Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Niku VIII Funding  (Read 209551 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Niku VIII Funding
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2014, 02:33:59 PM »

Does the climate study continue to be within the scope of Niku VIII?

Yes.  We're not talking about it as much because that aspect of the trip did not generate any funding (apparently ocean science enthusiasts are as broke as we are) and the whole climate change thing seems to upset a lot of people.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 02:38:04 PM by Ric Gillespie »

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2014, 02:41:36 PM »

WHAT climate change... ?  ;D
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2014, 02:47:24 PM »

Like I said.....

Krystal McGinty-Carter

• TIGHAR member
  • Kilo Mike
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2014, 02:53:10 PM »

Ric, having visited Niku so many times over the years, how has the shorline changed since the first time you visited? Ovbiously there has been damage and overwash from storms and the proliferation of various foliage but has the overall shorline changed, such as the reef flat? Do you notice that the tides seem lower or higher. Does the island seem like it changes or does it seem relatively the same? I always found it fascinating.  Its so far from nowhere and just sits there alone.  It has to be surreal every time you visit. 

Mark Samuels

• T1
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2014, 04:23:16 PM »

This Climate Change..?

pilotart

• T3
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2014, 08:04:28 PM »

... and I added a bunch of new perks.  More to come plus illustrations of what stuff looks like. We'll probably also drop about $300 to hire an outfit that claims to be able to greatly increase our exposure. This crowd funding business is interesting.  You have to learn how to play the game.  You can't just set it up, sit back and wait for the money to roll in.  It requires constant attention and improvement.
It looks like you have an excellent presentation there.  Adding perks should increase response, but the surprising fact is that as of now, half or so of the donations have been 'perk-free' (if you add perks claimed compared to total received).

That indigo video with Betty in it was great, is that from one of the Discovery DVD's included with 'Research Membership'?  I'm too poor to visit gift shops, but since you have a preview on site, perhaps that/they would be a draw as a stand-alone perk.

Is there any way to keep the site active or restarted after August 31?

I would think that most 'Crowd-Funding' does have a true time-line for their projects, but TIGHAR in addition to being probably unique as a 501c3, most certainly qualifies as a true on-going project.
Art Johnson

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2014, 08:16:53 PM »

Ric, having visited Niku so many times over the years, how has the shorline changed since the first time you visited? Ovbiously there has been damage and overwash from storms and the proliferation of various foliage but has the overall shorline changed, such as the reef flat? Do you notice that the tides seem lower or higher. Does the island seem like it changes or does it seem relatively the same? I always found it fascinating.  Its so far from nowhere and just sits there alone.  It has to be surreal every time you visit.

Krystal 

Yes, every time we get there it is surreal, a magical moment realized, with Nei Manganibuka presiding.  Hard to describe the experience, but it is a combination of expectation and imagination combined with the realization of reaching one of the most remote places on earth. 

The shoreline has changed a bit over time but not so much since we've started visiting the island.  There has been some discussion about storm damage between the 2001 and 2003 trips as observed by Howard Alldred during NIKU VP.  He observed what he believed was significant erosion and storm damage on the colonial village side of the landing channel, which was widely reported at the time.

One of the problems with Howard's observations is that he had not been there in 2001, and I subsequently showed through comparative photos that the same features that Howard attributed to storms between 2001 and 2003 were actually already there when we visited in 2001.

That said, the island certainly is subject to terrific storm and waves at times, including the colonial village shoreline, but the overall shoreline hasn't really changed much since the first aerial photos were taken.  In 2001, the Baureke passage was completely filled with sand, yet in 2007 and 2010 it was open and flowing.  The cloudiness of the lagoon was adversely affected in 2001 (the year we did most of the lagoon diving) without the secondary channel to the lagoon.

Somewhere Ric did an overlay of the 1939 aerial photo with the 2001? sat photo that revealed much of the changes in shoreline.  I'll see if I can dig it out.

In 2001, Gardner One, the Benchmark left by the NZ survey, was well within the sand bar just inside the passage, yet by 2010 it was standing out in the water by itself, so there definitely is movement of the shoreline with regards to the sand.  My impression is that it comes and goes, year by year.

There is some evidence - aerial photos - that the shore near the 7 site has grown over time towards the sea, perhaps 100-200 ft since 1940.

Overall, we can see in historical photos that things like the delta of sand on the inlet side of the main channel has grown over the last 50 years but the basic shoreline is remarkably similar to what it was in 1940.

Overall, the atoll is essentially growing on the eastern side and getting eroded on the western side, but I don't think we can attribute anything to sea level rise - just yet.  The effects of sea level rise are primarily to be seen in the future, but will be devastating to the current version of above high tide Nikumaroro.  Ultimately, the reef will adapt and grow to meet the new sea levels, as it has in the past, and there will be an island or at least a reef there, but the areas of human habitation between 1937 and 1963 may be completely underwater in the future.

I hope that helps your understanding.

Andrew

Krystal McGinty-Carter

• TIGHAR member
  • Kilo Mike
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2014, 08:23:35 PM »

Id be interested to see if there are any takers on the ""Dinner With Ric."      :P

Krystal McGinty-Carter

• TIGHAR member
  • Kilo Mike
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2014, 08:27:58 PM »

Andrew, I wont quote your post for the sake of space saving, but thank you for that description.  I can imagine what it must be like to see it come into view on the horizon.  You are certainly VERY lucky to be able to see that part of the world. 

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2014, 08:33:30 PM »

... and the whole climate change thing seems to upset a lot of people.

Fraud is very upsetting. It is usually related to some form of money grabbing.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2014, 08:48:59 PM »

Fraud is very upsetting. It is usually related to some form of money grabbing.

So is paradigm shift.  It is usually related to some form of entrenched money grabbing that doesn't like the change.

Andrew

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2014, 08:52:34 PM »

Andrew, I wont quote your post for the sake of space saving, but thank you for that description.  I can imagine what it must be like to see it come into view on the horizon.  You are certainly VERY lucky to be able to see that part of the world.

Yup, when the island comes into view, especially after at least 3 days at sea, it is a magical moment.

I'm amazed that I've been able to get there 3 times in my life. 

I can only hope to return someday, it is a constant thought.

Andrew

Krystal McGinty-Carter

• TIGHAR member
  • Kilo Mike
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2014, 09:14:27 PM »

Yup, when the island comes into view, especially after at least 3 days at sea, it is a magical moment.

I'm amazed that I've been able to get there 3 times in my life. 

I can only hope to return someday, it is a constant thought.

Andrew

.... Ive gotta come up with $30K. ........then there is my paralyzing fear of water....

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2014, 09:25:24 PM »

[/quote]

.... Ive gotta come up with $30K. ........then there is my paralyzing fear of water....
[/quote]

Ha!  Believe it or not, there are NIKU veterans who can't swim, or suffer terrible seasickness, so these things can be overcome with the right motivation. 

There is always a moment during the trip up when you look out and see nothing but water, hours upon hours on end, and you realize that there is a whole lot of water out there covering this planet.  Makes one appreciate how small a place like Nikumaroro is, and how small we as individuals are in the grand scheme of things.

amck

Krystal McGinty-Carter

• TIGHAR member
  • Kilo Mike
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2014, 09:30:54 PM »

Oh, I can swim. Im a strong swimmer....for fear of drowning!  Lets just say, if I ever went to Niku, you wouldnt find me wading across the lagoon inlet!  Forget being rammed by a shark.  Id probably end up as a side dish!

-Krystal "Shark Bait" McGinty
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 09:44:57 PM by Krystal McGinty-Carter »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org