and tell.

It was a day of good weather, good questions, good discussions, good humor, good food, and good people.  We had a blast. 

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 10:12:08 AM »

What a fabulous looking facility and grounds!  Hope to see it some day soon. 
TIGHAR Member #4154

Timothy Smith

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 07:18:07 PM »

I really enjoyed it!  Thanks again to Ric and Pat :)  I've got a lot of reading to do before I understand hyperspectral imaging.

Tim Smith 1142CE
Tim Smith
1142CE

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 06:48:16 PM »

A few more photos courtesy of Bill Mangus.  You guys really need to get yourselves some of the new "reality wear" T-shirts.

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 03:48:07 PM »

What a surprise that Dick Evans from the Loran Station showed up. Very cool to talk with him.

It must have been great to talk to Dick Evans.  Was anything new learned from him?
 I was curious if he gave more detail about the condition of the Norwich City, specifically the forecastle area, since he was able to climb up to the forepeak.

Interesting quotes from Dick Evans and reports from the Bushnell crew members who visited the captain’s cabin (or what they thought was his cabin).
3971R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 03:52:27 PM »

It must have been great to talk to Dick Evans.  Was anything new learned from him?

I was busy elsewhere and didn't hear most of what he said but I know he was asked if anyone in the unit by any chance used rouge.  He said they used lots of different substances to try to protect electrical connections from corrosion but not rouge.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 04:45:45 PM »

You guys really need to get yourselves some of the new "reality wear" T-shirts.

Alas, mine arrived just too late for the annual staff meeting ... but I'm sure an appropriate moment will arise in the very near future.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org