Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bones found in Fiji  (Read 75341 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Bones found in Fiji
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2014, 06:10:38 PM »

I found the documentary a must for those who are interested in air crash survival.

Personally, I'm more focused on air crash prevention.

Tim Gard

• T3
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2014, 07:26:19 PM »

I found the documentary a must for those who are interested in air crash survival.

Personally, I'm more focused on air crash prevention.

Agreed.

It seems to me that there's a place for studying those disasters that at the time were, or seemed at the time to be, unforeseeable.

/ Member #4122 /
/Hold the Heading/

« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 09:29:40 AM by Tim Gard »

Jeff Scott

• T2
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2014, 01:34:03 AM »

Commercials have started airing for the premiere of this Expedition Unknown show on the Travel Channel. The 2-hour-long first episode about Amelia Earhart airs January 8.  The host apparently spends his time in New Guinea and Fiji.

http://www.travelchannel.com/tv-shows/expedition-unknown/episodes/amelia-earhart
It's not too late to be great.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2014, 01:13:19 PM »

"In the 2-hour season premiere of Expedition Unknown, adventurer Josh Gates hunts down new evidence on the disappearance of Amelia Earhart. He treks to uncharted tribal lands in Papua New Guinea and ends his journey in Fiji, hoping to uncover the pilot’s remains." Allllllllllllllllllllll righty then! Just a few queries:

1) If he's trekking uncharted tribal lands, then how did he find them? Trekking implies being able to somehow locate yourself on the big blue marble I like to call Earth. Uncharted indicates he was just wandering around somewhere.

2) Fiji and pilot's remains would be, I guess, the missing bones from Gallagher's find on Gardner? Maybe Josh has an inside track (or would that be trek?, see above) into the inner workings of the government of Fiji?

3) I must stop trying to apply logic to television mockumentaries. Back to fine-tuning the eggnog recipe.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2014, 03:32:55 PM »

The snake oil miracle cure peddlers never left us.  These are the same guys - they just dropped the painted wagon in favor of first class travel.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2014, 04:16:19 PM »

Here's what I know about adventurer Josh Gates and his Fiji bones. Last summer some TIGHAR researchers chasing a rumor tracked down a 1968 story in the Fiji Times about a kid who found a skull under his porch.  A close look at the poor-quality photo that accompanied the article seemed to indicate that skull was not the one found on Gardner (no broken right cheek bone). Enter adventurer Josh Gates who learns about TIGHAR's inquiry into the incident, locates the kid (now grown), goes to the house, and crawls around under the porch looking for more bones. This makes for great television.  Adventurer Josh Gates finds a bunch of bones under the porch but it's not at all clear whether they're human or otherwise. He calls in the police who take custody of the bones. Adventurer Josh Gates leaves on the next flight out of the country.  Rumors circulated that the house was once owned or rented by Dr. Hoodless who examined the Niku bones, but those rumors turned out to be groundless. I'm not aware of anything further from the police.
Last fall adventurer Josh Gates was here at TIGHAR HQ with a film crew to interview your obedient servant. I have no recollection of what we talked about but I do recall that I was astounded by the amount of equipment the six-person film crew had with them and by the youth and inexperience of the crew.  It took them four hours to shoot what our video guru Mark Smith can shoot better in half an hour.
I have no idea what the Travel Channel show will have to say about Amelia Earhart but I'll be hiding under the bed on January 8th.

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2014, 07:59:13 PM »

Under the bed - now THAT is droll!!!  ;D

Beats crawling under that porch in Fiji!
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org