Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to submit new post-loss radio traffic findings  (Read 22830 times)

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
How to submit new post-loss radio traffic findings
« on: June 12, 2010, 05:12:01 PM »

I've started a simple timeline to keep track of Forum findings.

You may look at the xml file used in the timeline, if you wish.

Each entry has three parts:

• A date or date-and-time.
  • A title to be shown on the timeline.
  • Some notes about the event.

You may post your findings to this thread or to the original thread.

Happy hunting!
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ashley Such

• T3
Re: How to submit new post-loss radio traffic findings
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 07:35:16 PM »

Good idea, Marty. :) Where are the likely places to find (if any) lost radio transmissions?

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 10:17:54 PM »

Good idea, Marty. :) Where are the likely places to find (if any) lost radio transmissions?

This was the original question concocted after last year's EPAC, where the idea of asking people to "Join the Search" was developed:

"Would you please read the newspaper accounts from your vicinity for July 2 to July 16?  Are there any stories about people hearing broadcasts from Earhart and Noonan?"

After getting a couple of replies in the Forum thread, I realized that there are two sources that might be especially helpful:

- Local newspaper accounts that did NOT get picked up by the press services.  Are there any such?

- The archives of the press services themselves (AP, UP).  It would be great to know what went out on the wire--that is a better time marker than what got picked up by local editors and published in their newspapers.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ashley Such

• T3
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 10:23:52 PM »

Ahhhh, gotcha. So, maybe a library would do... I'm sure some libraries would have some archival news clips, if any. :)

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 09:22:41 AM »

Ahhhh, gotcha. So, maybe a library would do... I'm sure some libraries would have some archival news clips, if any. :)

Yes, exactly.

And local papers may not be indexed.  Even if they are, the index may not be available on the internet.

It's a long shot.  It's not the kind of research that would break the case wide open.  It's for those folks who enjoy reading old newspapers and playing detective.  ;o)

It takes all kinds to make a Forum.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ashley Such

• T3
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 03:24:46 PM »

Marty, I'll see if I can go to a library sometime where I live and see if there's any (if, at all) old newspapers dating from the 1930's. :) This should be fun; pretending to be Nancy Drew. ;)

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 04:45:57 PM »

Marty, I'll see if I can go to a library sometime where I live and see if there's any (if, at all) old newspapers dating from the 1930's. :) This should be fun; pretending to be Nancy Drew. ;)

That's the spirit!

It shouldn't take long to read seven days of newspapers.

You'll travel through time.

You may turn up something interesting.

If all goes well, it will be fun, regardless of what you find.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ashley Such

• T3
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 06:26:15 PM »

I just came back from my local library and looked where the magazines/newspapers are... I couldn't find anything dating back from that time period unless if the archives are stored away somewhere? Then again, my grandpa works at that library, so I'm sure he'd know if anything of the sort would exist.

And, it's my pleasure. Anything to do for our Amelia. :)

EDIT: I just got off the phone with my grandpa, and he said he'll ask tomorrow to see if the library has anything on microfilm dating back to 1937.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 06:31:05 PM by Ashley »

Kevin Weeks

• T3
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 12:18:41 PM »

Marty, I haven't read much on the post loss radio transmissions but I did go to the page you had setup for them. do we have dates for the rest of the post loss traffic? I know there were lots more than what you have listed. The post loss signals listed on the page make no sense to me as they are all on or after july 7 which if I am not mistaken is the day the navy overflew the island. If the plane was still intact enough to transmit during low tide, I'm sure it would have shown on the reef during high tide when overflown.

Ashley Such

• T3
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 01:56:12 PM »

It looks like I'll have to make a trip to ASU (Arizona State University)'s library to see if they have anything on microfilm... Hopefullly, I'll have the chance to go over there and check it out. :)

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 01:41:02 PM »

Marty, I haven't read much on the post loss radio transmissions but I did go to the page you had set up for them. Do we have dates for the rest of the post loss traffic?

I plan to add the best documented post-loss messages Any Day Now.  The day I created the timeline page, I just picked a few items to get started as a "proof of concept."  I spent several hours learning how to hack the javascript so that I could show the days of the week (Sun .. Sat) associated with the dates.  If you don't see those, try refreshing the page in your browser.  I hadn't actually transferred my hack to the live page until just now.   :'(

I know there were lots more than what you have listed. The post loss signals listed on the page make no sense to me as they are all on or after July 7 which if I am not mistaken is the day the navy overflew the island. If the plane was still intact enough to transmit during low tide, I'm sure it would have shown on the reef during high tide when overflown.

A report published on July 7th cannot be about an event taking place on the 7th.  That's why I'd like to get back to the original sources for the AP and other wire-service stories. 

Of course, late reports of post-loss messages are also suspect because of the limited fuel left on board the aircraft.  But the point of this exercise, such as it is, is to cast a wide net.  If junk comes in, it will just have to be sorted out--but it belongs on the timeline if it's in the newspapers.  Even if all late messages are hoaxes or misinterpretations, the existence of such reports would give evidence about how many mistakes were made in such reports.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Kevin Weeks

• T3
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 10:10:19 AM »

A report published on July 7th cannot be about an event taking place on the 7th.  That's why I'd like to get back to the original sources for the AP and other wire-service stories. 

Of course, late reports of post-loss messages are also suspect because of the limited fuel left on board the aircraft.  But the point of this exercise, such as it is, is to cast a wide net.  If junk comes in, it will just have to be sorted out--but it belongs on the timeline if it's in the newspapers.  Even if all late messages are hoaxes or misinterpretations, the existence of such reports would give evidence about how many mistakes were made in such reports.

most all of the reports listed on the timeline give the day they heard the message in the article as wednesday, july 7th or later. Most of them were on the 7th.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org