Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bevington Object / Sonar anomaly  (Read 72096 times)

richie conroy

• T5
Re: Bevington Object / Sonar anomaly
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2015, 06:26:35 PM »

Thanks Jeff and Gary

I would prefer the sonar anomaly to be the Tighar sonar anomaly for now, as Ric has said previously if he called it the Conroy anomaly and it turns out to be a big rock or an unknown boat or plane i would basically be slaughtered by the world press and as the leader of Tighar it should be him that takes the Flack  :-\

Also it's not my wish to take credit for Tighar's hard work just for spotting a shadow on an image, If it is the bird we should all take credit for being part of a brilliant hard working team that is Tighar, If it ain't am sure Ric and co will bring back some thing else back for us to mull over as they usually do  ;D

Thanks Richie  ;)
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2015, 05:32:06 PM »

Well said, Mr. Conroy sir.  *thumb's up*

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 12:54:19 PM by Monty Fowler »

George Lam

• T2
« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2015, 02:32:38 PM »

After reading through various discussions on sub-water movement patterns/current flows at Niku on the forum, I'm curious as to underwater currents at the depth of the anomaly.  It was mentioned that shallow waters at the reef will experience the greatest wave energy, and deep waters below an undetermined threshold are typically calm and undisturbed, even with a hurricane above.  I've read about specific locations in deep trenches or underwater ridges that give way to massive waves that don’t show on the surface.  For example, submariners during World War II were known to avoid the Strait of Gibraltar because of its internal waves.

“Scientists have made the first measurements of internal waves breaking at a crucial spot in the Pacific. About 200 miles northeast of Samoa, a huge volume of seawater — equal to 35 Amazon rivers — barrels through a narrow underwater channel, then wends its way into the depths of the northern Pacific. Researchers led by University of Washington oceanographer Matthew Alford found that 800-foot-high internal waves act like a gargantuan mixer at the spot, churning together seawaters of different saltiness and temperature until they're thoroughly blended together.”
Source: http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2014/05/22/towering-underwater-waves/9178513/

Of course, the area right off the reef’s edge at Niku is probably not affected by this type of action. However I’m curious as to the incremental, if any, movement of the sonar anomaly or other free-resting underwater features.  Maybe it will be in the same spot as 2012, maybe not.  As for the potential “debris field” targets off the Bevington Object, those look to be enveloped with coral, and possibly hardened in place. Just a thought until we see the results of the current ROV dive of 2015.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 02:35:06 PM by Greg Ladjimi »

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2015, 10:36:45 AM »

So glad to hear from Richie!!  And that all is OK!   
TIGHAR Member #4154

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org